Sign in to follow this  
geiset

Deer shed grown into tree!

post-2995-1280975957.jpg

post-2995-1280975971.jpg

post-2995-1280975987.jpg

While at work today my boss was hikin a line over from me and found this three point shed with grown into the tree. It must have been very old because it had leikin growing on it and it supposed to take many years for it to start growing on stuff! Just thought I'd post this awesome find today. And the other picture is of a little snake we found eating a horny toad!

work_pics.zip

Makes me wonder if the deer lost it in the tree or if someone picked it up and stuck it there?

The snake kind of reminds me of Rosie O'donnel and a box of Krispy Kreams!

I think it was shed like that because it was still touching the ground and you could see where a branch caught it and it has grown that way for years.

Wow, very cool!! And I would guess the shed fell that way. That's a great find! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. And very cool snake/horned lizard pic. Just saw a horned lizard like that yesterday...only it was my dog trying to eat it not a snake :)

i've seen several like that over the years. found a nice 4x4 muley set in an ocotillo once. they were grown into it pretty good. in unit 27 there is a place called saunder's cabin. there is a big 6 point shed that someone nailed to the tree by the first eyeguard by hammering a couple horseshoes around it. it has been there long enough that the entire base and first eyeguard are grown into the tree. at least 45 years that i know of. i think that the one in the photo is there naturally. unless it was a midget, a guy woulda put it up higher. those young trees grow pretty fast. it was probably quite small when the antler was shed. nature is pretty cool. anything that can happen, will. Lark.

Thanks cool,

We had a tree in front of our home here is Payson that I used as my "Antler Tree" for over 20 years, when we moved I had to leave a handful of them there because the tree grew around them.

One I was very fond of, a 120" coues I found in 1984. But would of had to break it to get it out.

i've seen several like that over the years. found a nice 4x4 muley set in an ocotillo once. they were grown into it pretty good. in unit 27 there is a place called saunder's cabin. there is a big 6 point shed that someone nailed to the tree by the first eyeguard by hammering a couple horseshoes around it. it has been there long enough that the entire base and first eyeguard are grown into the tree. at least 45 years that i know of. i think that the one in the photo is there naturally. unless it was a midget, a guy woulda put it up higher. those young trees grow pretty fast. it was probably quite small when the antler was shed. nature is pretty cool. anything that can happen, will. Lark.

Lark: Saunders Cabin rang my chimes. In the late 1960s there was a major winterkill of deer in that portion of Unit 27. I hunted elk from horseback in the Strayhorse, Chitty Creek/Baldy Bill,/Rose Peak area that next fall and there were skeletens of whitetails and mule deer literally every 200-300 yards down every canyon. My friends and I climbed off and grabbed the best heads and carried them until we found better ones. We then hung the discards in trees all over that unit, and I came home with three or four whopper heads. One of the mule deer I found is listed in the AWF record book as a pickup.

Bill Quimby

wow