Sign in to follow this  
Dodger2

Zeiss Question

Ok I'm thinking about buying a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 with the turrets. I haven't been able to find one to look through some so I'm just looking for some feedback. I would love to go the Leupold Mark 4 route, but little too pricey and to be honest I'm thinking that is more scope then I need.

Thanks

First let me start by saying I have both scopes the mark 4 4x14x50 33mm tube and the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 1” tube.

The Zeiss Conquest by far is a better scopes in clarity GLASS Repeatability on the turrets just an over all great scope for the money. I think you can pick one up for 750 to 850. I never had to use zeiss customer service never had a problem. I have own that scope for about 5 years. I use it for Coues hunts, any of my long range hunts and when I shoot long range matches (I have been involved in three).

The mark 4 4x14x50 is also a good scope but does not match up to the zeiss as far as clarity in glass, its close to the zeiss but not close enough to justify the price tag. Repeatability on the turrets is excellent. I know that Leopold customer service is one of the best for I have dealt with them in the past and I could not be happier.

By the way if I were to do it all over again I think I would have saved my money and would have gotten a night force, zeiss diavari or a IOR all those scopes are around the $1,500 to 1,700 price tag but if you could save a little and hold on, that’s the way I would go your half way there. Also one other point on leupold you should stay away from the mark 4 the reason for the popularity on that scope is the fact that it use by some police snipers that are in department with a low budget (this is only hear say so don’t hold me to that statement)

The Leopold vx -7 is better glass better scope price the same the VX-7 is said to be Leopold best in that price range

I have both, but would have to say that the zeiss is the way to go! Even though the zeiss is a one inch tube i'm almost positive it has more clicks MOA. The scope is lightweight to, and is very clear. On the con side the leupold 4 is very clear and hard to beat thier warranty. Leupold has repaired many of my scopes with no charge, even when its my fault. I never had to send a zeiss back. I am building a rifle right now, and i choose the 6.5-20 power zeiss for it. I just recieved it and it is great! I currently use the zeiss 4.5-14 on my 204, and it is great.

Can't comment on the scopes but RE: Zeiss customer service...it's solid. I just sent in an old pair of 10x40B Classics that have been dropped more times than I can remember...got 'em back repaired/polished in 2 weeks at no charge. I would imagine they offer the same level of service on their scopes.

if you are headed towards sportsmans soon, let me know. I will be in tucson today and tomorrow and will let ya look through mine before I send it back to the smith to get the new McMillian put on.

if you are headed towards sportsmans soon, let me know. I will be in tucson today and tomorrow and will let ya look through mine before I send it back to the smith to get the new McMillian put on.

Another option if NE Tucson if more convenient you are welcome to look through mine...I actually have two options for you I also have the 4.5-14 x 44 Conquest - I ent it into Zeiss and had them put the target turrets on it - only cost $50.00. I love the weight savings it offers and it's just as clear.

Another option if NE Tucson if more convenient you are welcome to look through mine...I actually have two options for you I also have the 4.5-14 x 44 Conquest - I ent it into Zeiss and had them put the target turrets on it - only cost $50.00. I love the weight savings it offers and it's just as clear.

I have that one too, but scottyboy is taking it to africa so he has it

Ive got Casey's right now.. I gonna give it a workover at long distances at LITTLE antelope in Africa in 2 1/2 weeks.. Casey's gonna wear out some monkeys and jackels while there with it too.

If I like it (and I already do), I'm buying one when I get back and putting it on my 300WSM. I like the turrets WAY better than the B&C Leupold I have on it now. Much more precise and takes almost all the guesswork out.

Thanks for all the comments. This is gonna go on my 7mm WSM that currently has a 4.5-14x40 Leupold VX III with the B&C reticle. The reticle is a good idea, but it doesn't match up well. I'm still having to do the "Kentucky windage" with it. So the Leupold is gonna go on my "new" pre-64 Winchester model 70 .270 that has a pre-64 Weaver 6x on it.

I would love to be able to put a Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender, but the funds just aren't there and to be honest I just can't justify it.

Thanks for the replies, the info, and the offers to look thru the scopes! Looks like I'll be purchasing a new Zeiss in the near future.

First let me start by saying I have both scopes the mark 4 4x14x50 33mm tube and the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 1” tube.

The Zeiss Conquest by far is a better scopes in clarity GLASS Repeatability on the turrets just an over all great scope for the money. I think you can pick one up for 750 to 850. I never had to use zeiss customer service never had a problem. I have own that scope for about 5 years. I use it for Coues hunts, any of my long range hunts and when I shoot long range matches (I have been involved in three).

The mark 4 4x14x50 is also a good scope but does not match up to the zeiss as far as clarity in glass, its close to the zeiss but not close enough to justify the price tag. Repeatability on the turrets is excellent. I know that Leopold customer service is one of the best for I have dealt with them in the past and I could not be happier.

By the way if I were to do it all over again I think I would have saved my money and would have gotten a night force, zeiss diavari or a IOR all those scopes are around the $1,500 to 1,700 price tag but if you could save a little and hold on, that’s the way I would go your half way there. Also one other point on leupold you should stay away from the mark 4 the reason for the popularity on that scope is the fact that it use by some police snipers that are in department with a low budget (this is only hear say so don’t hold me to that statement)

The Leopold vx -7 is better glass better scope price the same the VX-7 is said to be Leopold best in that price range

I didn't know Leopold made a 33mm tube. I knew that S&B made 34mm.

Thanks for all the comments. This is gonna go on my 7mm WSM that currently has a 4.5-14x40 Leupold VX III with the B&C reticle. The reticle is a good idea, but it doesn't match up well. I'm still having to do the "Kentucky windage" with it. So the Leupold is gonna go on my "new" pre-64 Winchester model 70 .270 that has a pre-64 Weaver 6x on it.

I would love to be able to put a Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender, but the funds just aren't there and to be honest I just can't justify it.

Thanks for the replies, the info, and the offers to look thru the scopes! Looks like I'll be purchasing a new Zeiss in the near future.

NFS or a S&B is not needed. I promise you, if you spend the time getting to learn your turrets and where the bullet hits at what distances you will not be dissappointed...

Proof is in the pudding... Mattobertin was with me on this shot and told me to get closer... I said "Nope, Ive got turrets for that distance" 571 yards, dead deer!

deertday2008062-1.jpg

deertday2008041.jpg

I also like the zeiss conquest. I was saving up for the nightforce nsx, when my brother in law called me from sportsmans warehouse on the last zeiss conquest 6.5-20 x 50, 599$. Last year was our first chance to really try it in the field. Oct jr cow hunt my 11 year son dropped his first cow elk at 580 yards then 8 days later dropped his first coues at 534 yards, less than a month later I dropped a bull elk at 470 yards , Then in december my buddy borrowed my gun for his coues hunt and drooped a deer at just under 400 yards, And to top it all off I had a javalina in mexico bedded at 400 yards, and the only shot I had was a head shot, and of coarse we were having pig tacos for lunch. All one shot kills

just to stress the importance of a good scope, My gun is just a 30-06 ,Some people would argue that's not a good long range gun,maybe thats true, but it was either a new gun or a new scope.So I chose the scope , by the way i also use the kenton turret on that scope.

go with the zeiss!

I have the Nikon Monarch 6-24X with a 50mm objective, topped with Kenton Industries custom turrets. I have about $900.00 in this set up. I am very happy with the quality of the Monarch rifle scopes, and they have a Lifetime warranty.

Gary,

I smoked a nice Coues @ 625 yards, last year with this scope......