cramerhunts

Made the Best Out of A...

Well I am finally getting around to posting up a story of our early Nov. hunt. All in all it was a great hunt as it always is when you're with family and freinds but it seemed to be quite tough this year. We were seeing very limited deer movement even though the temps were very comfortable. With no real target bucks on the trail cameras we were going in with open minds and basically hunting for a buck to pursue. After the opening day and weekend we had seen one potential buck that was high tailing it out of the country after it was jumped by some other hunters. RUT (Jim Parker) and I spent the next couple of days pounding the canyons and ridges where the buck went but to no avail. I took a break from looking for the buck and spent a day with SOIHUNT (Stacy) and it turned out to be the very same day that he took his big ole' two point.

StacysBuck.jpg

RUT had spent the entire day perched up on a butte still looking for the good buck and again with no luck. That night at camp I told every one that I was ready to eat my words of not going after the 3x4 that I had on trail camera and give him a look the next day. I really did not want to take this buck as he had the potential to be a great buck in a few years but with time running down and with me loving to eat coues deer almost as much as I love to hunt them I couldn't pass him up.

Here are a couple of the last trail camera pictures that I got of him.

3x4Oct.jpg

3x4Oct2.jpg

RUT and I took off early that morning and got into position overlooking the area where this buck had been calling home, it was really windy and cold and all of the deer seemed to be holed up tight. I finally spotted the buck and he quickly bedded down. After getting RUT into position to keep and eye on the buck I packed up all of my gear and made the short stock to close the gap.

Here is my set up.

TheclawSetup.jpg

Here is the view right before I took the shot.

GettingReadyToShoot.jpg

RUT was able to catch the shot on video which is towards the end of this short clip, there is also a pretty good little clip of a lion that RUT glassed up as well.

And here he is, not too bad for a buck that I told everyone that I wasn't going to shoot!

MyBuck3.jpg

Philsbuck2.jpg

It made for a long pack out that day but it was well worth it.

Packingout1.jpg

Nice job Phil!

How about some rifle/bullet/shot info? distance? caliber? bullet?

You sure thumped that buck, its hard to tell... was he bedded or feeding?

Nice job Phil!

How about some rifle/bullet/shot info? distance? caliber? bullet?

You sure thumped that buck, its hard to tell... was he bedded or feeding?

Thanks Casey.

The gun is a Rem Model 7 300 SAUM that Charley Cano built for me topped with a Vortex Viper 6.5x20x50 with Vortex Ballistic Turret. I'm shooting Rem Core-Lock Ultra's in 150 grain flying @ 3225 fps. The shot was only 231 yards but the bullet performed perfect and was just under the skin on the opposite shoulder. The buck was bedded and never even got up.

Hey buddy nice write up and clip! Sure was fun this year and the food was the best with your dads cookin :D doesn't get any better than that!!! Great shot on the buck seems that the scope and gun are a great match. Let me know when the candles get in? Also thinking of buying a chrono just seems that would be a great thing to have with the reloading I got to do now..

Awesome all the way around, the video, the shot, the story and the buck! Thanks for taking the time to put it together for us and congrats!!! JIM>

Hey Phil, not sure you fully understand what a tough hunt is if you only had to settle for such a gorgeous buck! HA HA Just messin with ya but seriously thats a great buck, congrats! Enjoyed the write-up and video!

Hey Phil, nice buck. How's that Vortex turret working for you? Is that the one that you got for free?

Nice buck Phil- Looks like AWESOME country from the pics and I bet you covered some elevation taking that buck off the hill.

Thanks for sharing!

It was the CWT shirt that did it !!

AzP&Y

Doug

Way to go Phil and Jim!!! Looks like your persistance has once again paid off. Congrats on a great hunt and a nice buck.

Nice buck Phil. How old do you think he was? Looks pretty mature and well fed to me.

I would put him in the 3-4 yr range judging from his teeth and slender "baby face". He was in great shape and really fat.

Hey Phil, nice buck. How's that Vortex turret working for you? Is that the one that you got for free?

The turret is working great and I love it, it only took me a short time to get it dialed in and right on the money out to 600 yds so far. It sure is the free turret which by the way I thank you for since you posted the link for us.

Nice buck Phil- Looks like AWESOME country from the pics and I bet you covered some elevation taking that buck off the hill.

Thanks for sharing!

It was the CWT shirt that did it !!

AzP&Y

Doug

It had to be the shirt Doug!

Thanks for the kind words guys, it was a blast as always and I can't wait to get down to Mexico and do it all over again!