I can not even begin to describe how angry this makes me. Another good man lost to the world, because the scum of the earth wanted to steal a truck.

It is an atrocity that life is so cheap to these evil people.

I know that God sorts everyone out in the end, but I dearly hope that these people get what is coming to them while they are still alive. An eye for an eye!

A freind of mine also brings items across the border for the locals, and he seems to ignore the fact that things are getting out of control in Mexico.

Mr. Quimby, you were right about traveling in Mexico.

I think Mexico should be pressured into allowing American citizens, with a permit, carry handguns while traveling in Mexico. It might be safe to assume that these Bandido's might be less inclined to offer violence to those that have the ability to fight back.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. That's incredibly sad and scary to hear about this as it hits way to close to home for me! It sounds as though it's the "wrong place at the wrong time" scenario and the fact he's an outfitter down there has nothing to do with why he was targeted, but It is the reason why he was in that wrong place though. I always try to travel during mid day down there and I guarantee I'll be driving a beat up and dirty ol' truck next time.

Man I hope my wife or my mom don't hear about this!!!

We are all saying just how bad it is "down there", how we should be allowed as American citizens to carry firearms for protection and yet has anyone considered the fact that this is the direction this country is going in and someday we may also be saying "up here": gosh I sure wish we were able to carry when we go to East Mesa for groceries for our family, or I sure wish we were allowed to have a weapon in our vehicle when going to pick our children up at school or we better drive an old beater to church so we are not shot, killed and buried because we went in the suburban! Scary to think, but this is the plan for the current administration and they have already succeeded in small baby steps the process of making this happen. I pray for not just those who lost loved ones in the current "war" but also for all of us, that we may never see such atroocities occur on our watch in our own backyards and not be able to protect our loved ones. Peace out// :unsure:

I think Mexico should be pressured into allowing American citizens, with a permit, carry handguns while traveling in Mexico. It might be safe to assume that these Bandido's might be less inclined to offer violence to those that have the ability to fight back.

I think Mexican citizens should be able to legally carry in their own country. Thugs have nothing to fear when they know they are preying on those that can't protect themselves.

I believe there is a law for Mexican citizens to own a handgun for protection of their home. Up to 9mm or .38?

I do not think they can carry it, but just for home protection. A permit has to be applied for through the Government agency in Mexico City.

Generally, Mexican citizens are restricted by law to:

pistolas (handguns) of .380 Auto or .38 Special revolvers or smaller in either case except the .357 Magnum and auto (Sig),

escopetas (shotguns) of 12 gauge or smaller, with barrels longer than 25 inches, and

rifles (rifles) bolt action and semi-auto.

Handguns in calibers bigger than those mentioned above are forbidden from private ownership.

Examples of firearms that are legal for citizens to own include .380 ACP pistols, .38 Special revolvers, 12 gauge shotguns (no short-barreled shotguns are allowed) and rifles in any caliber with exceptions such as .30 Carbine, 7mm and 7.62 mm Carbines.

Permits for the transportation and use of such non-military caliber firearms are issued for one year terms by SEDENA (Secretaría de la Defensa Nacional) and may be applied for up to 10 firearms, total, for each designated and planned use that is legally authorized. These uses may include hunting or shooting at a club or national competition. Permits are very easy to obtain, but may be only obtained by citizens belonging to a shooting club.

There is only one legally authorized retail outlet in Mexico City: UCAM (Unidad de Comercialización de Armamento y Municiones), run by the Army and able to sell firearms. It is owned by, and is part of, the government. Although there is no legal limit on how many firearms an individual can own, UCAM sells one hand gun for home proteccion and nine more for shooting and/or hunting. Once any individual has purchased ten firearms from the only retail governmental outlet, he cannot get a permit to buy any more. However, private party sales are legal and are largely uncontrolled, and wealthy gun-collecting citizens thus can legally buy more firearms from other private owners.

