bowhunter81

YOUR BIGGEST ANTELOPE

If you really want to hunt them, go to WY! I'll likely never draw a tag in AZ, and could never wait that long. ;) I try to go to WY every year.

My two biggest:

CO, 2006, 80"+

COAntBuck06.jpg

WY, 2009, 81"

Goat1.jpg

Goat3.jpg

Hope to top him in WY in about a month!

If you really want to hunt them, go to WY! I'll likely never draw a tag in AZ, and could never wait that long. ;) I try to go to WY every year.

how much to hunt in WY roughly? all public land or do you go on private?

Amanda.

I hunted there two years ago and it was $246 I think for everything. We hunted a private ranch since I bought the hunt for my dad for Fathers Day. Most of WY is private but the have public land as well. They also have a walk in area program. Basically the fish and game have deals with certain land owners to allow access on a walk in only basis. There are more antelope in WY than people so opportunity is nearly guaranteed. It just depends on how picky you want to be.

You can also call the fish and game and get a list of land owners who will allow access for a fee. I did this a few years ago. Some fees were outrageous but some were pretty fair.

Amanda.

I hunted there two years ago and it was $246 I think for everything. We hunted a private ranch since I bought the hunt for my dad for Fathers Day. Most of WY is private but the have public land as well. They also have a walk in area program. Basically the fish and game have deals with certain land owners to allow access on a walk in only basis. There are more antelope in WY than people so opportunity is nearly guaranteed. It just depends on how picky you want to be.

You can also call the fish and game and get a list of land owners who will allow access for a fee. I did this a few years ago. Some fees were outrageous but some were pretty fair.

thanks!! I think I need to plan a hunt in WY!

Amanda.

Amanda,

I'll be heading to WY for my first antelope hunt in a month. I'm pretty excited! We'll be hunting in areas that are mostly public but we do have some access to private. In addition to the buck tag that I drew, I also drew 2 doe tags. Pretty sure this was right around $300 for all 3. My buddy also called me up and said there were leftover doe tags so he picked another one up for me. That's 4 antelope tags for a little over $300 :blink: :blink: :blink:

I'll let you know how it goes!

Amanda.

Amanda,

I'll be heading to WY for my first antelope hunt in a month. I'm pretty excited! We'll be hunting in areas that are mostly public but we do have some access to private. In addition to the buck tag that I drew, I also drew 2 doe tags. Pretty sure this was right around $300 for all 3. My buddy also called me up and said there were leftover doe tags so he picked another one up for me. That's 4 antelope tags for a little over $300 :blink: :blink: :blink:

I'll let you know how it goes!

Wow! Definitely keep me (and all of us here) posted!

how much to hunt in WY roughly? all public land or do you go on private?

I've never hunted private before, except Hunter Management Areas that are private land open to the public through the F&G access program.

An antelope tag is $286, which includes a $14 app fee. If you want a preference point if unsuccessful, you have to include another $30, which is refunded if you draw.

Most areas in the central and western part of the state have ample public land to hunt, but those units typically take at least 1-2 points to draw. You can increase your odds by applying in the "Special" draw, which costs an additional $240. Many units with large amounts of public land can be drawn with 0-1 point in this draw. It seems steep, but I'd rather pay an extra fee to the state and be able to hunt an entire unit, rather than pay a trespass fee in a mostly private unit and be limited to one ranch.

If you are serious about giving it a try, you should purchase a preference point right now. The preference point purchase period is open until the end of September. You can log on the WY F&G website and buy one for $30.

As someone else said, you can also apply for up to two reduced price doe tags on you buck tag application for $48 each. If there are leftovers, you can purchase an additional 2 for $34 each (no $14 app fee).

Here's a handy map of the state, with land ownership and antelope units. It gives you an idea of which units have plenty of public land.

http://plicmapcenter.org/pdf/WY_BLM_Antelope_PLIA.pdf

Here are the bucks I've killed in WY since 2004. No monsters, but some respectable bucks.

04WYAntelope.jpg

2005buckAnt.jpg

WYbuck06edit.jpg

Goat2.jpg

Sorry this got a little off topic. :ph34r:

Antelope are awesome! I just got done chasing them around this past week in 10. Very tough hunt for anyone holding out for big bucks, tons of good bucks, 70-80" class, that would've been fairly easy stalks but just not big enough. All the goats were scattered with TONS of miles between em' and the bigger bucks weren't with does. We were holding out for solid 80" class bucks and found very few. I know I was being very conservative on score because my friend only wanted 80"+ because he's already got 3 archery bucks smaller than that, but it seems like a weird year for Antelope horn growth in 10 at least, maybe it was just me?

Here's a couple nice bucks, nothing giant tho.....

This was my archery spot n' stalk buck. I ate several archery tags before finally wrappin' one on a horn, probably my most cherished trophy!

ARCHERYANT.jpg

Purdy buck I got in Montana.....

MA5.jpg

Really good buck my bro n' law hammered on the run at long range with one shot.....

scan001600.jpg

Decent buck my little bro Tommie took....

scan001700.jpg

And a nice buck Pops took....

scan003400.jpg

This is my 2010 AZ Archery Goat & I shot this buck at 30 yards. I will be the first to admit that I got pretty darn lucky on this one. I did not see many bucks with size, but I did have an 82-84" buck within bow range, but as happens so many times he strolled away. Hope you guys enjoy!

CraigSteele2010.JPG

CraigSteele2010#2.JPG

Wow thats another great lookin goat CEI youve got a nice collection of archery goats. Great acomplishment.

Mark

What a great looking buck, Craig. Mind sharing some numbers? He sure looks like he's got to be close to 82".