Sign in to follow this  
COUESAZ

You ultra mag shooters

OK my brother just got a brand new 300 ultra mag it has the fluted bull barel and a brake on it. Other than the normal answer of swarovski what other scope would you recomend for that size of gun. It will tear heck out of a bushnell I know but what about the buris and nikon scopes.

Any info would be a help.

i had a luepold 4/12 vx2 on the one i had.but i wish it would have been the 3.5/14 x 50 the brands you mention are also good,the old saying you get what you pay for hold true.

I use the zeiss davari 5-15x42 on my .300 weatherby and love it.puts em in there real tight. the clairity and brightness is great as well.

wade

Take a close look at the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44mm. Another good choice would be the Leupold VXIII 3.5-10 with the B&C reticle. I'd hesitate to say 4.5-14x, as you may catch an elk or deer up close, and 4.5x is really about 4.8x if you look at the Leupold specs. I have not found the 10x lacking for magnification.

RR

I have a Rem. 300 ultra also, and i put a 6.5x20 VX-III long range on it and I haven't had any problems w/ the scope, but make sure he gets the rings and bases thightened down REAL good!!

Nikon,

I have a Leup VXIII 3.5 -to X 50 on my .300 SAUM. My shooting partner has a comproable Nikon Monarch Gold Ring on his .300 SAUM. Nikon is every bit as good if not better. Wish I had gone that way. Lifetime warranty, etc, etc. Side by side they are both great, but his is better. Mine goes dark just just a bit sooner.

These have the same ED Glass that is in their high end ED Camera lenses. I know I'll get flamed, but side by side the Nikon glass has hit the theoretical limit of 95% light transmission. If anyone claims more, they have taken out lenses. But on an apples to apples comparison, you'll not do better.

Profesional photographers in the field trust Nikon glass to hold up, their glass is second to none and they make all of their own glass. My next one will be a Nikon.

They also seem to be pretty reasonably priced.

Or go to Sportsman's and put them side by side, dusk is one of the bset time to test them.

My $.02, less if you ask the wife.

Matt

I have been shooting a 300 ultra mag for 5 years now. The first scope i had on it was a nikon buckmaster and it held up great, never lost its zero. I then put a simmons Aetec on it and it has also held up fantastic. Takes the recoil very well. I shot my last elk at 522 yards with that setup.

This is great info to pass on to him. He had the high end busnell on his 30-06 and put it on this gun just to see what would take place. It takes him two shots to get it back on paper enough to say it is headed in the right direction and the next two shots are gone again.

We put it back on the 06 and zero it right up.

Kahles with TDS. I have one on my Kimber Mountain 300 WSM and love it. The other scope I would suggest is a Burris with Ballistic Plex crosshairs. I have one on my Win. 7MM Mag. These scopes make you more accurate at long ranges as long as you know the distance (the most important factor in long range shooting).

I havae the Nikon Monarch 5.5-16 on my 300mag, not an ultra mag but I think it would do the job well.