matthewp45

The Friendliest Doe!

Took the kids out to the desert and ran across this doe in a wash out in the middle of no where. I got the kids out to show them the deer and it starts wlaking toward us. It walks all the way up to me and I had the kids get behind me just in case it was agressive. It walked up and started licking my hand. I let the kids pet it and play around with it. It had no fear what so ever. My daughter became best friends with it in a second. My cousins boyfriend that was with us was eating some peanuts and tried to give some to the deer and it would not eat it. It was just browsing on some desert vegetation while it was hanging out with us. After about 10 minutes of playing with it and petting it the doe decided it had enough and just turned around and walked off. We were out in the middle of no where. The deer was perfectly healthy and eating desert vegetation and would not eat human food. I don't know if it had been raised and turned loose or it just lacked the part of the brain that shows fear. It was a great experience for my kids. Anyone else have this happen ever.

2010-11-13_17-10-18_339.jpg

2010-11-13_17-11-51_177.jpg

2010-11-13_17-04-10_613.jpg

2010-11-13_17-04-15_627.jpg

she was a scout collecting intelligence for her boyfriend in the bushes.........good thing she didn't pee in your coffee pot.....

your daughter has an experience she will remember forever.

She was distracting you guys while the boyfriend peed in the coffee. I have seen them friendly up on the north rim of the Grand Canyon at the visitors center before but nothing like that. Pretty cool.

WOW how cool is that its not everyday a doe will walk up to you and let you pet them actually this is unherd of what an experiance for you and your daughter I'm jealous too :P

Wow!! That is awesome!! Maybe the doe could read and saw the CouesWhitetail.com tshirt and figured you guys were safe! LOL! I haven't seen anything like it except at a place like the grand canyon where the deer get fed.

I was not going to let them feed her but my cousins boyfriend tried and it would not eat anything but natural vegetation. I guess someone had to have raised it and let it go or brain damage. Once I figured out it wasn't sick or wasn't going to hurt the kids I figured why not let the kids make a memory they will never forget. I guarantee I will never forget it. It was kind of humbling that the big bad hunter was being turned into a little girl by the cute little nice deer. None the less it was still a cool experience to have with my kids.

While glassing for my uncle i had a 163 inch mullie come up the hill to me. I was thinking he hadnt seen me till he comes up and starts nunding my hand and licks my face. when i went to block his horns witch kept knocking me in the head he jumped a little then bedded down about ten yards to my right. with such a close veiwing of his rack i knew he was a shooter for my uncle and was thiinking something had to be wrong with him he became a dead deer if he would remain there. so i got up to get my uncle who was one ridge over the buck gets up and follows me about 5 yards behind he would walk when i did and when i stopped he would stop and graze. he finally stopped and by then i was feeling kinda bad about wanting my uncle to shoot him. but i got to my uncle and explained wat happened. we talked about it for a little and decided we should shoot him with it bein the biggest deer we had seen in the unit . we went back and he was right where i had left him and my uncle knocked him down one shoot at 100 yards. when we reported him to g&f they asked if they could have his brain to examin and my uncle not caring about being in any "book" agreed as long as they informed him of wat they find. well two weeks after droping the head off at UofA we get a call informing us that the buck had dead spots in his brain so they believed that it was the cause of his actions.

Ether way it was a really cool expirence and will never forget it

for those who would like to know it happend in 34b just north of the empire ranch main house

While glassing for my uncle i had a 163 inch mullie come up the hill to me. I was thinking he hadnt seen me till he comes up and starts nunding my hand and licks my face. when i went to block his horns witch kept knocking me in the head he jumped a little then bedded down about ten yards to my right. with such a close veiwing of his rack i knew he was a shooter for my uncle and was thiinking something had to be wrong with him he became a dead deer if he would remain there. so i got up to get my uncle who was one ridge over the buck gets up and follows me about 5 yards behind he would walk when i did and when i stopped he would stop and graze. he finally stopped and by then i was feeling kinda bad about wanting my uncle to shoot him. but i got to my uncle and explained wat happened. we talked about it for a little and decided we should shoot him with it bein the biggest deer we had seen in the unit . we went back and he was right where i had left him and my uncle knocked him down one shoot at 100 yards. when we reported him to g&f they asked if they could have his brain to examin and my uncle not caring about being in any "book" agreed as long as they informed him of wat they find. well two weeks after droping the head off at UofA we get a call informing us that the buck had dead spots in his brain so they believed that it was the cause of his actions.

for those who would like to know it happend in 34b just north of the empire ranch main house

That would be a tough situation for me! An awesome deer and an awesome experience but I guess I would have felt a little guilt every time I looked at the mount.

There is a mule deer doe in Unit 29 at the Southwest Research Station that is the same way. Found out they found the fawn by herself and continued to raise her. She would follow you around like a little puppy dog. Her name was Molly.

Brian

That would be a tough situation for me! An awesome deer and an awesome experience but I guess I would have felt a little guilt every time I looked at the mount.

it was a tough call but we didnt want it to "infect" any other deer if it had something and we dont have to worry about looking at it it was donated to my cuzzins ffa to raffle off at a dinner.

cool stuff

its humbling when somthing like that happens

I had the same thing happen to me while scouting 24b a while back, it was a coues doe and she just let me walk right up to her. I never tried to touch her but she would walk right next to me feeding till i eventually left. if i hid behind a bush she would poke her head around to find me, it was pretty cool.

also had a similar experience with two big bobcats on the pond right off orme road. It was night and i was just checkin it out and they would take turns runnin up to my feet and then running back 10 yards and sit staring at me, this lasted about 20 minutes till they just walked into the thick stuff.

Oh my gosh! I almost can't believe that.