Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

GRAND FALLS

The Litlle Colorado River is up to about 1000 cfs, so that means that Grand Falls north of Leupp on the Navajo Rez is a spectacle. This Sunday afternoon, there were quite a few people taking in the sight that only occurs a few times a year with enough spring snowmelt or summer monsoon downpour.

GrandFalls2010_106.jpg

GrandFalls2010_078.jpg

GrandFalls2010_067.jpg

GrandFalls2010_039.jpg

GrandFalls2010_072.jpg

Doug~RR

You're amazing! Great pictures and thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Amanda,

Since the LCR flows are short-lived, I opted to shoot the falls rather than make a poppy trip as I talked to you and Paul about. Guess the flows were about 1300 yesterday. Sitting in the truck at the top of the falls, you could feel the vibrations from the waterfall and wonder if you had actually turned offf the truck's engine.

I imagine that the poppies will be withered by Easter weekend, but the brittle brush should be flowering. Hope to make it to Lost Dutchman Park for sunset on the Superstitions Easter weekend.

If you need a basketball or spare tire, there were a few at the base to choose from.

TrashPoolGrandFalls2010_089.jpg

Doug

wow

The LCR is still flowing well, about 975 cfs near Winslow and has come up the last 2 days. Should be a good weekend again to go there and see the falls. The falls face west, so the afternoon is best.

This brings back alot of memories from my days at NAU. I remember reading once, that when the Little Colorado is flowing like this, that the volume of water is more than what goes over Niagara Falls......not sure if it is true, but sure is a nice thing to see in person. Thanks for the pics.