Santana Outdoors

Best Offroad/ Hyway tires for Coues Country

OK, I am looking at replacing the Big-O tires on my H2. At first I thought they were great, they rode very nice but are too soft to handle Coues Whitetail Country! Flats and lugs missing are not good when you are out 25 -30 miles from no where. I don't like changing tires at all.

70% of my miles are hyway, its the 30% off road I destroy tires.

Had good luck with the BF Goodrich AT but I'm looking for something with

better sidewalls

But not noisy on the hyway

probably needs to have some kind of side lugs to handle the rocks.

Tuff enough for the desert

but not too rigid

Got any ideas?

What are you using?

Thanks, Eric

I've been impressed with Yokohama Geolanders on my bigger trucks. Was gonna put a set on my Tacoma this year, but needed to save a few bucks, so put on some Big O - so far they've been good, but they're still new.

I've heard really good things about the Toyo Open Country MT, but they were a little pricey as well. One of the local cell phone carriers started putting them on their light trucks that were spending a lot of time offroad, and they've been happy with them.

I run 31" tires, and have nothing but good things to say about BFG All Terrain T/As. They have a three ply kevlar sidewall. Sometimes I will even air them down to about 11 psi for the backcountry, and the sidewalls take a beating. No noise on highway and excellent wear.

I'd like to try the General Grabber ATs, though. I've heard good things about them too.

Just like optics, and everything else hunting, you get what you pay for. IMHO.

I've heard really good things about the Toyo Open Country MT, but they were a little pricey as well. One of the local cell phone carriers started putting them on their light trucks that were spending a lot of time offroad, and they've been happy with them.

I've been running these for a year now. I realy like them. Mine are 315/75r16.

Bridgestone Dueller Revo tires are great for rocky terrain. I have a 1500 dodge 4 door. Got 45k on them

I don't know if they made different runs of these tires or what, but I've either heard really good or really bad about them. I, unfortunately, ended up with bad ones! I've got barely 10k on them and they are trashed, the lugs just shred on any rocks, and they look weather checked already, I've only had them since July!!! Anyhow I would NEVER EVER buy another set of Duellers, at $230 a crack for standard sized 17" I hoped for a little more out of them, they are gonna barely make it through this season, and will for sure need to be replaced by before next fall. Not impressed.

My choice would be the BFG MT T/A KM 2 awesome tire for the money spent. If not these tires I would go with BFG Krawler T/A KX but they won't wear as good on the road.

Here is a poll from the Virtule Jeep Club on tires. http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread....highlight=tires

Here is another thread about rims. Steel vs Alum. http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread....highlight=tires

I hope this helps you some.

I have had very good luck with the Nitto Terra Graplers on my truck. I drive a 07 Dodge w/Cummins so they are load range "E" with the thick sidewall and are I think like 34.9" tall from the factory. I have done very well with them going through some semi nasty roads this past weekend on my brothers hunt and never spun a tire.

I have had very good luck with the Nitto Terra Graplers on my truck. I drive a 07 Dodge w/Cummins so they are load range "E" with the thick sidewall and are I think like 34.9" tall from the factory. I have done very well with them going through some semi nasty roads this past weekend on my brothers hunt and never spun a tire.

+1 on the Nitto Terra Graplers! I have been very impressed with mine on my Tacoma. They have taken a good beating and held up exceptionally well!

My choice would be the BFG MT T/A KM 2 awesome tire for the money spent. If not these tires I would go with BFG Krawler T/A KX but they won't wear as good on the road.

Here is a poll from the Virtule Jeep Club on tires. http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread....highlight=tires

Here is another thread about rims. Steel vs Alum. http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread....highlight=tires

I hope this helps you some.

X2 on the KM2. Best gripping tire I've owned. Loose rock, gravel, uphill river rock, they do phenominal. I had practically no tire slip even on these surfaces. The BFG AT tires would slip even with a little torque under those conditions.

"Rut" from here on the forum turned me onto them and I've been very happy. Good wear so far too, although my truck is lighter than most. I have load range E.

post-67-1289325082_thumb.jpg

Yokohama Geolanders AT's just put a set on my Expedition. On the road they are quiet and off-road handling is great. I drive 40 miles on the dirt roads every day to and from the house.