Sign in to follow this  
TATAat27

Black river

Just wondering if anyone has been to the river lately. I will be going in the next couple weeks to the tick flat area. It will be a first for me and my dad. Any tips would be appreciated. Not looking for honey holes, just general info as far as bears, camping, etc....

Thanks, Rich

make sure you have permits that cover every minute of your time on the res. My neighbor was up and they pulled out in first thing in the morning on the last day and did not have permits for that day. You used to have a few hours grace period in the morning, but a new rule change caught them resulting in 14 tickets. :ph34r:

Can you say revenue enhancement?

make sure you have permits that cover every minute of your time on the res. My neighbor was up and they pulled out in first thing in the morning on the last day and did not have permits for that day. You used to have a few hours grace period in the morning, but a new rule change caught them resulting in 14 tickets. :ph34r:

Can you say revenue enhancement?

Thats good to know, I really never have a permit for the last day because we always leave in the morning. Thanks for the heads up.

On the San Carlos side, your permits are for 24 hour periods. On the Ft. Apache side, they are for individual calendar days, meaning you'll have to have a permit for each day regardless of how late you arrive or how early you leave.

I've heard the water level is still quite high, and it's still murky. Haven't heard any specific fishing reports yet though. Have a good time.

I think they changed from 24 hours to one day? I went to san carlos for the night and had to buy two days of permits.

It's been several years since I have been to Tick Flat. Keep the food and trash locked in the vehicle when gone during the day and when sleeping. No food in the tents. You'll probably se fresh trax through camp in the morning and plenty of overturned rocks along the river during the day.

Hike an hour before starting to fish.

Had the most fun by flyrodding a popper or grasshopper. If spinfishing, we used a 3" black mr. twister grub, or small crayfish crankbait.

Have fun.

A friend of mine went to georges basin on white mntn apache side and caught 60 nice smallmouth in a day and a half water levels good using spinners ,he said one guy was slaughtering them using natural bait crawdads and helgramites and a few on frogs good luck.

My buddies and I made a day trip this past Sat. to the Pump Station. There was a lot of people and the fish seemed pressured. We caught several smallies and some trout; using mostly brown or black roostertails. Other people there were catching trout using crawdads and worms. Water was still pretty cool, but felt awesome cause it was pretty darn hot. Bring some swim trunks, cause Tick Flat will be even wamer

San Carlos rez permits are based on a calendar day. I have an annual for the rez already but a special use permit is required for black river which I think is $20.00 and it is only for day use, no camping.

I was at Tick Flat 2 years ago, used to go every year for the fishing. The last 2 times I have gone the fish have been full of worms. They are little white worms in the meat of the fish. Dont know if these can hurt you or not but kinda takes a little of the fun out of catching them. Other than that its a great place for camping, hiking, spotting bears and for me catch and release.

Ron

On this trip we did not see any bears but when we were there last August we had two of them come to close for comfrot. We talked to some of the other guys camping and they didnt see any either. Still spooky cause you know they are there, but at least for the most part they scare easy

Here is a few pics from a couple of weeks ago... water was high and cold, we didn't catch any smalliies and it was windy...we were above pump station ...biggest was a 4lb. brown...

can't upload pics :( ...i will try again later....