Sign in to follow this  
JLW

first come to water holes?

I started scouting this weekend for some new spots for archery deer.

Found a couple of waterholes via google earth.Went and checked them out.

1 had a camera on it, the other had an older hang on type treesand on it.

You could tell it was older , it had plywood that was weathered and carpet.

I opted not to hang my cameras on either.

I respect the 1st hole with the camera but the 1 with the treestand I would really like to hunt.

Both had really good tracks... cats,bear,deer and turkey!

I know hanging a camera or a treestand doesn't claim the spot.

My question is What would be the ethical or brotherly thing to do?

In the area we saw a huge buck! (It looked 2 times as big as the does we saw)

Any input or comments would be a big help.

James

Seriously,Pal.... first one sitting that blind or treestand on a waterhole is the one hunting it... Water holes in AZ are a comodity so the first one with thier butt in possition on a hunting day wins.... Tree stands in a funnel, on a trail, or on a lick.... now that is, IMO, where I will walk the other way and find my own spot. Below are two threads that I have posted in the past that will give you some perspective on the waterhole issue. Good Hunting.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...c=13698&hl=

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...c=10035&hl=

The old treestand doesn't mean much in terms of if anyone is really planning on hunting it. I would say you should feel free to hunt it unless the day you go to hunt there is someone already there. First come, first serve. You could always leave a note saying you plan to hunt there and if someone else wants to work out a schedule they can call you.

Guest Bandido

Ahh waterholes again. Check out pages 10 and 92 of the regulations. It's too much for me to write now but it explains at least to a point. I think it's kind of vague and subject to individual interpretation. But it may help.

I don't think it is un-ethical or disrespectful at all to set up your camera on a tank that already has another camera or a tree stand on it. Just because someone else is scouting out the same area doesn't mean they will hunt one single day in that spot. Hang your camera but keep your options open and be prepared to get up early opening morning come opening day.

Be warned that putting a camera on a waterhole is the fastest way to loose it!!!

It's no different than while scouting, finding another hunter glassing from a hill that you plan to glass from during the hunt. If you are there earlier than him on any day, than it is yours. Another solution I have found, especially in the fall, is that there are few who are willing to sit out in the middle of the day in 100 degree weather and wait for deer. Find a lower elevation tank, and if you are there between 10 and 4, you will most likely have it to yourself. And by the way, it just happens that this is the time window that I have found most animals drinking anyway. Good luck.

We teach 'first come first served' in Hunter Ed classes.

I agree with afternoon drinks too, have seen happen on a few occasions.

thanks for the input!

I agree with the middle of the day hunts. Most are back at camp eating lunch or taking a nap.

Instead of using trail cams or worrying about a tree stand over the water hole ..... spend your weekend physically scouting it .... glassing incoming game trails and finding the most used trails for ingress and egress ..... depending on terrain look for saddles in hills around and coolies that are in the general area as well as the best looking bedding terrain for no more than 1/4 mile from the hole then find yourself a few different spots away from the hole that will give you better opportunity with less hassle of worrying about the guys camped right on the water ....

Instead of using trail cams or worrying about a tree stand over the water hole ..... spend your weekend physically scouting it .... glassing incoming game trails and finding the most used trails for ingress and egress ..... depending on terrain look for saddles in hills around and coolies that are in the general area as well as the best looking bedding terrain for no more than 1/4 mile from the hole then find yourself a few different spots away from the hole that will give you better opportunity with less hassle of worrying about the guys camped right on the water ....

Thanks again for suggestions.

I've sat a couple of ground blinds but usually end up spot n stalk.

I must have adhd.... hard to sit all day ;)

We found some real good runs between the 2 waterholes I think we'll start there.

James

If you want to sit water in August, be prepared to A) set up early B) sleep in your blind and C) fight off the onslaught opening weekend. I've posted numerous threads on this topic and even had a situation last year where a popular TV show was being filmed on the water hole I planned to sit. My mindset has changed a little based in last year's hunt, and now I really feel like if you want to hunt it, you have to be pretty agressive. Get there first and be ready with a flashlight 2-3 hours before sunup to let people know, you were in place before they got there. If you stand back and let them have it, they WILL take it and might not be willing to take the same "sharing" approach. If you let someone "tag" a waterhole and leave it up to them to tell you when you can hunt it, you had better have a good backup plan, because lots of guys aren't that accomodating.

I've taken a different approach similar to what Str8Shot advocates. If it's a well used watering hole, don't focus so much on the tank itself. Do some scouting and find where the deer are bedding and moving and put yourself between the them and the water hole. May as well hit them before they get to water, and IMO, the biggest bucks will be close to water, but will actually hit the tanks more at night, if it's getting a lot of pressure.

Guest Bandido

Wouldn't sleeping in a blind at a waterhole be camping near/at a waterhole. Isn't that illegal? Is it really necessary to wait at water? Oh man wait a minuute. That means fewer "hunters" up in the tops or in the brush. Yeah camp by the waterholes. Good idea. Make sure to place lots and lots of cameras, "cane", salt and other bait, but don't forget the pee pee. Man! :ph34r:

Wouldn't sleeping in a blind at a waterhole be camping near/at a waterhole. Isn't that illegal? Is it really necessary to wait at water? Oh man wait a minuute. That means fewer "hunters" up in the tops or in the brush. Yeah camp by the waterholes. Good idea. Make sure to place lots and lots of cameras, "cane", salt and other bait, but don't forget the pee pee. Man! :ph34r:

I know.....

I should get my long bow, cedar arrows,home made arrowheads, buck skin thong and chase them through the forrest like you do. :lol: