Sign in to follow this  
Heat

AZ Taxidermists?

I might need to use a taxidermist this fall I want to start doing my research now. Can anybody recommend any top quality taxidermists that work in AZ or nearby? The lion thread has me scared to death about using someone I know little about. I have my eyes on one, but I would like a lot more opinions. If you don't want to post it here, a PM would be great.

Thanks,

Nick

There are many great taxidermists in AZ. Of course I recommend to everyone to support those that support this website. We have three taxidermist sponsors right now and they do some outstanding work. Please consider them when searching for a taxidermist.

Clay Goldman in Payson - http://www.mogollontaxidermy.com/index.html

Weller's Wildlife in Tucson - http://www.wellerswildlifestudio.com/

Wild Heritage Taxidermy in Young - http://www.wildheritagetaxidermy.com/

All three of these are Official Sponsors of CouesWhitetail.com.

You might also find this old thread useful. It talks about peoples' favorite Coues Taxidermists. I don't know if you are looking for one for Coues or Elk or what, but you might find that some taxidermists do better with certain species. Some might be great for mountain lion, but not so much for Coues. Some might be great at Coues but not lions....etc.

Anyway, read through this thread there is a lot of good info in it:

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...?showtopic=6645

Nick,

I've used Wellers for Coues deer and they do great work. And although I've never used him, Clay at Mogollon seems to do exceptional work as well.

Nick,

From the mounts I have seen and own, I would recommend TR Taxidermy in Flag for Antelope and Sheep. You should also consider Henry Aguilar in Kingman for your bighorn. Since your lifesize sheep mount will be an expense and a lifetime treasure, I would go see mounts in each prospective taxidermist's shop and ask for recent clients so you may look at theirs also.

Congrats on your tags and wish you the best of enjoyment on your hunts.

Doug~RR

Henry has done a number of sheep mounts for a couple friends. Good work for sure. Have my eye on him for the sheep.

Nick

Do your homework & don't leave yourself open to be disappointed. Many hunters choose different taxidermists for different reasons. Always!!!! Visit websites, check out their studio, videos, brochures and everything you can find before you make a choice. If you want a good mount be prepared to pay a decent price and always check out the specific animal you want.

Personally, I will never use a taxidermist that does not run their studio like a business! My past mistake cost me $325 dollars; I was ignorant. Usually when someone gets a poor mount it is because they haven't done their homework, I have been this guy before...

Don't just take someones word for it, do your homework!

Weller's has done whitetails, mule deer, mountain lions, kudu, waterbuck, oryx and impala for me. I have been sending my business to them for at least 15 years and they have produced super mounts and rugs. Many of our guests have sent them lions, whitetails and mule deer and I have heard nothing but good reports. If you get to Tucson, you should drop by their studio and look at their work. It's really impressive!

+1 for Wellers...They have done some great work for my family! Take a look at their website and look at their pics!

Look at Jerry's taxidermy studio on the east side of Tucson and he has a shop in benson he takes real pride in his work and his mounts look amazing 520-576-7251

You cannot go wrong with Wellers. However, if it's a sheep you do have to strongly consider TR Taxidermy in Flagstaff as RedRabbit eluded to. TR Taxidermy has mounted some very impressive sheep. They have won many awards for good reason. His clientele is basically word of mouth but he has done work on many of the biggest rams ever harvested in this state and he is exceptional. So I guess this would be the words of my mouth! BTW he has done all of my Coues deer and I couldn't be happier. Going back to "the post" regarding taxidermy some of us can breathe easy with our trophies.