Sign in to follow this  
DCMHunter

Valuable lessons learned

After my son got his deer first thing Friday morning and I was going to work, I finally got out in the field in the afternoon. I went out to my ground blind and got all set up when around 5:30 I see some deer coming my way. Three bucks and 2 of them are shooters. There was a forked horn tall and wide and a nice 3X3 that I have pictures of on my trail camera. The 3X3 is about 85 - 90 shooter. The third buck I had not seen before a big tall 4X4 I am quessing over 100. The 4X4 comes threw the oaks and drops down into a draw. When he is 30 yards away and about to come out of the draw I adjusted my possition to get a better allignment with my windows and my foot hits some oak leaves in the blind. The bucks head comes up giving me a good look at his antlers and then he turns around and walks back out down the draw and threw the oaks never giving me a shoot. Lesson 1: Make sure the floor of your blind is clear of anything that will make noise. Little to say the 3X3 and forky left with the big one.

The next day I had a turkey walk in front of me at 20 yards and I take a shot, My Rage rage opens when it goes threw the sceen and I miss. Lesson 2: Don't shot an mechanical broad head threw a sceen.

I then had some elk come by the stand and I spent a long day sitting on a trypod stool. Lesson 3: make sure you have a comfortable seat if you are going to sit all day on it.

I didn't get my deer this last weekend but had a great time. I did get some pictures of the three by with my camera that I will try to down load and get posted.

P.S. I would like to thank the three hunters that started to walk infront of my blind and when they saw I was there they left the area and did not return. If you are out there in CWT land and PM me some specifics on my set up I will share some information with you. Lesson 4: there are some decent hunters out there.

DCM

That sux the deer left. Hopefully next time you'll get a shot on one. I got this tip from tjhunt2 here, get a moving blanket from harbor freight and use That for a floor in your blind it Keeps the noise and dust down. Good luck next time out.

Thanks for the report. I really enjoy reading about people's time in the field even when they don't get a buck. Everyone can learn from the experience you had. Thanks for posting and better luck next time!

i feel your pain!

i had plenty of blunders of my own.

missed 2 shots at deer. a nice 3x3 coues and a forky muley both at 52 yards shot over then shot under

i had the little back window open and the 3x3 busted me then i rushed the shot on the fork muley

when i should have let him come drink

that was on the first day second day spent the day getting busted missed turkey comming to drink

didn't see them until they were leaving

blew a stalk on a nice 3x3 muley in the rain

then on sunday stalked another big coues 3x3 90 inches easy

got to about 90 yds and another hunter popped up and had bounced him below me and i did't see him.

then walked up on the 2x2 s that were with him and bounced them aaaaahhhhhhhg

all this when my brother inlaw broke his string on opening day and stayed with me!

it was 1 of the best hunts i have ever been on!

in reading your post i will file those lessons in the memory bank.

can't wait til' next week!

james

Ha let me tell you my story of this weekend.

I got to my spot well before sun up and I knew that spot was holding some good deer. I had done my homework on the area over the last few months. Well we are sitting there a bit before 5am and after about an hour I see legs walking down the hill opposite of us. I motion to the other guy to be quite, nock an arrow, and attach the release. The deer comes out in the opening 30 yards to my left and starts grazing. At this point Im standing behind a tree the deer is broadside to me and he is oblivious to our presence. I was shooting an x-force nicely sighted in with a smart rest non capture style. So to keep the arrow from falling off the rest on draw I use my index finger to hold the arrow where I want it. At this point my mind is racing Im shaking pretty good and its pretty hard to contain myself. So with the arrow pointing down I start to draw and raise the bow at the same time. Five inches into the draw I hear that all to familiar tink of arrow meeting riser. Any buck at 30 yards would have heard me and this one was no different. He was gone back up the hill stopping every 20 yards doing the hiss to warn all the other deer around. So what Happened?????

The nock came out of the back of the arrow on the draw...... with the pressure from my finger on the shaft it held the arrow and during the start of my draw the nock just slid out the back..... Now tell me that doesnt suck I mean who does that happen to.

Oh yeah and thirty minutes later I sent an arrow over the back of another buck.....

The nock came out of the back of the arrow on the draw...... with the pressure from my finger on the shaft it held the arrow and during the start of my draw the nock just slid out the back..... Now tell me that doesnt suck I mean who does that happen to.

I did it in Dec 17 yds from a small 3x3 muley.

It will make my first archery success even sweeter

After my son got his deer first thing Friday morning and I was going to work, I finally got out in the field in the afternoon. I went out to my ground blind and got all set up when around 5:30 I see some deer coming my way. Three bucks and 2 of them are shooters. There was a forked horn tall and wide and a nice 3X3 that I have pictures of on my trail camera. The 3X3 is about 85 - 90 shooter. The third buck I had not seen before a big tall 4X4 I am quessing over 100. The 4X4 comes threw the oaks and drops down into a draw. When he is 30 yards away and about to come out of the draw I adjusted my possition to get a better allignment with my windows and my foot hits some oak leaves in the blind. The bucks head comes up giving me a good look at his antlers and then he turns around and walks back out down the draw and threw the oaks never giving me a shoot. Lesson 1: Make sure the floor of your blind is clear of anything that will make noise. Little to say the 3X3 and forky left with the big one.

The next day I had a turkey walk in front of me at 20 yards and I take a shot, My Rage rage opens when it goes threw the sceen and I miss. Lesson 2: Don't shot an mechanical broad head threw a sceen.

I then had some elk come by the stand and I spent a long day sitting on a trypod stool. Lesson 3: make sure you have a comfortable seat if you are going to sit all day on it.

I didn't get my deer this last weekend but had a great time. I did get some pictures of the three by with my camera that I will try to down load and get posted.

P.S. I would like to thank the three hunters that started to walk infront of my blind and when they saw I was there they left the area and did not return. If you are out there in CWT land and PM me some specifics on my set up I will share some information with you. Lesson 4: there are some decent hunters out there.

DCM

Yes, there are alot of decent hunters out there that will respect your spot. I've had many hunters walk in on my spots while sitting there and that will happen from time to time. I use a moving blanket from Harbor Freight and it works great for keeping the noise down. It also keeps the dirt down and keeps thing quiet while moving around in the blind. You are right about shooting a mehanical broadhead thru a screen. It doesn't work well. The last thing I will add is the only tripod stool I would sit on would be one from Double Bull. They are pretty good. I still prefer a good camp chair with arm rest that I can sleep in without falling out of. Good luck on the rest of your hunt. :)

TJ

Here are some photo's of the 3X at about 60 yards. The pictures were taken threw the sceen on my blindpost-652-1282661716.jpg

post-652-1282661754_thumb.jpg

post-652-1282661767.jpg

The 4X was wider and higher. The forky and this 3X stuck around for quite a while but never came in close enough for me to take a shot at them.

DCM