Sign in to follow this  
Coues&Bass

Generators

Well I have purchased an RV and need a generator. So what do I go wth? The cheaper loud industrial type or the expensive compact quiet units like Honda or Yamaha?

Quiet is the only way to go! I love having my family with me in the mountains but sure wish we could leave the city behind such as ac, blow driers, microwaves etc that all constitute cranking up the generator. Honda's are not cheap but they are more then worth it and its a great peace of mind when you are needing to recharge your trailer batteries. :rolleyes:

I went with the Honda 2000 it runs everything but my a/c. I knew it would not run it when I got it. But the reason I went with the 2000 is because you can hook two 2000s together and have a 4000. then in the winter time you only have to take one geny with you but in the summer you have enough juice to run what ever you want. The Honda 3000 still would not run everything and my a/c. But yes please go with a quite one. I think the yamaha 2400 will run most rv a/c's.

I do not like the noisey generators either and have sat in camp listening to the neighbors run all night. But on the other hand I can not see spending an extra K for a generator that is queit. I need at least a 3K to run the a/c if need be.

Seems like you have already decided then? Personally speaking I know quite a few people that have the Honda 3000 and wont go any other way after having one. IMO the extra grand is not just for a quieter machine but overall quality.

Good hunting...

Wade

What areas do you camp in.

difinatly go with the Honda 2000ie.

A few things most dont take into account:

Amount of gas the industrial gennys use. More run at 100% regardless of load= lots-o-gas.

There shear weight. 2000ie is somthing like 44lbs= one handed pick up.

Most importantly its like high end glass, you will eventually get the good kind anyway. Just save your self the trouble.

I was the first to get the Honda 2000 out our hunting party, like 4 trailers, and now we all have them. They all said I was crazy to spend so much. 2 of the 4 already owned the big industrial type gennys and they still bought the hondas just for camping.

:ph34r:

the hondas are the best for camping imo. I bought 2 2000's about 6 years ago with the kit to join them. Since then 5 others in my group who suffered sticker shock when I bought mine have purchased the same setup. The Honda's sip fuel, are quiet and provide stable power (computers, or other electronics) and super light. Being able to charge a battery with the little jumper cable is great too.

quite is best...look at the Kipor if you want to save some $$ off the Honda...

Thanks for the response I am not set on the indusrtial as of yet. I did pull up the specks and the honda's and Yamaha's use half the fuel for the same run time. I will look at the other brand mentioned and see what they are all about. My biggest thing is having enouph output to run the A/C.

Seems like you have already decided then? Personally speaking I know quite a few people that have the Honda 3000 and wont go any other way after having one. IMO the extra grand is not just for a quieter machine but overall quality.

Good hunting...

Wade

+1 on Honda

Yamaha 2400. I personally have one and you cannot go wrong. I pulled mine out from my fifth wheel just the other day and ran the AC on it for an hour or two since I had not run it in a while. It uses extremely little fuel. When I shut mine off to store, I turn off the fuel valve and let it run out of fuel (so gas is not sitting in the carb for an excessive amount of time). It will take a good five minutes for it to finally shut down. I understand that Yamaha specifically designed these for the RV crowd to run ACs. Starts on the first pull 9 out of 10 times. Starts on the 2nd pull if it has been sitting for 6 months.

It weighs about 70 lbs and is no problem for me to load by myself. I know that some people like the smaller Hondas since they are lighter but you need two to run the AC.

It is so quiet that me and a friend stood with it running between us and had a conversation in normal tones with no problems. Your camp neighbors will appreciate it. I have had several compliments from fellow campers.

I bought mine about three years ago. I don't remember where I bought mine (internet somewhere), but I believe I paid about $1200 at the time.

I'll say that either the Yamaha or the Honda are the way to go. Like I said I have the 2 honda 2000 setup. Runs my ac on my trailer just fine. They have tons of hours on them and the only service I have ever done clean a carb that I let the gas gum up in. Other than that change the oil, maybe soon the plugs. Draining the gas is required if you store them. Just sayin.

The kipor is an exact copy of the hondas. I looked at my Honda next to my friends kipor and they are exact. I used my job site geny one time after I got our trailer. It was so loud even inside the trailer. I just set my Honda right beside the bathroom and you do not hear it inside the trailer. Then when you turn it to echo mode it is almost wisper silent. My brother in law got one of the yellow champions. It was louder than the hondas but not near as loud as the job site ones. My next one will be the 3000 Honda because it has the remote starter now so on cold mornings you are not running out in your pjs to start it you just push the button and have power. I am thinking of going solar this year to see if I like it charging the batery. I wish I had better luck keeping a batery good.