Sign in to follow this  
sneekfreak

Unit 10 "backup buck"

My hunting partner and I had limited time to spend on our unit 10 antelope hunt, but were hoping to both harvest 80" goats. Opening morning we passed 2 good bucks that we felt were in the mid to high 70s. We glassed this tall buck up again that evening and dubbed him our "backup buck". After a rough couple days checking out other parts of the unit with some good friends who were scouting for elk also and enduring some ridiculous tire issues that cost us a day of hunting we decided to go back and shoot the backup buck. We found him that night and got set up for a shot, but does spooked as we were loosing light, so we decided to come back the next morning. As luck would have it, the buck was right where we left him. After a long hike/stalk, we were in range and my buddy was locked down with the claw. He took his time and shot at the buck broadside, but went just over his back. After giving chase for a couple miles we were unable to get another shot and reluctantly had to head home. Once home I shared the footage with some die-hard antelope hunting friends and they convinced me we had to give this buck one more try. So we left home the next morning at 2:30 am with my wifes blessing for a one day suicide trip. We located the buck relatively early and on my third stalk was finally able to get a shot off and put him down. He was definitely bigger than I had estimated! Special thanks to my friends, Ben, Tim, Josh and Shane. Without them it would not have happened.

post-4925-1287624348_thumb.jpg

post-4925-1287625640_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site Jed! And congrats on an awesome buck! It was a tough year for antelope in 10 but it paid off for you in a big way.

How did things turn out for Ben?

That is a fine pronghorn, really nice, congrats to you and you friends having the "sticktoitiveness" to pull off an 11th-hour kill!

Jim

Congratulations on a great goat. Way to stick with it. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