firstcoueswas80

anyone gonna be carying new gear this year?

well, i got to lookin at some OLD posts and i saw doug posted this for new rifles last year. i will be carrying a ton of new gear. first of all is my custom thumbwhole stocked 270 wsm topped with a leupold 4.5-14x40 varmint retuicle scope (eventhough im trying to get rid of it for a boone and crockett) with 64.5 grains of 4831sc and 140 accubonds, shooting well under half inch groups. the second is my new zeiss 15x60's with the velbon efl 4a tripod i got from amanda. i am very excited about this season!

so how bout ya'll, carrying anything new and exciting this year?

Pretty much the ame stuff for me, except for this extra 15 pound spare tire I picked up over the last 2 years! :lol: ;)

Great topic though. I hope to hear some good answers.

I just ordered a new backpack tent and down sleeping bag. Got a Big Agnes Sarvis 2 person SL tent. It weighs about 4 pounds, which is about 1/3 of the weight of the 3 tarps I have been using this summer to keep me dry in the monsoon rains. Sarvis tent at Campsaver.com

There are some lighter tents out there, but most are not freestanding and this one has some extra room that the others don't have.

The down bag I ordered is rated to 0 degrees (it was 16 degrees on my last dec coues hunt). It weighs less than 3 lbs, which is much nicer than the two 4-pound bags I carry with me hunting now (I put one bag inside the other)! And it stuffs down really small. And it has a neat elastic sewn into it, so it hugs you and yet is flexible (you can sit up cross legged in it if you want). mont-bell down super stretch hugger bag

I found great deals on these items from Campsaver.com, you might want to check them out if you are looking for things. Got a $50 tent footprint for free with the order of the tent and it was a cheaper price than I could find elsewhere, plus free shipping. Gotta love it.

Anyone else use a backpack tent or warm bag they love?

Amanda

I don't have a backpack tent but I do have a warm bag I love, I take her with me on some hunts but mostly she stays home and feeds the dogs while I go hunt'n. :lol:

a warm bag. that's funny. i'll take the same rifle as the last 30 years. my same ol' man. same knife. same truck. same ol' horse too. might try some new bullets. Lark.

HS Precision 7WSM w/ Luepy 6 1/2-20LR 68gns H4831SC 140NBT Leica 10-15X50 Duovids Jim White head-Outdoorsmans tri-pod I better get the biggest buck on the mtn or I'll never hear the end of it from my buddies cuz of the $ I spent!!! M.H.

I got some new 15x's and also the velbon efl tripod from Amanda, spent too much money so couldn't get the jim white head but will next year.

Amanda I have a northface down bag that I love, and a small Eureka backpack tent, not as good as others but not too bad either. I'm looking at a new backpack but not till the next few years.

I have an old Eureka tent that I use car camping. The tent has been great, but it's getting quite old (as is its owner...). I have had it since grad school, close to 20 years. The fly is getting strectched out and isn't quite as waterproof as it used to be. Unfortunately I think I will have to get a new one or maybe eureka will send me a new fly. The zipper on the front door stopped working too and now we use big binder clips to hold it shut :lol:

So have you guys taken your velbon efl's out yet? Like them?

Giladad1....dang that's a lot of high dollar equipment! You better get a big buck and you better enter our big buck contest so you can get your name plastered all over the internet whe you win :)

Amanda

i got a few sleeping bags from my buddy last year, they are arm issue mummy bags and they are as warm as i want to be! they are awesome!

i hear ya about better be shooint the biggest buck on the mtn with all the cash dropped, i am in the same boat, but i did get a steal on my rifle, scope, and binos!

New Swaros 10x42ELs, I'll be buying an Eberlestock Justone backpack and a few other small items. I've already got so much gear (I'm a serious GEAR JUNKIE) there are very few things I really need and I'm saving my money for a Caribou hunt in the North West Territories next year. Of course if you all run across some really sweet gear please let us know.

I'm going with my new Polaris 600 on my 14 year old son's first elk hunt, He's got new camo, boots, and pack. We'll be using our coleman sleeping bags I bought 21 years ago still in great shape. Have my first elk hide with hair on it for an extra blanket. Anyone use thiers for a blanket? It weighs about 20 lbs. and keeps you real warm. Also got a new dynatron tripod with pistol grip that I got on e-bay for $50. Good luck yall.

pair of red head snake boots and my dwight schue (spelling?) freighter backpack and hopefully a new quad to take me where my 2wd won't

Amanda,

I've taken my velbon efl's out about 6 times since I've gotten them and had some good success, I really like it, (don't know any different, but they seem very nice)

Thanks so much for the help, all the questions I asked etc... I sure appreciate it.

Houston

I'll be taking out my new (used) Weatherby Mark V in 300 win mag, stainless/synthetic with fluted barrell and muzzle break that I just picked up at Dons Sport Shop! (Thank you to whoever traded in or sold this gun) that I topped with a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16X scope. Cant wait to sight it in this weekend, hope the weather is clear.