Sign in to follow this  
Tines

Interesting buck

I've asked several experienced hunters their thoughts on this buck. Each of their thoughts differ for various reasons. Just thought I'd share with all of you and get yours. My buddy and I found this buck on our NM Coues deer hunt a few weeks ago. We were in what we would call "typical" Coues deer habitat/country. Although there were MD within a mile of this buck.

Without giving you much of my own opinions, I will say that this bucks mannerisms were all WT. As he turned to walk away, that's when we thought "huh????". His tail is a stub and about 1.5" long

I don't care either way. I'm a HUGE skeptic of anyone who "glassed up a hybrid". There's just too many things "wrong" with this buck to convince me either way, IMO.

One more question, how do you legally harvest an deer without a tail???

Have fun with them....

post-500-1288379025_thumb.jpg

post-500-1288379117_thumb.jpg

post-500-1288379149_thumb.jpg

post-500-1288379173_thumb.jpg

I have seen cous bucks without tails, looks like a coyote ripped em off when they were born? I have no idea how you can shoot a buck without a tail especially when the rack is a mix of MD and coues. We all have to remember that deer do have genes and like humans, sometimes genes are mixed up...like a person being born with stubby legs, a deer can be born with a stub tail.

As for this buck I did notice a white collar on this buck and white around the muzzle and on the second and third picture I can see a main beam in which the points do sprout off of. I'd guess it's a coues?? Overall I see more coues traits than MD traits.

How did you fare on that hunt?

I think you would put a coues tag on that deer you would be in serious trouble. The darker cape and ears are all muley. The white ring by the nose does look some like a whitetail. I'd say its just a young muley. I have seen lots of muleys with antlers like that.

I have seen cous bucks without tails, looks like a coyote ripped em off when they were born? I have no idea how you can shoot a buck without a tail especially when the rack is a mix of MD and coues. We all have to remember that deer do have genes and like humans, sometimes genes are mixed up...like a person being born with stubby legs, a deer can be born with a stub tail.

As for this buck I did notice a white collar on this buck and white around the muzzle and on the second and third picture I can see a main beam in which the points do sprout off of. I'd guess it's a coues?? Overall I see more coues traits than MD traits.

How did you fare on that hunt?

The hunt was a bust. In 4 days of hunting we glassed up 4 bucks. All small (including this one). We did glass up 3 bears though. Maybe we should have gone into Silver City and bought a bear tag. Overall, pretty disappointed in what NM calls their "premium" Coues deer hunt. As far as I'm concerned, I can find MUCH more and bigger deer in a leftover unit in AZ. We ran into a few hunters who were successful in the unit but nothing much bigger than what we passed. Like anywhere, there's probably some monsters in there but the New Mexicans can have the Burro Mountains......

100% carp

sorry

In the last pic the white rump is a round shape. In my experience this is a MD trait. Coues usually have a more rectangular shaped white patch. (generally covered by the tail) I would say MD from the pics alone.

I think you would put a coues tag on that deer you would be in serious trouble. The darker cape and ears are all muley. The white ring by the nose does look some like a whitetail. I'd say its just a young muley. I have seen lots of muleys with antlers like that.

Neither one of us thought twice about shooting the buck. And it had nothing to do with whether it was a young MD or not, just too small.

As for antler configuration, my buddy and I didn't pay much attention to what they "looked" like, other than it was small. Our impressions were made off of the boney structure of it's face, size of ears, white ring around the nose, small throat patch, white rump and tiny tail. More than anything, we were amazed at the way this buck moved through the trees while watching us. Looked NOTHING like a MD. His mannerisms and movements were all WT to us.

Either way, other than an any antlered tag, legally, how can you shoot this buck?

Thanks for your reply's, guys

100 carp

sorry

haha! Why are people sorry???

100 carp

sorry

haha! Why are people sorry???

SORRY BUD :P

I would not like to hang a WT tag on it.

As you said it is interesting.

in the second pic looks like his antlers grown straight up. he does have a dark spot on his forehead. does have a white stripe on his neck but maybe grow into fully grayed out spot around the muzzle and neck.

i say mulie