Sign in to follow this  
azhunter85

Britts 1st muley!

My girlfriend Brittany drew a good bull tag and a muley tag this year, and had her jacked all year long as she prepared. We bought her a remington 308 and set it up with a vortex 3.5-10 x 50 scope, with bipod. She practiced all summer long shooting and waiting for the fun to start. The time could not come fast enough for her! As we prepared for what we thought would be an interesting hunt, we had confusion thinking her deer hunt and elk hunt started on the same day. I dont know how we did this but we did, three weeks before her elk hunt, and one week before i headed south for my whitetail hunt we found out we had messed up. Her deer hunt started the same day as my whitetail but went for one week longer then my whitetail. Now the pressure was on. So I took off for my whitetail hunt with my father and was preparing to be gone for the whole hunt. Then I would come back on the last day to get Brit and take her out for the last four days of her deer hunt. Well we got our whitetails on saturday and mine on sunday, post that story on another section later today. so with two days before she could get off work me and my father hit the woods in a higher elevation and a different species in mind. We located an area on Tuesday that seem to hold alot of deer, more then we were used to for muleys. As the sun dropped we glassed a big ol bear feeding on some pears, now with the new distraction (bear season is still open in this area) we couldnt make our mind up on to have her chase the bear or chase deer, not a bad problem to have! Wednesday we took to sleep in and prepare for her first day of her hunt.

Opening day turned up no bear, but we saw fifteen bucks with the bigger ones out of our range with not enough time to reach them. For her first deer tag she wanted a nice buck and didnt mind holding out. She had an opportunity at a 3x3 but elected to pass and felt she ws not comfortable with that shot, so we let the buck move on. Late Thursday evening I spotted two really nice bucks on a flat below us, but like all the other big ones they were outta reach and we were outta time. With the first day over her confidence was down, she thought she had made a mistake passing that deer and was worried it would haunt her. Day two Brittany, my father, my cousin, and my self all made the long long drive into our area. My father went to his knob to glass as the rest of us headed down a ridge to get above the bucks from the evening before. We walked into the area in the dark, and set up and awaited the sun to come up. Thirty minutes into glassing a look back across to see if i could come up with the big bear and not more then 100 yards from where he was I glass horns! I get everyones attention and out steps a great looking 3x4, still trying to finish the velvet off his antlers. We make a quick game plan, and we are off! Me and Brittany take about and hour and half to get across and up the canyon the buck is now laying. My heart knew we were getting close because it started pounding harder and harder as we neared the rock we would try and shoot from. We get out on the rock and all we can see is brush below us but we now the buck is close. Now here we are sitting trying to figure our next move, do we throw a rock and get him to stand or do we wait him out. I sat behind Britt patiently glassing for any sign of an ear or antler tip, nothing! As I wanted her to get the best opportunity at this buck the stress levels began to rise fast. Twenty long minutes later we are sitting there and im going over scenarios with her incase he is to run or do something un expected. As we are talking i look down and there he stands, 100 yards and is looking up hill with just his neck and head showing. I point the buck out and Britt gets on him instantly and says are you ready! I tell her YES!! :) and to hold on his neck and squeeze, BOOM! That buck never stepped or moved, she put him straight back in his bed and we almost jumped off the rock cliff in excitment!! The out come exceeded what she wanted, she wanted to get her first deer but wanted to make it a fun hunt with a good buck. She got everything she asked for and for all of us to be there and enjoy her first buck was an awesome experience that we wont forget.

To make the hunt a little more interesting and almost alot harder, after the shot and about thirty minutes passing. We get done to the buck and start enjoying what just happened when I look down the canyon only to see that big bear moving down the canyon fairly fast. I grab Britts rifle and take a rest, he was at four hundred yards but with me trying to stop him he would never stop to give a shot. So we let him go another day but we will be out soon looking for him. This hunt turned out to be a great success and to make it better her bull hunt starts this friday and we will be back at it in the woods for her first elk, bull elk!! Enjoy!

brits2010muleyhunt010.jpg

Brittany

brits2010muleyhunt028.jpg

brits2010muleyhunt014.jpg

brits2010muleyhunt035.jpg

Britt and me

brits2010muleyhunt050.jpg

My father, Britt and my cousin

Hopefully her elk hunt will be next! wish her luck

Congrats on a great looking buck. I think she will be hooked for life now.

-Ryan