Sign in to follow this  
stanley

6A Archery Report

Well, I'm back for a couple of days of office/school/kid duty after spending 6 days up chasing bulls! ;)

As has been reported by several already, it was a bit tough. When we arrived last Weds, the bulls were bugling plenty at night, and continuing into the light of the morning. After opening morning however, they virtually shut-up! No surprise with the army of hunters wandering/calling! ;)

That being said, we did our best and ended-up getting into some bulls. I was able to pass shots on 4 smaller bulls before finally GROSSLY mis-judging the yardage on a 6x6 and missing him clean on Sunday evening!!!! I sat trails and water at various times, having success both ways. Did some tree-raking (sp) and had a bit of success with that too. Also was able to spot & stalk to within 30 yards of a little feeding bull on Saturday AM. Had a spike and a raggy 4x3 standing at about 5 yards on Sunday evening, and they never knew I was there! GOOD FUN!!!! ;)

I'll be back up either Thurs or Fri (depending on kids schedule....) for more hunting. I have a couple of friends from this site coming to help a bit (Amanda and Hector), so hopefully that will change my luck a bit!!! ;) Either way, I'm getting the most out of this hunt!!!

Good luck all!

S.

:)

Stan,

Here's to a great time this coming weekend!

Can't wait to be up in the mountains again.

Hopefully mr big shows up too!

I'm hoping for a little rutting activity.

All the reports I've heard are mixed depending on which part of the state they are coming from.

Good luck Stanley! It has been tough but I found some buglin bulls this morning all the way up to 9:30. Once we located we literally ran to them and got in the comfort zone. Little bit of locator bugles, minimal cow calls just to cover the noise we were makin and tree rakin seemed to work well. Headin back in now solo after droppin my dad off. There is still hope! I'll see what the rest of today turns up.

Stanley, man, it has been quiet in 6A-N. Actually had three different bulls bugling this morning past 0800, first time they have been vocal after sun-up. I'm working the west side of the unit south of Schnebly Hill turn-off, hitting about three different areas on rotation. Did see a bachelor herd of mulies, including two of the nicer bucks I've seen outside of Kiabab. GPS'ed that location for next August. Good luck this weekend.

Thanks for the update bomberodevil!! I wish I was up there right NOW!!! I'll be back tomorrow night though..... ;)

Hoping the bulls will 'wake-up' a bit soon!!

S.

Good luck Stan and hope the bull of your dreams steps out in front of you. :)

TJ

Stanley, just got back to the cabin. The bulls were screaming tonight! Had three spikes, two cows and a young 6x6 (under 320) come in to the tank tonight. Right at last light, a nice 7x7 hung up about 200 yards out. Tonight was the best hunt so far. Maybe they are getting warmed up for ya...

You're killing me Bomberodevil!!! Thanks for the info!!! I should be setting-up camp in 14 hours!!!!! ;)

Thanks TJ! I'll be towing the kids along this weekend, so hopefully they get a chance be in on some fun action!

S.

Hey Stan,

Great report. Now finish the "honeydo's" and get back after it! I'm confident you can close the deal. Best of luck to you.

Nick

Stanley, just got back to the cabin. The bulls were screaming tonight! Had three spikes, two cows and a young 6x6 (under 320) come in to the tank tonight. Right at last light, a nice 7x7 hung up about 200 yards out. Tonight was the best hunt so far. Maybe they are getting warmed up for ya...

I have a place in 6A-N as well, were abouts is yours??? I had the same tag last year and only had one shot.....