Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Take Me Fishing

Take Me Fishing

Copyright 2010 by Tony Mandile

The Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation has designated June 5 - 13, 2010 as National Fishing and Boating Week. Manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers and others involved within the fishing and boating industries will promote this week as a good time to introduce a youngster to the sport under the RBFF's "Take Me Fishing" initiative.

Although fishing provides a wealth of fun and pleasure for more than 34 million Americans annually, the most recent survey by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service shows about a four percent drop in participants over the last decade. Kids undoubtedly make up a large portion of the 34 million, but regardless of how many youngsters already fish, thousands more likely want to.

Almost six decades have passed since I hooked my first fish when I was 10 years old, and over four decades have gone by since my three children, all adults now, caught their first. Nevertheless, the time gone by has failed to diminish the vivid reminders of fishing with my kids.

Early in the summer many years ago, , my youngest son Scott and I were attempting to entice a few trout from Big Lake in the White Mountains. The near-freezing temperature and stiff breeze whipping across the water typified the weather at that time of year. To make matters worse, the trout refused to cooperate for the three hours we had sat among the roily whitecaps.

I glanced over at the 6-year-old sitting quietly as the chilly wind rustled the knap of his furry coat. From the dark hole created by the hood around his head, his eyes intently watched the rod tip for the faint peck of a trout. Even if a fish did nibble at the salmon egg, though, the boy probably would not have noticed it because of his shivering hands on the rod.

Perhaps sensing me watching him, Scott turned and almost stuttering, spoke with quivering lips. "Daddy, how come we're fishing?"

Puzzled for a proper answer, I stalled with my own question. "What do you mean, Scott?"

He concentrated, possibly trying to figure out what he really did mean, then rephrased his question. "Well, how come we just don't buy fish at the store?"

I considered my dilemma, wondering how to tell a cold little boy that fishing is actually fun when he had braved the chill and wind for three hours but got nary a bite. It certainly hadn't been a fun morning for me either, so I explained as best as I could. "Having fish to eat is only part of it. It's like riding your bike; you do it because you enjoy it."

Scott listened, but his confused look told me my feeble answer made little sense to him.

Thinking back, it makes little sense to me now. Thankfully, the passage of time has helped me develop a more plausible explanation.

Fishing allows one to enjoy the outdoors with family and friends and to heal a weary spirit after a week of hard work. Best of all, grown-ups have the opportunity to teach children a wholesome, inexpensive and easy to learn sport --- one where scoreboards and peer pressure rarely come into play. And lastly, fishing provides a certain solitude only the great outdoors can produce.

Now 48, my oldest boy joined me on a fly-fishing trip into the Weminuche Wilderness in western Colorado when he was 13 years old. One afternoon, Keith and I took a lunch break under the canopy of a large blue spruce tree.

A cow elk and her recently born calf meandered into view about 25 yards away from our natural, umbrella-like blind. The cow wandered over to a young aspen tree and delicately snipped off the new, tender shoots of spring. The wobbly-legged calf, also hungry, began to suckle its mother.

Mesmerized, without eating or speaking we watched the pair for 10 minutes. I would bet football, cars and girls never entered Keith's thoughts right then.

Our fishing adventures with the children made my wife and me more aware of the outdoors, too. As the kids began to discover nature, things we usually took for granted --- little water spiders scooting across a mirror-like pool, tiny chipmunks scurrying across a rocky landscape or a redtail hawk turning lazy circles in the fading day --- meant more when the youngsters noticed them first. On the other hand, we also endured frustrations.

From the standpoint of being able to answer them, the endless questions sometimes were bothersome. I still haven't figured out answers for the curious 5-year-old girl named Stacey who asked, "Daddy, why can't you see a worm's eyes?" or "Why do fish eat corn?"

Although my kids are on their own now, whenever the opportunities arise I still test my patience with other young people who want to learn how to fish. Sure, I go through the same frustrations and listen to the same questions, but conversely the same pleasures also exist. And that's where the satisfaction comes from.

