Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

How do you get the deer blood smell out of your backpack?

I've been unable to get the smell of deer blood out of my backpack. I've soaked it and scrubbed it in soap and water but even after doing that twice it still smells of blood. The deer I packed out was in doubled up game bags but some blood soaked through and got into my pack. After washing twice there are no blood stains but the smell is still there.

Thanks.

It'll go away eventually. That's how I get it to go away

try washing with scent remover soap, the kind you can shower in to remove human odor

or use a product called Nature's Miracle...it's for removing pet odors and it works GREAT on removing skunk odor, so it should work for blood too. Can get it at pet stores. Or search online for it.

For skunk odor on dogs, I use the hydrogen peroxide/soap/baking soda mix. It might work on your pack. Or maybe the "miracle?" skunk odor spray from petsmart. Test to see if the hydrogen peroxide does not bleach the pack color though.

Try trash compactor bags for the pack out to prevent blood seepage onto gear.

Or just save the pack for when you next hunt bears and varmints ;)

Or just save the pack for when you next hunt bears and varmints ;)

I thought baiting bears in AZ was illegal? :P

A. Post up the pictures of your hunt and story. THAT is the first step.

B. Dont let the dogs near it, or you DEFINATELY wont have that problem... Ask me how I know....

C. Like Tines said, it will go away eventually.

A. Post up the pictures of your hunt and story. THAT is the first step.

B. Dont let the dogs near it, or you DEFINATELY wont have that problem... Ask me how I know....

C. Like Tines said, it will go away eventually.

A. Working on the story and have to work on the pictures a little as an unfortunate sack is in every picture I have.

B. No worries there - it's hanging in the garage well above the dogs reach.

C. I've tried laundry soap and a general purpose soap with no luck. I will give Amanda's suggestion a try and if that doesn't work I will have to wait for it to go away.

My now ex wife's cat loved to urinate on my backpacsk when he got into the garage. To this day, I still have no idea why, but whenever he got in there, he went right to them and did his business. After the second time, I had to start putting all my hunting gear inside cabinets, but occasionally I would get busy and forget to put all my stuff away in between hunts. To get the smell out, I usually had to wash it with scent killer detergent a few times and let it air dry each time. Then I also had to store it outside for up to a week each time. Eventually the smell would just go away.

Natures miracle is great stuff. Any pet stain or blood smell. I cover up the deer smell with elk. Then after elk I cover it up with deer. :lol: most of the time leaving it empty in the garage empty for a few weeks gets rid of most of it.