Kilimanjaro

Our Oct 36C hunt

Shiras, it was more than enough gun. It dropped my bucks in his tracks at 250yds, and on Kev's buck, he put 1 shot into the boiler room at 390 yds. The buck took about 4 or 5 steps, and fell over stone dead. We were shooting handloads with the new Barnes tripleX bullets. Seemed like good coues medicine to me!!

Scottyboy, I love hunting Mearns. I've seen a few in your unit as well as, running into a covey of masked bobwhites almost on the border. Sure is a neat unit. How is the access situation now? I understood that last year some of the roads had been closed by the ranchers. Like the one by the cell tower which access the edge of the reservation.

I've never tried to hunt Mearns in 36C. I know there is some good looking country back behind the Sata Margarita, but its a LONG walk into there. I hunt them down around Sonoita and around Parker Canyon Lake. Those little buggers are basically the reason I decided to come to AZ. We used to come over here from TX when we were kids with my Dad, uncles, and Grandad and hunt them for a week. When I had the chance to move here, that was the deciding factor..More quail hunting opportunities :lol: !!

Quail hunting is just about #1 in my book. When Mearns season opens, I try to get the pups into them at least once per week. There should be a good number of birds this season. I can't wait till it opens...

Scott,

I enjoyed the hunt with you, Kevin and Rich. Sorry about the shattering death of a good beer :lol: . Are you on light duty now?

I was somewhat surprized that the 223 WSSM did the job at 400 yards and especially that the TSX exited.

Will you be ready for the Nov hunt? I recall its only a short? 3 miles to pack out. I do not know how long the other hunters in the group wil stay. I think Russ will only be able to hunt the weekend, and Steve? I plan on the whole week, if you have a few day off.

Doug~RR

Well I guess since you guys had a good reason not to show at the grubsteak I will let it slide this time. Congrats on some great animals.

Scottyboy

Great story and a couple nice respectable bucks. Tag soup is okay from time to time, but it does get old 2 years in a row.

Don't want to toss a blanket over the hot fire topic, but re-reading your post about the body size on your buck being small and the way it was charging a cactus, have you thought about having the CWD test done? Never a case yet in AZ but it is on the move. So many reports of large deer this one may not be a problem, but it is odd.

Is anyone else thinking about it or am I just paranoid?

The game and fish must be thinking the same thing. Cause they set up check stations in the lower units just to check for CWD. If i would of taged out i was going to take mine to have it tested. But i doubt thats the case here, i know i go running to the table if one of my favorites is being served :D.

Great job Scottyboy and crew! Two fine Bucks! I almost drove down there just to have dinner with you guys and get the real scoop on the illegals problem. Glad I didn't becaue you were packing deer out. I'll catch up with you sometime though.

TJ

Again, thanks guys. We're pretty jazzed up about being able to take two nice deer on a hunt that has such a low sucsess rate. I see why they are called the "poor man's sheep hunt"!! Tough dudes to hunt for sure.

Doug, you were right. i'm on light duty right now... and going to be for the next week or so till this thing heals. Talk about boring. :D

AZ, I think the buck was a healthy buck, just small. I was on the lookout for the Game & Fish guys, but never saw any of them. I would have had them check him out. He was danged sure munching down on those fruit!! I saw alot of does eating those things as well as the cholla fruit.

Tucson John, any time brother!! Just holler at me. I'm down there all the time...

They had a check station at Robles Junction. I stopped by on my way down friday midday and 2 gus got some nice bucks from 36c opening morning one I would guess was about a 100 incher

Good job guys! Those are very nice Coues bucks for sure, I heard a bunch of shoot'n goin on down your way the first couple of days. The mountains were particularly steep this year for some reason :D I got my son a couple of shots but we just couldn't connect, seen a couple of whoppers but no shots on them so I ended up taking a smaller buck on the 12th hour Monday, of course there was no one there to help me when I took him but I managed :D

Again congratulations

Great post and some good looking bucks! I too was going to remark on you beer handling skills but someone beat me to it :( . I too got payback for all the harm I have done to beer. On a Sunday morning we were sitting having breakfast and some one had left a beer out from the party the night before and it suddenly burst! I got a small but deep cut about 1 inch below my right(my shooting :( eye) eye. I should have got stiches too but I figured that the ER people would never beleive me or they might have thought the I was still drinking that morning.

I too would like to take you up on you offer to talk shop, maybe after the upcomming hunts pass a few of us could meet and teach you some beer handling skills :lol: !?!

:P