Sign in to follow this  
Harleyfx69

Hows your archery hunt going ?

Im a little bit in a bad mood..

Im hunting 11m and spotted some great bucks friday morning and they were already spooked, this was at about 5:30-6:00 so right at daylight..

Couldnt get close enough to shoot, drew back once and they went on their way..

later that day came back to this area and there was some jack butt driving around on a quad.. Sadly i know the people too, and they are suppose to be "top hunters" .. lost all respect in my minds eye..

Its good to get out hunting, but when people like this are in the area it ruins it, Im gonna try and get back out in the same area tomorow morning, but i doubt the bucks will be there

Don't give up! I also hunt where quads are present and I own quads myself. Maybe they didn't know you were in the area. Whatever the situation I wish you a better time the next time out and good luck with your hunt. :)

TJ

11M = Lots of people on quads, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, go carts, foot, ect. ect. 'M' stand for metropolitan, which means if I'm going to hunt that unit I go in with a very open mind, lots of people, mostly non-hunters out enjoying the beautiful area surrounding Flagstaff> Keep at it, at least you saw deer! That's more than I can say... :(

I feel for ya. I spent 4 days in a bling last weekend and had one doe come in, hopefully my luck will change. I only need the buck I'm after to come in once when i'm there, i hope.

i know what you mean.

to sit a water hole and have "hunters" drive up on there quads drive around the water hole "checking for tracks"

shouldn't they have scouted before hand?

or drive around until they see deer. :angry:

it has not been as bad this year where we are hunting but while we glass from the ridges we see this all the time.

i know not everyone with a quad or ranger does this but those who do............

hang in there!

when all is said and done it still beats work and i wouldn't give it up for nothing!

come on friday! :D

james

Too bad about the quads. I was up Sun - Thurs. 1/2 hunting deer 1/2 scouting elk. Not another hunter the whole time except for 2 on their way out on Sun. That was a nice change. Glassed up six coues bucks total and thought I eventually figured out what they were doin but wasn't able to cross paths within range. Maybe on the 7-9th. Stick with it. You got all year to day dream about hunting and only have a few days to actually hunt. Best of luck.

Sorry dude, but it's public land. Someone on their quad driving around (asuming they are on a ROAD) is no big deal and nothing you can do about it. Its their land too.

Now, if they were off road, then yeah thats not right!

Well, I was out opening morning for Archery deer just sitting in my stand and all I could hear were Predator Calls coming from opposite sides of my stand for the first 2 hours of daylight. What do you know, the bear hunters were out in full force. I meet a few of them on the mountain that weekend and what a great group of guys. :)

It all comes with the territory. You can scout all you want but, on opening day anything can happen. At least I still have December.

Best of luck,

detox

Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Went out Friday morning, in the blind by 5 a.m. The weather was perfect there was a light rain till 6 a.m. :ph34r: Then i heard a couple quads coming up one of the forest roads, no biggie right?? Yeah, as my luck would have it these gentlemen decided as the sun came up to do a little skeet shootin'!!!! They were about 400 yds from me; I thought they would leave once the sun started beating down on them, heck no! That's just my luck! Oh well, I still have one more weekend and a rifle tag; I guess I can't complain, that much...

Sorry dude, but it's public land. Someone on their quad driving around (asuming they are on a ROAD) is no big deal and nothing you can do about it. Its their land too.

Now, if they were off road, then yeah thats not right!

100% agree ... 90 + % of water holes and tanks in AZ are published and have roads that run right to or by them. If you are hunting that close to the road the only one you should be cussing is yourself. We were in the cool country the last couple weekends and the Storm Troopers ( that is what my dad calls the big groups of recreational drivers ) were all over the place. Just something you have to deal with on public lands.

Yes, i did get out this past weekend,

ive also been out nearly daily,

saw one spike a day or two after that incident, then yesterday saw the same group of bucks and chased em for about an hour, then they came near a road, and 2 guys came by a road in there truck and spooked them badly to run into the hills,

The comment i got from them "You see them bucks, dem was biggun's" .. ya i did.. almost had one too..

Also for the quads, i wouldnt be bitching if the were on a road, thought i was clear in saying they were literally driving across no road forest, just blazing after the dang deer.. Which IIRC is illegal and if caught carries a large fine and what not ..

Good luck yall

Yes, i did get out this past weekend,

ive also been out nearly daily,

saw one spike a day or two after that incident, then yesterday saw the same group of bucks and chased em for about an hour, then they came near a road, and 2 guys came by a road in there truck and spooked them badly to run into the hills,

The comment i got from them "You see them bucks, dem was biggun's" .. ya i did.. almost had one too..

Also for the quads, i wouldnt be bitching if the were on a road, thought i was clear in saying they were literally driving across no road forest, just blazing after the dang deer.. Which IIRC is illegal and if caught carries a large fine and what not ..

Good luck yall

Uh, no you weren't clear..... You mentioned nothing about them driving across no road.... "later that day came back to this area and there was some jack butt driving around on a quad.. Sadly i know the people too, and they are suppose to be "top hunters" .. lost all respect in my minds eye.. "

Always makes me smile when folks complain about others out doing their thing on public land. If you hunt a blind/tank, then expect to get messed-up by somebody else out there enjoying the great outdoors on occasion. If you hunt a metro unit (or ANY piece of public land....), then expect the same thing.... Then you won't be dissapointed! ;)

Sincere good luck in finding some solitude next time!!!

S.

:)