Collector permits, somewhat analogous to the FFL Category 03 Curio & Relic permits issued in the United States, are easy to obtain from the Mexican Government and allow the ownership of a wide range of firearms, even including military firearms. For those holding collector permits, regular visits by the local military authority to inspect the storage location to make sure it has the necessary security measures to avoid the guns being stolen are a recurring fact of life.

CCW licenses are issued but are hard to obtain for anyone not wealthy and without political connections. In the event that an application is denied, the denial may theoretically be appealed at a District Court, but this never occurs in practice. Prior to 2002, CCW licenses could be obtained authorizing military caliber pistols. However, these CCW licenses were all cancelled, and re-issued to authorize only up to .380 ACP caliber pistolas.

Transportation licenses are required for transporting guns. Transportation must be with the firearm unloaded and in a case. There are no public shooting ranges such as in the U.S. and other countries.

Gun politics in Mexico have resulted in some of the strictest gun laws in the world. It is in many ways similar to the United Kingdom, except with much more severe prison terms for even the smallest gun law violations. On the other hand, possession of non-military-caliber small arms by citizens is largely a non-issue. Gun politics are thus not the major issue in Mexico that they are in the neighboring United States, since few Mexican citizens have any gun law difficulties.

Brent,

You may own certain handguns of small caliber you are correct.

Using it for self defense and getting off scott free is a different story.

The law can be translated as crazy as it is here on our indian reservations.

Up to 30 years imprisonment, just for having one. (not registered of course)

From your Wikipedia link:

"Gun politics in Mexico have resulted in some of the strictest gun laws in the world. It is in many ways similar to the United Kingdom, except with much more severe prison terms for even the smallest gun law violations."

Besides, I don't care if you have a revolver with a pocket full of shells,

ain't no match for what the other guy trying to harm you is carrying.

It's a sad situation in Mexico right now.

With the glamorization of being tied to the cartels, a lot of copy cats are running around.

The nephew and son of a prominent cartel member, unbelievable.

It's so sad that a good man went down like this.

Brent,

You may own certain handguns of small caliber you are correct.

Using it for self defense and getting off scott free is a different story.

The law can be translated as crazy as it is here on our indian reservations.

Up to 30 years imprisonment, just for having one. (not registered of course)

Besides, I don't care if you have a revolver with a pocket full of shells,

ain't no match for what the other guy trying to harm you is carrying.

It's a sad situation in Mexico right now.

With the glamorization of being tied to the cartels, a lot of copy cats are running around.

The nephew and son of a prominent cartel member, unbelievable.

It's so sad that a good man went down like this.

Very true!

As crazy and biased as the laws can be, especially in Mexico, I would not want to be involved in any shooting, even if I was a Mexican citizen.

It is hard to defend yourself with a .38 wheelgun vs. an AK47 or automatic. Unless you draw a good bead on the first shot of course ;)

WOW ! And people say that the 1070 bill is racist! It looks like he was profiled " unarmed american , nice truck" . Oh I bet he even had the proper ID to be there!!! I feel sorry for the victims family, my thoughts and prayers go out to them!

Saddening and makes me angry

The report mentions Jose Vazquez Villagrana, this individual is already in prison. The mexican army and federal police detained him several months ago. This guy is from Santana Sonora and owned a big ranch that ran all the way to the border. He was letting drug dealers to use his ranch to take the drug to the border of course for a fee. He was also crossing two tons of cocaine per month by airplane and one ton of marihuana using "mules". The two guys that took the life of this outdoorsman and outfitter were related to this indiviual.

Check this video and you can see the weapons this guys carry......so what a regular citizen with a 38 caliber revolver can do against this type of people?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SdFyiufF_c...feature=related

Prayers for his family.

Ernesto C

Thoughts and prayers for family and friends. What a shame. I believe someone said on another post that it was just a matter of time before this would happen to an American citizen, hunter, or outfitter. Sad :(

TJ!

So all i got to say is if i can carry a 38 or nothing ill take it if your giong to carry a gun you should be proficient. and i know im not giong to be kidnapped and im not going to let them kill me without one of them going to.

My prayers are with the family