These youngsters are everywhere, maybe even next door to you. Some have parents with no interest in fishing, and others simply cannot afford even the most basic tackle. Youth groups around the state, especially those for the under-privileged or inner-city youths, offer yet another source. Maybe some of these kids are living in your own home?

No matter where you find them, one thing is certain: Any one of them most likely will jump at the chance to join you on a trip to the lake or even a city pond. Many of them will think catching a 4-oz. bluegill is just great, especially if it's their fish.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department has designated June 5 and June 12 as Free Fishing Day. Any person in the state, resident or nonresident, may fish without a license but must abide by the same regulations and limits as licensed anglers. The only exceptions to the no-license dispensation are the Colorado River and any military post or tribal reservation.

So do something worthwhile and take a kid fishing during National Fishing and Boating Week. Better still, take one every chance you get. As for me, I'm proud my kids can think about their childhood and now say, "My dad always found time to "Take Me Fishing."

Great write up Tony! My boy caught his very first fish yesterday! That was one very excited 3 year old! Almost as excited as I was!....... :D

• Like 1

I still remember my first fish. I was in Rhode Island where I originally lived before I moved to beautiful Arizona . When I was 7, ,my uncle and dad who still live in RI went to Narragensett Bay, Quanset Point Navel Base and they brought me along. My dad was catching Black Sea Bass and Scup (AKA Porgy) and I was just watching until my dad asked me if I wanted to try, I JUMPED and said yes. He casted it out for me with a weight and blood worms as bait, and after about 30 seconds, I started thinking that I wasn't going to catch anything, until I felt a vibrating tention on the line and I set the hook and landed a Scup. I didn't give my dad the pole back during that outing instead it was about me. I walked away with so much knowledge on how to cast, catch a fish, and land a fish, but not take the fish off the hook. I asked my dad everyday after that to take me again with the exception of winter. GREAT POST TONY, IT BROUGHT BACK ALOT MEMORIES. THANK YOU

Whenever I see a kid watching me fish, I always let them fish... I enjoy passing on the love for the outdoors to the youth, just like my father did.

Congrats on catching what I would say is a small but best tasting fish in the Atlantic Ocean. Do they call porgy, scup in Long Island? I really enjoy hearing that someone caught a porgy as there first fish as I did... Blood worm and sand worms are the same but I remember getting a bad infection and a black and blue bruise on my index finger for one of them S.O.B's, and I freaken hurt BAD. Those teeth are brutal on them worms.

Do they call porgy, scup in Long Island?

I don't recall ever hearing that when I was fishing there in my early years. I do remember that we also caught flounders, sand sharks and blowfish.

Every Tuesday during the summer months the town of Hackensack in Minnesota sponsors a... LOL, ok I looked it up on the internet to make sure I got the spelling right! And actually found a site. Here is some of the info:

""Welcome to the Hackensack Childrens Fishing Contest. This is Minnesota's LARGEST Children's Fishing Contest. It runs every Tuesday from June 8 through August 24, 2010 from 11am to 1pm, prizes awarded after 1pm; so stick around. We offer prizes for First, Smallest (in inches), Largest (in ounces or pounds) and Most fish in each of 3 age categories (0-5, 6-10, 11-15). There are always free hot dogs, pop and nightcrawlers for bait (or food if you're really hungry). We have Minnow Races and a Casting Contest that starts at the blast of Hackensack's noon whistle blow, both with nice prizes for the winners. Come down any and every Tuesday to take advantage of a great day fishing with your son or daughter.""

It is a drive up there for me now a days but whenever possible I pile as many grandkiddies as I can in the car and we head on up there. It is a great day, and they all have a wonderful time! The town even supplies the rods, tackle and life jackets if someone doesn't have one! So anyone that lives in Minnesota or ever planning a trip up this way, with the little ones, try to fit that in the schedule!

Why does it cost $10,000 dollars to mail something to heaven from anywhere else in the country but its only a stamp from Big Lake?

It's local postage.