iBowAZ

Increasing my range...

I have a Browning 300 WSM with a Leopold Vari-X 3 4.5x14x40 and I've been shooting these Winchester 150gr. silver tips. Also, the scope has a duplex reticle. The last time I drew a rifle tag (2008), I set the gun up to be dead-on at 200 yards and that's how it sits right now. At the range, I mostly practiced at 200yrds and shot the metal plate at 300yrds once in a while.

This year, I would like to stretch my comfort level out to 3-400yrds. My question is, with this rifle setup, ammo and practice of course is 3-400 realistic?

Thanks for reading.

post-4608-1281499492_thumb.jpg

post-4608-1281499054_thumb.jpg

Are you serious? Of course you can shoot 400 yards and even more thant that. You must practice a lot and then practice more and keep practicing. Place a box at diferent ranges 300, 350, 400 etc and know where you bullet is hitting and how many inches your bullet is droping. Get to know your scope and rifle and get to know your limitations.......cause it sounds to me that till now you have being limiting your self. Good luck and take care.

Ernesto C

Hi Ernesto,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I've been reading too much about the need for mil dot scopes, heavy barrels and hand loaded ammo if you really want to reach out there with any accuracy.

Thanks

Tim

You dont have to have a heavy barrel, and a mil scope to shoot long range. With that set up even 500-600yrds shouldnt be a problem.

with practice you should be able to go way farther than that. i shoot a simular set up. i have practiced out to 600 so far but i plan on going farther.(300wm mk4 4.5-14x40 lrt) the two scopes are almost the same. depending on the age of you scope the adjustment knobs should be resettable. if they are sight it in to 100y. find a good ballistic calculator, and check the calculators results you to 4 5 6 7 800y. your set up is capable.

I think you will be fine exactly like that out to 400. If you want to step out further or lessen the effects of wind I would definately step up to a 180gr bullet, maybe a 165, but I like 180s, and some like 210s. If you decide to start reaching out a little further, you might want to look at some balistic tables to see where the bullet would be if you moved your sight in distance to 300. It may not change 100 very much, but definatley help when you are reaching out there at 400+ with the duplex reticle.

Hello All,

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions. I will start investigating some of these streams of information and report back once I’ve made a trip to the range. Hopefully this weekend!

Thanks again!

Tim

One thing you do have right is not shooting out of your comfort zone. Thats what I tell people all the time. You can't just buy a set up like Best of the west and shoot at animals way beyond your range. Keep practicing and look into a turret from Kenton Industries IF you want to go farther. There are other ways to go but that gun can kill 800 yards.

Leupold custom shop and cds turrets! I just bought the same scope you have with the turrets stock. They can add them for a price (about 90 for the turret and 60 for the cap I think). That will get you out there quite a ways (700+) with a single revolution of the turret cap. Dead on hold, no guessing elevation.

Nick

Hi Nick,

You're reading my mind. I sent Leupold an email a couple days ago to see what types of mods were available for my scope. Which turrets were available and which reticles.

We'll see...haven't heard back yet.

Take care,

Tim

Look into kenton industries too, they make turrys for many types of scopes an are very helpfull. Give them a call with any questions. They know their stuff.

Just remember if you use a custom turret. It will be set for one LOAD, one ALT, one TEMP, one BAR, and one HUM. If you shoot at the same ALT Temp ect these would work great. These all will make a big difference as you start to shoot long range. You will never see one of these turrets on any of my rifles. Run the numbers through a balistics program and you will see what all these factors do to the balistics.

I do think it would be a great idea for you to get turrets for your scope, just not the calibrated ones. Regular/M1

Turrets make a big differnce when shooting long range. Also make sure to find a good balistics program calculator for your set up. Find out what muzzel vel (FPS) Trajectory and bullet WT ect.. plug those in and you will see how quick you will be shooting 5 to 600yrds.

great scope great cartrigdge great ammo. keep shooting futher until your groups reach 6-7inches in diameter( for coues). also there is a match on the 4th saturday at rio salado . 500 yards great practice and has a practical application to coues shots especially