I saw it on Fox News this am. I think the name is Cevalles? Something like that. The report said that he was involved with the current pres at some level.

Thanks. I found a story through Google. You have a great memory, for just hearing a news report. The kidnap victim's name is Diego Fernandez de Cevellos.

Incidentally, the same article claimed the body count in Mexico's drug war over the past 40 months has passed the 23,000 mark. That's 575 per month or nearly 20 per day, seven days a week.

Bill Quimby

Which is a little bit different than what is going on here in the US, interesting info Bill......

You know my curiosity got the better of me and I found that the United States reported 16,272 murders in 2008 alone. 16,272 divided by 365 = 44.58 murders per day. And our violent crime rate has been falling for several years. On the bright side, our per capita murder rate is about 3 times less than Mexico...

Lee

Lee:

Apples vs. oranges.

The 23,000 deaths reported in Mexico over the past 40 months apparently are only those directly attributed to the drug wars.

Those 16,272 U.S. homicides in 2008 are from all causes.

Also the U.S. population is about 310 million; Mexico's is about 110 million. It should not be surprising that our annual numerical total would be higher than a country one third our size.

However, the best gauge of relative safety is that the F.B.I. reports the U.S. has 5.5 homicides from all causes per 100,000 persons while Mexico's rate is said to be 11 to 14 homicides from all causes per 100,000 persons, according to Wikipedia.

Bill Quimby

For those of you that do decide to test fate and head to Mexico, while you can't carry a gun I know of no restrictions on carrying a can of bear spray......

For those of you that do decide to test fate and head to Mexico, while you can't carry a gun I know of no restrictions on carrying a can of bear spray......

Or a sling shot :)