Guest Bandido

America

Guest Bandido

I saw a news report this am about a school in San Francisco (I beleive). It said students were sent home because they wore teeshirts with "The Flag" printed on it on the 5th of May (Cinco de Mayo) and they refused to turn it inside out. The American flag - OUR FLAG - is not allowed in OUR schools? Apparently some students said it was "our" day. Whose day? What country is this they are talking about? Obviously we're talking about kids here but what are their parents teaching them? What is society teaching them? They can have my teeshirt with MY FLAG on it (whoever 'they' may be) - WHEN THEY PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!! Come and get it!

Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

By George Kiriyama

NBCBayArea.com

updated 28 minutes ago

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.

The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, 'fat chance.'

"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school do not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:

The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.

The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

One news reporter this morning likened it to walking into the Cubs game wearing a Pittsburg Pirates shirt.......

Another analogy was, we celebrate St. Patricks day which is an Irish celebration, do the Irish care if you wear a USA shirt to their party????

I work at a school and I know how we spend a lot of time trying to "prevent" things from happening.

This to me is a case of somebody not knowing what country they really live in and using their authority to make a point.

Double standard on the freedom of speech issue....it is ok for them to fly foreign flags in our country but not ok for us to fly our flag in our country because they are celebrating their heritage......somebody has the beer goggles on.....

The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

In situations like this I think you have to ask yourself... "what would Ted Nugent do?" Going back to school the next day sporting your red, white, and blue is the perfect answer!!! WAY TO GO CALI BOYS!!!

In situations like this I think you have to ask yourself... "what would Ted Nugent do?" Going back to school the next day sporting your red, white, and blue is the perfect answer!!! WAY TO GO CALI BOYS!!!

And people wonder why I like Ted Nugent so much. ;)

When I saw him in concert 3 weeks ago, he brought an assualt rifle out on stage and basically told the feds "screw you", this is my gun, my rights, and you ain't gonna take it from me!

One news reporter this morning likened it to walking into the Cubs game wearing a Pittsburg Pirates shirt.......

Another analogy was, we celebrate St. Patricks day which is an Irish celebration, do the Irish care if you wear a USA shirt to their party????

I work at a school and I know how we spend a lot of time trying to "prevent" things from happening.

This to me is a case of somebody not knowing what country they really live in and using their authority to make a point.

Double standard on the freedom of speech issue....it is ok for them to fly foreign flags in our country but not ok for us to fly our flag in our country because they are celebrating their heritage......somebody has the beer goggles on.....

I agree - it is a double standard and school administrators never want to rock the boat. These kids have every right to wear a shirt with the US flag on it. I know the principals don't want violence on their campus, but who would cause the violence? I guarantee, it would not be one of the flag wearing kids. I get so tired of having to publish all of our school materials in Spanish. My grandparents didn't have an Italian interpreter every time they visited my parents' school.

Everyone needs to get a clue - respect the US or go back to Mexico!

Sam,

Don't be upset about having to print stuff in Spanish. When our Home Land Security person was gov., my wife, who still worked for the State, got a letter in with her pay check, totally in Spanish, explaining all the benefits that state employees receive. Just who do they think works for the state? People who are ONLY Spanish literate?

A big part of the poor performance in public Screwels is the fact that teachers try to bring everyone along at the same speed. That means with all the non english speakers needing more attention and special handling the english speaking students are effectively held back. ESL classes are a disservice to all students.

Ballots in english/spanish, drivers license tests in english/spanish, press 1 for english, 2 for spanish, it's all BS. Now an American cannot wear the US flag logo for fear of offending illegals or other immigrants. Illegals protest the "unfair" treatment that is 100 times better than they would get in their own turd world country.

My opinion is history and culture is good but if you come to the US, do it legally, and be prepared to assimilate into the US culture. Your past culture is a memory to be held onto but it is not up to the US to accept your memory and old ways. It's the other way around. If you come to the US or anywhere else, to live, it's your obligation to Learn to speak the language, learn to communicate, Get a job, pay taxes, don't be a drain on the system and don't complain about how bad it is here unless you are a citizen. Finally, don't ever forget where the immigration door is and if you get too unhappy, don't let it hit you in the Azz on your way back to your homeland.

This sort of stuff makes me so mad I can't even express it completely. For all the politicians paying fast and loose with my country using immigration, You are on notice - Your time in office is up.

A big part of the poor performance in public Screwels is the fact that teachers try to bring everyone along at the same speed. That means with all the non english speakers needing more attention and special handling the english speaking students are effectively held back. ESL classes are a disservice to all students.

Ballots in english/spanish, drivers license tests in english/spanish, press 1 for english, 2 for spanish, it's all BS. Now an American cannot wear the US flag logo for fear of offending illegals or other immigrants. Illegals protest the "unfair" treatment that is 100 times better than they would get in their own turd world country.

My opinion is history and culture is good but if you come to the US, do it legally, and be prepared to assimilate into the US culture. Your past culture is a memory to be held onto but it is not up to the US to accept your memory and old ways. It's the other way around. If you come to the US or anywhere else, to live, it's your obligation to Learn to speak the language, learn to communicate, Get a job, pay taxes, don't be a drain on the system and don't complain about how bad it is here unless you are a citizen. Finally, don't ever forget where the immigration door is and if you get too unhappy, don't let it hit you in the Azz on your way back to your homeland.

This sort of stuff makes me so mad I can't even express it completely. For all the politicians paying fast and loose with my country using immigration, You are on notice - Your time in office is up.

AZ4life, I like you a ton. I hope to some day share a hunting camp with you.