COOSEFAN

Loc Jaw and Rifle Railz

You guys are killin' me when you use the word click. If your going to take a 700 yard shot with a 6.5x284 and you drop is 100 inches and your using a 1/4 MOA scope are you really going to count 57 clicks? Good luck, especially when you got a 110" buck in the cross hairs. I'd just dial 14.5 MOA and send it, or do as you mention Jim and put 700 yards on a piece of tape. I put an explanation of MOA that I created below. Hope it helps someone out.

I'm admittedly bad with the correct terms and even the math behind it all. I'm VERY fortunate to have the friends I have, they have funded and supported my interest in long range shooting and even tho they've been trying for years, I still have tons of learning to do from them!

My specialty is only for making things dead, for myself and for others. I've had to rely on MUCH smarter folks than I to help me build, understand and use the tools I have ;)

I'd say you've perfected your specialty of makin' things dead!!! By putting this information out I'm not saying I'm smart and you or anyone else it dumb. 6 years ago when I got into long range shooting I wish there was a better explanation of MOA......once I figured it out I made this because I felt like I was having to explain it over and over again.

The most important thing in this thread is the fact that David has created and AWESOME product that is going to be a HUGE benefit to long range shooters and tremendously help with long range accuracy!!!!

Im not sure how many of you guys have tried, "The Gun Claw" out but to me this just looks like someone trying out the same idea. I havent used the loc jaw and probably wouldnt because I have the Gun Claw attatched to my gun at all times and it has performed 100 percent everytime. Tried and Trued, The Gun Claw. My 2 cents. Thanks for the video I enjoyed watching it.

I just added another short video clip of an amazing 665 yard shot made off the Loc Jaw/Rifle Railz setup. It's at the bottom of the first post below the first video. Thanks, JIM>

Hey Stanley, I have not used the Claw. I love what it can do for you which is the same as the Loc Jaw but there are things about it that I'm uncomfortable with and in the past I've opted to just use my shooting forks instead. My guns are very touchy as to where and what you rest the gun on. All contact points on my stock have to be exactly the same as how I sighted it in. If I rest the gun on shooting forks and position the fork back by the action it will shoot differently then if the forks were out by the swivel stud. It even makes a difference how my shoulder is angled against the butt of the gun and is a big reason why my POI is different whether I'm laying prone or sitting. This is all just a few things that come into play with long range shooting and usually not very noticeable at medium to short ranges. This is also why I really like the Loc Jaw, it's hard mounted and the contact points are exactly the same everytime and there is no added pressure to the stock, it's merely resting in the exact spot every time!

Dan, Both my stocks are McMillan stocks and have slightly different tapers or shape on the underside as opposed to a factory stock. In mounting the adaptors we had to add washers to the action screw and utilize the pivoting function of the Rifle Railz. Because the back end of the Rifle Railz ability to pivot it compensated for the custom shape of my stocks and worked very well. In each package there are wrenches and new bolts included and all you'll need to have is a torque wrench to set the torque on your action screws. David will have a video on how to do this yourself on Youtube but it's very simple.

Thanks for the info Jim. As usual, comprehensive and thoughtful! ;)

I bought The Claw a couple of seasons ago now, and suppose I really have not put it to it's true use. Really, we just used it as a glorified tripod mount on my son's last hunt, as opposed to truly 'locking it in' and supporting the butt with sticks, etc... I generally shoot bolt action rifles, but have a 7.MM BAR that we use on occasion, and I had considered the 'clamp' effect and positioning on the action of that rifle for sure! ;)

I too, have become VERY accustomed to shooting sticks. I carry them on every hunt, and definitely use them with/for my kids. As demonstrated by my little Greta last month, they are invaluable for a 'small' shooter who doesn't necessarily have the arm strength to support a heavy gun on their knee, much less make a shot! I personally, always try to shoot off the sticks, as it gives me a rest that makes me feel comfortable/confident.

Thanks a bunch for the thoughtful write-up and information!

S.

