Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Staying Warm

Hunted from a blind for the first time ever this past deer hunt. Made alot of mistakes. We got real wet hiking in to our spot we wanted to sit, froze our backsides off sitting.

Next day, packed dry clothes in with us and did much better but!!!!

Any recommendations on layers or coats and pants, socks, boots that can keep a body warm???

You guys must just be tougher than I am cause I froze!!!!!

Wear a warm beanie. LOTS of heat escapes through your head.

Throw hand warmers in your boots and gloves. You can be cold and be ok, but once you start feeling it in your feet and hands the day is pretty much gone.

Outer layer gortex keeps all the under layers dry and also gortex boots, wool is always good too

Wick away under-garments and since you are hiking in go light on the outer-garments too and just stuff a goosedown vest, beanie and gloves in your gear for putting on once you are in your blind. Cold at first but if you have a ways to go you will not be cold for long and you will appreciate your vest beanie and gloves that much more. No sweat, no scent carried into your blind with you either! Good luck and God Bless these United States of America!

Pack in a pair of insulated coveralls and put them on when you are in a spot you will stay a while. I haul mine on lake elk hunts and Dec tags. A good beanie, I like the fleece under armour ones, good wool mits/gloves, and good socks will go a long ways keeping oh warm. Outdoormans guide has insulated coveralls on sale pretty often.

No cotton.

Put on some dry socks when you arrive. Smartwool is good stuff. Loosen the laces on your boots also after putting on dry socks.

Wear a warm beanie. LOTS of heat escapes through your head.

Throw hand warmers in your boots and gloves. You can be cold and be ok, but once you start feeling it in your feet and hands the day is pretty much gone.

I can testify to being done.......and I didn't have any updated hand warmers, the ones in my pack were 17 years old and didn't work....duh..........

Sounds like some good starter information, thanks guys.....

Where I hunt in Maine its -10 to 20 degrees in the morning and the last thing you want to do is sweat on your way to where you are sitting, we walk very slowly. I carry a back pack with my heavy clothes in it and go as cold as I can stand it on the way in. Usually your excited so its not too hard to ignore the cold when you are walking in but that wares off when you are sitting still and the wind kicks up. I'm dressing light and packing heaver clothes with me up in 6a on Friday...Can't WAIT I'm excited as Heck to get out and HUNT Finally!!!! Here couesy couesy Oh yeah Feet, Hands and Head. Beanie was already mentioned and they are great for siting!!

Hunted from a blind for the first time ever this past deer hunt. Made alot of mistakes. We got real wet hiking in to our spot we wanted to sit, froze our backsides off sitting.

Next day, packed dry clothes in with us and did much better but!!!!

Any recommendations on layers or coats and pants, socks, boots that can keep a body warm???

You guys must just be tougher than I am cause I froze!!!!!

I just try and keep the truck running and the windows up!

Heading to a blind already gives you a lot of advantages. One thing you can do is leave a wool blanket inside the blind so once you settle in, you can wrap up and wait. You can leave as much warm clothing in there as you want, and maybe carry a thermos with hot coffee or tea. Nothing warms you up faster than warming up from the inside out.

I'd also second what a lot of people here have already said, basically strip down to as little as possible before you start your hike in, then change into your warm stuff when you get there.

Years ago, when I was still able to draw December tags, I had a nice spot I liked to sit all day, but it was a long hike in. I didn't have a blind up there, but I did carry a dry bag up there before the hunt that I could keep some insulated coveralls and a good parka in. I'd start my hike an hour and a half before daylight wearing just my thermal underwear. Keep in mind, it was usually in the teens, maybe single digits, temperature wise, and when the hike started it was a little chilly. By the time I got 1/4 mile in, I was pretty comfortable, and sometimes even shed my thermal top and hat before reaching my spot. Once I got there, I would just sit and look at the stars for a while, let any sweat evaporate, then slowly start layering up. The coldest hour of the day seemed to be right at sunup, but because I had plenty of warm outer layers to put on once I had gotten there, and didn't get too sweaty going in, it was not bad.

Another thing I'd look at is a goose down parka, or at least vest. Many of them compress small enough to fit in their own pocket, but once they breathe and loft out, they are very warm and will help keep your core warm.

Blinds or any ground-level area are pretty easy to stay warm in, IMO. That is, if you have them prepped and don't sweat too much getting in. Treestands are a different story. I've never found a way to stay warm up in a tree when it's cold out. Had a 30 yard shot at buck a few years ago in a treestand in January, and I literally could not pull my bow back - my muscles were just too cold, and I had on as many layers as I could wear and still move - lol. The buck just sat there looking at me as I contorted my body trying to get to full draw, but I just couldn't do it. I think that was the last time I ever sat a treestand.

bring a good insulated thermos with boiled water.

If you are concerned about scent control be careful of the contents - tea is a good choice. But what better way to raise your core body temp by ingesting hot/warm liquid that your bod disburses.

That trick has helped in some wicked-cold treestands

In addition to all the layering advice offered, here is another item that really helps keep me warm. I have the wind-proof version and a camo version that isn't wind proof. For purely keeping warm, the wind-proof one is best. I use it if I am sitting glassing somewhere in the wind. It covers your head, neck and face. VERY WARM! I use a smaller different kind of beanie if it's not harshly cold, but when it's really cold and/or windy, the headsokz is perfect!!!

http://www.buyhappyfeet.com/Headsokz