galiuro mountain man

Got my deer yesterday

I started using vortex mimi max broadheads in the mid 80's and have shot several elk deer and hogs and have never had any problem or lost animals from using a mechanical broadhead . these heads cut a 2 inch hole and leave a great blood trail . I had one elk go about 80 yards after the shot everything has been under 40 yards I would not shoot anything but these heads .

Congrats on the deer

Nice bucks just seen the photos :unsure: . Don't give up on the mechanicals, I have shot many animals with them with no problems what so ever. I do not like the Snypers though, you have to have the rubber to hold them into position for them to shoot good. Try shooting the Ironhead XP's, they shoot like darts and do not have the rubber. You can shoot them 5-6 times in a target then change blades and off you go. I have one broadhead I shot 4 animals with and as with all broadheads its about shot placement for performance. Mechanicals enable you to have better arrow flight for those not so good conditions we tend to shoot in.

Thank you guys.

I have been shooting vortex for a long time. I have put down a lot of animals with them, but the past 2 years I have had issues with them. The buck I hit yesterday would have been a passthrough using a fixed blade, it would have glanced off the bone and hit it perfect. Last year my bh hung up on the opposite side of my deer and didnt let it bleed out right, it was a perfect shot but no blood. The reason I liked the mechanicals was because of the larger cutting diamiter. I can make just about any head fly just as good as the Vortex. You are right about shot placement, a person can kill a deer with a field tip if it has been well placed. The reason I am switching is because of penetration. On my second deer I had a BH punch through the shoulder on on side and through lungs and stick in the tree behind my deer. It was slightly quartered to me and I made a slightly off shot, but it still made it through. It was a fixed blade, and the bow I used I only estimate at about 50# KE. I know my vortex wouldnt do that. It has to make too big of a hole and the blades arent at the best angle to penetrate. I will still carry at least one though, just in case it is real windy.

GMM

Nice buck, and good story. I am confused about that 1/2 mile shot???? :unsure:

Like Allen said, I too have great respect for anyone who takes an archery Coues.

Congrats.

Great job, any archery coues is a great trophy.

Great job! You have TONS to be proud of, two in a row!

B)

Congrats GMM! Good looking buck. I envy all of you all who are bowhunting this time of year!! -Shiras

I thought you shot him with a canon and blew his body off. B)