Sign in to follow this  
coueselk

World Record Elk

Ok, I received some photos via email today. Only description was "This is the 502 and 2/8 The bulls live weight was estimated at 1200 #lb"

Don't know who or where, but it is a whopper.

post-19-1128466834.jpg

Dude,

This is the kind of spam you get on e-mail? You don't who sent it? That thing is awesome! I would love to hear more about that elk.

Lee

Rumor I've heard is that it is from a high fence ranch in Idaho. 1200 lb live weight makes me think that they were giving it the same steroids as Barry Bonds.

Word is that the same guy killed this hog on the same high fence ranch

post-379-1128469867.jpg

Hard to tell in the pics if it is the same guy but he definitely looks pretty similar

Word is that the same guy killed this hog on the same high fence ranch

post-379-1128469867.jpg

Hard to tell in the pics if it is the same guy but he definitely looks pretty similar

Ok guys, The hunters name is Kevin Reid and he is a very wealthy builder/contractor in Alb, NM. Both bulls are the size claimed and YES, both were killed in Idaho behind high fences. They will not be worth much for pope and young, but SCI recognizes high fence trophies. This raises the old debate, what is the "Trophy" value of an animal killed behind high fences?? Where the only real factor is how much money do you have? Not necessarily stating my opinion, just raising questions.

Yea, I'm sure it's more satisfying doing all of the hard work yourself, instead of paying for the inches. But those are some superkingsize bulls, I would love just to see one like that.

Money or no money what is the point? yes, those are awsome bulls, but that is not hunting.

Guest Ernesto C

Biiiiiiiig bulls for sure!................High fence????..........Ethical?? Fair chase?

I think I will like to hear the the true story before making any judments.

Ernesto C

Responsible hunters show respect for wildlife

i think sci even recognizes reproduced racks too. they also recognize uso as the good guys and that pretty much says it all too me. those are nice bulls. huge bulls. but they're pen raised and atrificial. with all the misgivings i have with b&c and their rich boy country club attitude, they're way above sci in integrity. in other words they don't lie, cheat and steal as much as sci. to be an official sci scorer it takes a 1 hour class at an sci convention. whatever, big bulls, but they just as well be made outta plastic resin, because they're phony. Lark.

Yep it's a canned hunt on a Ranch. Awesome bulls but any rich guy could of harvested these bulls. Nothing special about these elk except they would make a heck of a mount. At least SCI is the only book that accepts high fenced fake elk.

Biiiiiiiig bulls for sure!................High fence????..........Ethical??? Fair chase?

I think I will like to hear the the true story before making any judments.

Ernesto C

Responsible hunters show respect for wildlife

Ernesto C, feel free to call him and ask the story. Kevin Reid @ Reid and Assoc. (505)891-2528. Then you can fill us all in on the killing of these two monsters. I have already heard enough. There is no doubt that Kevin is a fine bowhunter and has harvested a number of fine trophies under fair chase conditions. He holds a number of record book animals, that were taken under "respectable" conditions. I just dont (personally) feel these two bulls are included with those.

were do we stop (high fences) what is the difference going down to old mexico and hunt those ranches down there? texas all fenced at some point.it goes on and on.I guess a trophy is in the eye of the beholder :lol:

it shouldn't be about the "trophy". it oughta be about havin' a good time in the sticks with friends and family. if all a guy wants to do is put his tag on big stuff, without hunting, then get after them high fences. when i was kid i spent a lotta time horseback tryin' to catch wild cattle in some horrible country. they're harder to hunt than some pen raised elk with a pedigree and a tag in it's ear. raise an elk in a confined area and it's just a cow with antlers. personally, i like to hunt. me, my ol' rifle, maybe one o' my boys or my ol' man or a good friend and some rotten rough country where a good buck might be hidin'. as long as i get to track one down, jump him up and shoot him, i don't much care what his antlers look like. i won't go as far as condemn folks for high fencin', but i can't condone it. they ain't wild animals. Lark.

Its like the old saying "shooting fish in a barrel" a one armed blind monkey could hit one.Another saying i also like which aplies is "To each thier own". I perfer the chase the thrill and a full freezer.