Sign in to follow this  
nighthawk

range finder help

I was looking into purchasing a new range finder but was not sure..... Zeiss 1300 or lieca 1600, or any other over 1000yrds

i have a leica and am happy with it. but if i had it to do over, i'd buy a swarovski. a guy i know has one and i think it's a little better. but you can't go wrong with the leica. no experience with the zeiss. Lark.

I've got an older Nikon that constantly amazes me. The thing has been battered, torn, lost and found...Even with dirty lenses, etc, it still does a great job, and I have to force myself to replace the batteries. It can go literally years of hard use and never show a low battery indicator.

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about the Leica, very little about the Zeiss - I'm sure either of those, or the Swaro, will be hard to beat.

On the other hand, Nikon, Bushnell and Leupold have made strides in lazer rangefinders as well. I like the idea of angle compensating rangefinders that Leica and Zeiss have not fully embraced yet, but I don't know how they perform in the field. I was told a couple years back at SHOT show by a Leica rep that Leica was the only brand that does everything "in-house" and they hadn't found a way to truly incorporate angle calculations - inferring that the other brands were not as accurate as they claimed.

For what it's worth, if you go with either of the brands you are considering, you'll end up with a quality piece of equipment. But IMO, if it's not built into a set of binocs, it just seems like a lot of money to drop for a stand-alone range finder. I'm still hoping Vortex will partner with the companies behind the other Asian manufactured range finders and come up with an affordable binocular/range-finder combo that has the optics of a Vortex and the range-finding abilities of a Nikon/Leupold for under a grand.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. If you want the best range finder on the market today, buy the Leica. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for all the inputs!! I'm thinking leica maybe even 1200 model if I can find it

Leica 1200 will be all you ever need unless you are planning on shooting out past 1200 yards? Scuttlebutt is on plains hunts like antelope in Wyoming/Montana where there is very little to mic the Leica seems to always acquire the target for you. Plus their waranty even past the two years is incredible to say the least!

I've got the zeiss 1300 and it works great. I have ranged cattle at 1200 yrds on a sunny day with no problem.

I have the Leica 1200 and ranged a deer at 1227 on my hunt two weeks ago. Thinkning about selling it and my Swaros to get the Geovids. Hard to go from 15 power to 7 and try and glass a deer in brush.

I have the Leica 1200 and ranged a deer at 1227 on my hunt two weeks ago. Thinkning about selling it and my Swaros to get the Geovids. Hard to go from 15 power to 7 and try and glass a deer in brush.

is it the new 1200?? how much u want?