:)

I absolutely love those long shots. That deer nor the ones around him had any idea where that shot came from.

Awesome!!!!

Jimmy, Thank you for a great write up on Rifle Railz/LOC JAW shooting system. You did a great fine job in showing its uses and how well it works, even for beginners. The videos are absolutely incredible and they make you feel like you were the one behind the rifle.

I will be making some videos shortly that will explain in detail just how easy it is to mount the system onto your rifle, as well as some long range metal target shots. If anybody has any additional questions about the system, feel free to ask. I hope to have a website up soon that should cover most questions, but until it is finished, I will answer them here.

Amanda already carries the LOC JAW, and will be adding the Rifle Railz to the site soon. We sold the first run of Rifle Railz so quickly that I wasn't ready for the flood of customers wanting to purchase more. We should have some more available within the next couple weeks and Amanda will be the first to get her order. If you would like to purchase one right now, The Outdoorsmans, a sponsor here, is carrying them at there store. Thank you for the interest in the Rifle Railz/LOC JAW shooting system. David

Hey Jim, Good idea with the clear tape. I'm in Yuma and it's kind of hot here in the summer, when I used the white electrical tape it would stretch after it sat a while in the heat. I like the white with a black marker, I can see it in the field without my glasses. I'm over half a century old, don't ya know! I also use the Exbal program with a handheld personal computer, fun tool when you are thinking about changing bullets and velocity.

To Couses7, anytime we shoot at something over 300 yards you usually have time to take a moment to get set up, and even if you don't have much time it seems like with some practice you can get dialed in pretty darn quick. I did'nt know I was so long winded,,, Shayne

Is the LOC JAW that works with the pictanny rail that Amanda sells, the same one to use with your Rifle Railz system or is it a different setup?

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/loc_jaw.htm

It is the same one. The LOC JAW was first made to work on the AR's with the 1913 Picatinny rail, and then we built our own rail system for the bolt action rifles to allow the LOC JAW to slide onto it. David

Great write up Jimbo! Everyone should take note about what jim said about sitting in his living room practicing setting up to get faster. I,ve tried his set up and can tell you it is rock solid and can't think of anything better but it does take practice to get efficient with it. Every aspect of long range shooting has to be taken seriously and practiced to find what works best for you. I think if you are serious about shooting this system is something you should try out and if you spend some time getting efficient with it like Jim has you'll be better prepared for your next hunt!

Jim, Could you post a picture of your rig with just the rifle attachment on? I have friends who have done something similar to this for years; they epoxied a tripod bracket like you would attach to your scope, bino's, etc to the stock of their rifle. Then attached it like you would anything else to the tripod. I just hated having something attached to the fore end of the stock as i usually carry my rifle in one hand when walking. This seems lower profile, but longer also. I just worry about it being a nuisance.

Jim, Could you post a picture of your rig with just the rifle attachment on? I have friends who have done something similar to this for years; they epoxied a tripod bracket like you would attach to your scope, bino's, etc to the stock of their rifle. Then attached it like you would anything else to the tripod. I just hated having something attached to the fore end of the stock as i usually carry my rifle in one hand when walking. This seems lower profile, but longer also. I just worry about it being a nuisance.

I don't have a pic of just the rifle with the adaptor attached but I'll try to get one and post it up. The attachment fits very well with the gun and is low profile. I had to put a finishing shot into my deer this year very fast offhand and at close range and having the adaptor attached didn't bother me or affect getting the shot off at all.

Shorty is right, I practice in my living room setting up my gun and chopsticks becuase I'm a nut! I want to be as fast as I can at setting the gun up and getting a solid hold on the target with the chopsticks. I witness the scenarios every year with friends and clients where the time it takes to acquire your target in the scope with a solid rest can be the main factor in whether you are successful or not. The faster you can set up and be solid on your target the better your chances are of being successful on any hunt. I love when you can take your time but if your buck of a lifetime is walking over the last ridge with little light left you'll be glad you practiced! This is just my $.02, it works for me, take it for what it's worth. JIM>