gotcoues

First Archery Coues

The last few years I've been getting very serious about trying to take my first coues with a bow. I logged 80 plus hours on stand last year for the early season hunt. I ended up passing on a few decent deer due to fact I was holding a Dec rifle tag. I also missed a good buck on the last day of Archery and fortunately redeemed myself with a great buck in Dec. This year, my season started out with HIGH HOPES due to the fact I was getting good bucks on my camera. But, like years past they only came in when I wasn't there. This season I tried a blind instead of a stand and it seemed to be a total failure with only three different does coming in during 5 days of sitting. I was heartbroken and knew I was missing a major piece of the puzzle. I have a pretty good idea from trial and error, lots of error why I have good success with pictures and no success with the bucks coming in. I'm already planning my assault for next year LOL. So anyway, let’s get to the juice. This weekend my son Dillon accompanied me in the blind Sat and Sun. Sat we sat all day only coming out of the blind to switch cards and go take lunch and quick nap about 400 yards from the blind. We only saw a few deer at a distance but were lucky enough to get a quick turkey show from the blind. Dillon was loving life during that one. Sunday the alarm went off at 2:30 and my little D and I got ready for battle. We hiked our hunting clothes in and changed before getting in the blind. We stashed clothes, lunch and anything we could do without in the blind about 300 yards from the blind in hopes of reducing scent. I had already decided if nothing came in by 10 am, we would take a walk and do some scouting even deeper into my area. I was quickly coming to the conclusion my set up was far less than perfect. At about 10 we bailed out and I was going to leave my bow in the blind, but Dillon insisted I take it in case "we ran into a buck". Well, as we all know, you don't run into a coues buck w bow in hand. Little did I know all my bad luck would quickly change and dumb luck would take over. We weren't 100 yards from the blind and I spotted two bucks coming right at us on the very same game trail we were on. I hit the dirt and realized Dillon hadn't seen the bucks yet. I pulled him down and told him to be quiet. My heart started pounding when I realized we hadn't been busted yet. The lead buck was bigger and his rack was skylined making him look big. In my delusions of grandeur I mistook him for a larger buck I had on my camera. When he got to about 20 yards I drew my bow, he instantly stopped and stared. In the worst case of buck fever I've ever had I accidently had my finger in front of the trigger on my release and somehow I launched the arrow premature before I was even on him. BING BANG CRASH arrow ping pongs through the forest and I instantly feel like the dumbest fool that ever set foot in the woods. To my surprise during my pity fest he only ran about 30 yards and stopped broadside at what I thought was about 40yards. It took a minute took to get my composure and I knocked another arrow. His head was behind a pine and his vitals exposed. I couldn't believe I was actually drawing my bow for a second try. The arrow flew and hit its mark, THWACK! He only went about 30yards and laid down, his buddy quickly joined him like nothing was wrong and bedded about 5 yards from my buck. D and I could barely see his rack in the grass and I told Dillon we needed to wait for him to expire. A few minutes go by and he gets up, moves about 5 yards and lies down again. I knew he was hurt bad, but now, was unsure of the hit. I decided to lose the boots and sneak in for a follow up shot. Within about 15 minutes I was less than 20 from the two bucks and only had a head shot which I decided not to take. Just as frustration was setting in, he stood and started walking quartering away. I drew and launched one and was very confident I had just sealed the deal. We booked it out of there to go get my buddy Tracy for help with the pack out (That's what friends are for right?). It took us over an hour to get to him and to my disbelief he also had shot a buck and was in his truck just getting ready to go look for him (WHOLE NOTHER STORY)!!!! We decided to go retrieve my buck first and I called my friend Harvey to help with the pack out of what I hoped would two coues bucks. Elevation changes are murder where we hunt and I knew we had a long day ahead. We got back to the spot where I last shot the buck and about 2 hours had gone by. To my surprise the buck only went about 30 yards and my quest of taking an archery coues buck had finally come to pass. Harvey showed up ready to work soon after we headed up the mountain. I'll let Tracy tell you how the next 4 hours went as we humped our tails outta there with my deer and then we were off to find his buck.

I'm so blessed to have gotten to experience this with my son Dillon and with some of the best friends I guy could have. Thanks gents!

post-754-1283229500.jpg

post-754-1283229607.jpg

post-754-1283229661.jpg

post-754-1283230053_thumb.png

That is a good looking deer! Congratulations!

Great job, and having your son along makes it that much better. I've been lucky enough to kill 2 deer with my kids along, its quite a feat since my kids are 5&6 right now but worth it all. That is a beaut of a buck too! Still can't believe you got 3 shots at the same buck! :blink:

Great story Justin and congrats again! What a roller coaster of a year it has been and it finally came together. Having Dillon there is what really puts it over the top. I'll get my story up soon.

-Tracy

Congrats on a First and Great buck. Priceless that were able to share that with your son. Huge Congrats! ;)

Congrats Justin! Thats awesome that D got to watch the whole thing! Can't wait for Tracy's story either... Next weekend will be another fun filled weekend, hopefully we will have another buck down in our circle :)

Thats just awesome congrats on your first coues with a bow. Love the story I'm sure "D" is hooked forever!