Sign in to follow this  
Chef

Double tailed bass?!

My good friend Don caught this baby in California today.

He was actually fishing for trout when something BIG took his treble hook.

He only had a 6# test line so he had to take it easy and tire it out.

As the fish surfaced, all he saw were two tails!, as it swam into the deep again.

After a few more minutes of struggle he had it in the boat.

The bass actually took the hook, how the other fish came into the picture, who knows?!

He placed it in the live well and they would splash around every now and again.

He took it to a friends house where his wife snapped the pics.

He was actually able to pull the fish out of the bass' mouth but it took a long time.

Both fish actually swam around in a little tub before becoming lunch.

Pretty cool I say!

post-67-1267243215.jpg

post-67-1267243238_thumb.jpg

post-67-1267243264_thumb.jpg

I was fishing for crappie at Bartlett lake years ago, and had a decent stringer of slabs. I look down at my stringer and there is a bass hanging there - HUGE - eyeing the crappie on the stringer. Next slab on the line comes out of the water with the same humongous bass chasing it. Both fish came broke the surface, and I kid you not, the crappie was over a pound and a half, and the bass was easily 8-9 pounds.

Shortly after I was telling my neighbor about it, and OMG, he's a big bass tourney guy and NO WAY were there any bass that big in Bartlett. He basically called me a liar - or suggested I couldn't identify a bass. LOL. It was clear, this honking bass was all over my catch that day, and he wouldn't chase a crankbait, or anything else I threw at him. Biggest bass I've seen up close for sure. The image of him breaking the surface chasing a solid 1-pound-plus slab, along with his pectoral fins gyrating just below my stringer --- man what I would do to be back on that rock and sink a hook in that guy!

Too cool. I have caught a bass with a rainbow trout halfway down the bass's throat. That looks to be decent size crappie the way it looks from the pic. Awesome!

Very cool .... I have seen big bass take hooked fish a couple times as they were being reeled in and a few months ago watched one try to choke one down in the Tank at BASS Pro but it was too big and was killing it ... the workers spent a good amount of time fishing them out from above always cool to see mother nature at work .... thanks for sharing

Now there's a fishing story for around the camp fire. Thanks for sharing the picture of your friend. :)

TJ

I've seen two bass "fused" together like that with a shad in the mix. My guess was they were both going for the same lunch and one ended up looking down the other ones throat. I separated them and they both swam away. Funny stuff. I wonder if the bass and crappie were both going for your buddy's bait at the same time.

Pretty dang cool there Hector. Thanks for sharing and cool that your buddy got some pics.

I wonder if the bass and crappie were both going for your buddy's bait at the same time.

That's a possibility I had not considered!

Phil, The crazy thing is, if it wasn't for his friends wife, we wouldn't have the puddin'!

I told him he could have made the local paper!