TREESTANDMAN

Leica Geovids or 15*56 swarovs

I've owned some 15*56 swarovs for years and love them to death. I had to sell them recently and now I'm back again looking to purchase some tripod binos. I like the fact that the Geovide has a built in rangefinder and I'm wondering if there is much of any difference in the clarity of the binos? Any advice would be appreciated:)

thx,

Mike

Neither. Duovids.

I have never felt the need for a 15x rangefinder. Plus, the warranty on them suckes because of the built in electronics.

Personally, I tested the Swaros vs the Duovids before I bought the Duovids and I thought the Swaros had a weird blue hue to them, and I overall liked the Duovids much more. Especially since they are two in one!

Everybody's eyes are different, try as many as you can. I like swaro 15s and geovids in a 10x. I like my uncles 15geovids a lot too. I havent spent much time behind em though. My 10x geos arent very clear around the edges but are crystal in 90% of FOV. Id say the center of geos are more clear for me than the 15x swaros but thats not realy fair to compare 10x and 15x. A built in range finder is definately handy. I like it on my 10s because its always there. Some guys dont like the "all in one" style.

There are a pair of 15 geovids on the SWFA sample list for $1600.....never looked through them, I love my Swaro's but I don't think this is much difference between the two (or Zeiss)/

Redman

I'm starting to believe that high end binos are like bows, they are all different and some people use them better than others. For example, my dad has the Zeiss 15's and swears by them. He can find any critter through those binos and has a difficult time finding critters through my swaro 15's when he borrows them. IT just comes down to however fits you best.

I was with casey when we compared swaros to lieca binos and Casey & Red rabbit was seeing a blue hue through the swaros and more color through lieca while I was uncomfortable with the lieca and thought the swaro showed better viewing than lieca. Go test them both and pick something you are most comfortable with and something that you feel you can sit behind for hours.

Good luck, tell us the outcome

By the way, those 10x42's you sold to me are still turning up critters and I swear by them now!

IMHO the 15 power Geovids are useless!

Anytime you add a laser element to a binocular you cut down on light transmission dramatically. This means that for glassing purposes, you are giving up something just to have a feature you will probably never need. I can't imagine having to range something off my tripod and I am sure as heck NOT gonna hand those 15s around my neck.

I spoke at length to a Zeiss engineer about this very thing. He told me that their new range finding binoculars give up several percentage points in light transmission to the regular Victory models. If you are going to buy 15X binoculars, get ones that are good for glassing ( I don't think there is anything out there as good as the 15x56 Swaros) I have compared them to the Leica Duovids (Red Rabbits), the Geovids (no contest) the Ultravids (still no contest) and the less expensive stuff out there like the Kaibabs and Minox.

IF the Geovids were as good as the Ultravids for glassing, then I can see the range finding feature might be fun to play with to see how far away stuff is while you are glassing, but they are NOT as good as the Ultravids. If you have to use them as your ONLY range finder, you would be severely handicapped. The little hand-held range finders are far easier to use and just as accurate.

I have thought this out quite a bit. The regular powered Geovids are great for guiding, not so great for hunting. I prefer the 8x binocs and the CRF range finder for my hunting and I have tried about everything.

I have the Geovids in 10x and I love them. That being said I would never buy them again. Too much money for such a sorry warranty. I carry the swarovski 15x and love them, they fit me well and mount to a tripod quickly and solidly. I do not like Leica's mounting system.

On a side note, I cant wait until my Leica 1600 LRF gets in. They say august.

Thanks for the info everyone. I've never looked through the Leica 15*56 Geovids however I've done a lot of research and with the exception of catclaw's post, most are saying the clarity and light gathering abilities compared to the swarovski 15*56's are minute if noticeable at all. Some even say the Leica Geovids are more crisp than the swarovski's which I have experienced with the 10*42's.

I've decided to try out the Minox 15*58's which are a fraction of the price of swarovski's and Leica's and have very similar benefits from what I'm told. I will do a swarovski side by side test with my new Minox and write up a review as soon as I am able.

Mike

I really like the kaibabs too for big glass, you just have to see what fits you well. After getting used to the geovids I hate not having a RF in my binos. I can definately say the 15x Geos aren't lackin in clarity or light gathering at all. Ive only had them and 15 Swaro side by side for a few minutes.

Young hunter,

I've considered the Kiababs as well. I'm choosing the Minox for the reviews/price. The Minox are only $500.00 the Kiababs are $1K. With the reviews I've ready from the Minox, you can't go wrong with $499.00!

My eyes are not narrow so I think the Minox should work. If I find out I've made a mistake I'll sell the Minox with the transferrable warranty and get the Kiababs, Leica, or Swarovs again.

Mike

You will be happy with the minox! A little heavy but i've compared them side by side to the vortex and they are much clearer and crisper than the vortex. I love my minox and wouldnt trade them for any other 15s.

jake

If you spent much time with your Swarovskis, you are going to regret buying the Minox. They are $1500 cheaper for a reason. Your original post was asking about the Geovids, another $2000+ binocular. My point is this, if you want to glass from a tripod, get glass withOUT a laser as you are handicapping yourself. This is fact. If you want binoculars with a rangefinder in them, get a small enough binocular that you can hang around your neck or harness. The Leica Ultravids are great glass. The Geovids are pretty handy when you get the 8x42s or possibly the 10x42s. The Zeiss Victory RF are really good too.

I am scratching my head as to how this went from Swaro/Leica to Minox?? Good luck dude.

Catclaw,

You may be right about the focal quality of the swarovs/leica to the Minox. If you are right I will sell my Minox for close to what I purchased them for and get some swarovs or Leicas. I've owned swarovs for many years and I do love them.

I have no idea if you are right about the lazer negatively affecting the Leica glass? It doesn't really make sense to me as to how it would affect it that much.

Have you ever compared Minox 15*58's to Swarov 15*56's side by side? With high quality glass, that is really the best way to accurately compare them which I plan to do very soon. If I feel the difference is minute....then I'm probably going to start recommending minox. The price was dropped from 1k down to 500.00 for a reason. I'm wondering if it is because the Minox binos don't fit those with narrow eyes? Or maybe the glass just isn't that great? Too heavy? The name? I've often wondered how much it actually costs swarovski or Leica, Zeiss to make a pair of 3K binoculars? All that material purchased in bulk can't cost all that much? What exactly sets a swarovski El 10*42 binocular from a Nikon Monarch 10*42 bino? Sure you can tell the difference (a little) in low light situations. But in broad daylight looking across a canyon 200 yds away the difference is very small.

I remember reading a comparison 3 members of this site did comparing the Swarovski EL 8*42 to a Zen-ray 8*43 ED. I was amazed that the consensus was that the zen-rays were equal if not slightly clearer and crisper than the 2K EL swarovs. The zen-ray are a $400 pair of binos with a good waranty. How can this be?

Sorry for getting a little philosophical. I'm excited to put my new binos to the test!!

I wish I had some to try out before ordering them but not many stores carry them.

Mike