azhuntnut

broadhead comparison

I am trying to decide which broadhead I am going to use this elk season. I have narrowed it down to three, but I am looking for some feedback on personal experience with any of these broadheads. I am currently using carbon express arrows that wiegh 485 grains including the 100 grain head. These heavier arrows have slowed my arrow speed down to 250fps. I recently also changed my fletching to the blazers. I am searching for a head that will perform like my field points and have great penetration, but leave a good blood trail. I know I am asking for alot, but I have done some research on these and they seem to be what I want, but I can't decide.

1. Magnus Stinger 100g 4 blade w/bleeders-cut on impact

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/

2. Triton Wac Em 100g 3 blade-somewhat cut on impact

http://www.wacemarchery.com/

3. Slick Trick 100g 4 blade bullit style tip

http://www.slicktrick.net/

What do you think? David

I am in the same boat.I got drawn for elk also.The two I decided to choose from was the wacums and the Montec. I decided on the Montec for the sole reason of being able to resharpen the broadhead.The broadheads are all so much better then the last time I got drawn.

Noel

I like the Magnus Stingers for most of my hunting. They fly pretty good with little if any loss of accuracy. They also seem to penetrate pretty good. I was going to buy the wacems, but the ones I looked at seemed too small. I like to make big holes.

I used the slick trick 100's last year. I shot three animals with them Deer, Antelope and a Hog. All three animals left great blood trails. The farthest tracking job was forty five yards. I was very impressed with the slicktrick.

When I was shooting them I was using four inch Duravanes and Carbon Express CX 300's. A friend of mine uses Blazer vanes and shoots Slicktricks. He also drew and elk tag this year and that is going to be his set up.

As for flying like a field point, when I first got them I wanted to see how they would fly without doing any tuning. I used three heads and put them on in three different postions. They all pretty much flew identical to my field tips. The only thing I noticed was one of them seemed a little noisy in flight.

Hope this helps.

Manny

I know that you did not say anything about the Thunderheads, however I have used these for the past 8years and have had a tremendous outcome with them. It is however important to line the broadhead up with the arrow fletching for a good arrow flight.

I have to agree with "huntin1005," I have since gone back to Thunderhead 100's for their durability. Unless you are dead set on shooting one of the three broadhead heads you mentioned, you may want to give Thunderheads a try if you havent already used them in the past.

It takes me about 10-20 minutes to tune them, a couple of shots and their ready to go.

Although I have only shot targets and dirt with my bow I have read lot about broadheads. Look at bowsite.com and do a search for "5 shot" This guys does alot of testing on broadheads and save guys like us lots of money. He tests broadheads buy shooting them in tires, plywood, a 55gal drum! Not deer per say but gives an idea about toughness, durability, etc...

He says good things about the Slick Tricks among others. The sleeper that did VERY good was the Gold Tip Centurion and they are not expensive either!

:blink:

I have killed 27 bull elk with my bow and every one has been taken .with a Rocky mountain broadhead. In the beginning of course I used the 125s but now I use the premiure 100s, never had any problems.

jlhcoues

I have killed 27 bull elk with my bow and every one has been taken .with a Rocky mountain broadhead.  In the beginning of course I used the 125s but now I use the premiure 100s, never had any problems.

jlhcoues

Well now my question is, how have you gotten drawn that many times? What is the secret?

What type of blood trail did you experience with the Rockys?

I went and looked at the Wac em's and Stingers last night. I really like the design of the Wac em's. I don't see anyway this tip could curl back or have any problems with penetration. I think I am going to give them a try. I am also going to pick up a pack of Stingers and see how the fly. David

If those two don't work out give thunderhead a try they are excellent. Also if you ever shoot mechanical NAP Spitfire broadheads with the snap-locking blade retention system fly just like a field point and require no O-rings.

I hunted the glory days of archery elk, starting in the late seventies. You could get a tag in NM and AZ with no problem, there wasnt any type of pressure like the circus we have now plus im lucky.

azhuntnut, I have been shooting Rocky Mt. 100 grain Iron Head XP expandable broadheads. What I like is they have no rubberband around the blades and they shoot like field tips. I have shot 9 animals with those broadheads and have had no performance problems with them. You do have to glue the blade shut when practicing if not the blade start to bend after about 10 shots in a 3D target, once that happens you will get fliers. Hope this helps.

I am trying to decide which broadhead I am going to use this elk season. I have narrowed it down to three, but I am looking for some feedback on personal experience with any of these broadheads. I am currently using carbon express arrows that wiegh 485 grains including the 100 grain head. These heavier arrows have slowed my arrow speed down to 250fps. I recently also changed my fletching to the blazers. I am searching for a head that will perform like my field points and have great penetration, but leave a good blood trail. I know I am asking for alot, but I have done some research on these and they seem to be what I want, but I can't decide.

1. Magnus Stinger 100g 4 blade w/bleeders-cut on impact

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/

2. Triton Wac Em 100g 3 blade-somewhat cut on impact

http://www.wacemarchery.com/

3. Slick Trick 100g 4 blade bullit style tip

http://www.slicktrick.net/

Dude, the absolute best is the Slick Trick.  I just got back from a mulie hunt in Utah.  A buddy of mine was using the Wac em and I used the Slick Trick.  We both got full pass throughs but the difference in the holes and the blood trails were unbelieveable.  I've used the ST's for the last two years and I will not use any other broadhead again.  They fly exactly like my field points out to 80 yards regarless of what set up I am using.  At one time I even tested them by shooting them out of an out of tune bow and they still flew like my field points.  When I get back to work tomorrow I'll post a pic of the entrance wound these Slick Tricks made, it looks like a bullet wound.

What do you think? David