Sign in to follow this  
deserthunter23

15D Sheep Tag

Thanks to all for the help and advise,just digesting it all.......working out and thinking its only a short 4 months till it happens! thanks again,Steve

Azunter84,Thanks,Ive been trying to do my homework ,any info you might help with would be appreciated,I had some economic issues like lots of folks so I am not able to hire a guide,moneys just not there.I have a mule deer hunt in 12BW Oct 22,I took 7 days off and am hoping to be able to go scout some during those days,(lots of driving) then I have 2 chances to scout in Nov and will be talking 10 days off the first of Dec,any advice you could give would be awesome,thanks,Steve

Well......the story does have a happy ending ! I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to hunt these beautiful sheep in my own state.I trained for months and was kind of worried because some health issues had me on my back right before the hunt was to start.It is a month long season but is hard to arrange time off from my job and I had already planned my trip and so had my hunting buddies.Anyway I did leave on time ,although with bruises still on my arms from being stuck full of needles.I and my friends glassd for a few days and were lucky enough to see a 170 plus ram that been harvested in an area we had been glassing.we decided to glass into an area that was wilderness access only ,saw alot of rams(glassed up 16 total on the hunt) and did see way up top the ram iI did harvest.It was about a 4 hour hike in and the shot ,which I am lucky enough to have on video,was taken cross a small canyon up hill 328 yards.After settling in took the shot and one awesome ram ! Was aged by game and fish at 9 years and is just what I had envisioned in my dreams.Thought he would score in mid 160s but was busted up alot so 150 was the mark.So much character and have alot of live footage with him and the other 16 sheep on the hill that Im totally happy with him.Its not always about the score ,an awesome hunt in awesome country with my hunting partner of years made it one of my best hunts ever,its still sinking in.Anyway I thank God for the opportunity and being able to get my butt out of bed and do this hunt.thank you to all who helped and I hope as many as possible can someday do a sheep hunt,is the best .thanks Steve

That is an awesome ram! A huge congratulations!!!!!

Congratulations on a beautiful ram. I too say it's not about the score but about the hunt in general. I envy you and hope someday to hunt one myself. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Heres one more from a different angle.The wildernerness area we were in was Mt Nutt on the Secret Pass side,about 3/4 of the way to the top.started in at 8am and got back to the truck at 6pm.thanks again to all who helped either glassing or packing out,you are true friends.Steve

Hi Steve,

I remember chatting with you at the clinic and sharing our excitement of the hunt. You are absolutely right that the number doesn't really mean a whole lot. You killed a great mature ram on your own terms with only the help from your friends. That is an excellent outcome. I am happy for you man. Hope to be able to share stories and pics at the banquet this fall. Hope to see you there. Again, congratulations on a great Arizona Desert Bighorn.

Nick

Thanks Nick! It was fun at the clinic and I hope you had as much fun on your hunt as I did .Is that your ram in your avatar pic? Let me know how it went ,I wil lbe at the banquet ,Clay from Mogollon Taxidermy is doing my mount ,going with a half body mount on a rock ,should be ready by banquet time and I plan on displaying it there.Once again thanks ,look forward to seeing you there.Steve

That is a beautiful sheep!!!!!The score doesn't matter,it's between you and the ram.The score is only a referance if you don't have pictures.Congrats Cliff