I have a Harris bipod and it has worked great for me! It's a bit heavy, but I don't mind, I like having the extra security of a bipod when I need it. Here is a pic of my setup when I shot a nice nontypical at about 400 yards. Extra steady with the tripod under the butt of the gun.

post-1-1291046807_thumb.jpg

I bought this one like 15 years ago, so I don't remember the model, but I think it's the HB-25s. It extends up fairly tall so you can kneel or sit up behind it like I am in the photo. and it has the swivel which I really find useful to keep the gun level.

I like the Harris. I am a fan of light weight due to the backpacking that I do. With that in mind, I like the 'Model L'. It doesnt have the swivel (to save weight) and it is a good balance between length and weight. It is 9-13" With a bit of practice, you can adjust one side or the other with your non trigger hand with the rifle cradled while watching your bubble level. There have been times the height was an issue being not enough. I have always been able to improvise using a pack frame or some other object. Most of the time though the height is perfect. For a non-packing rifle you could go a bit longer or have a double teloscopic version.

There are certainly other good bi-pods out there. The Harris is just easy to find, easy to use, durable and economical.

M

The moment of truth 2009. Had to be used with a tripod under the butt of the rifle:

DSCN1403.JPG

Moment of truth 2007. SHOULD have had a tripod under the stock. Got her done anyway.

10161DSCN1386.JPG

Got 2 Harris bipods, dont remember the models but one is the short one for prone or bench shooting, the other extends out long enough to sit down on the ground and shoot. They really seem great even though I have never used them to shoot an animal.

When comparing apples to apples, I don't think there is a better bipod than the SnipePod. The short (prone) Harris models are more stable than a sitting model SnipePod, but that's mainly because of the distance from the ground, and not necessarily the weight or stability of the legs. (A prone Harris is more stable than a sitting Harris, too!)

When comparing a sitting model Harris vs. a sitting model SnipePod, here are just a few reasons why I like the SnipePod:

1. More compact

2. Lighter weight (HB25S=19 oz, 30" SnipePod=6 oz)

3. Remains off your gun until you need it, and then quickly attaches to it.

4. Instead of the cumbersome process of moving a bipod from one gun to another, (or needing to buy multiple bipods) simply buy a handful of extra SnipePod adapters and put them on all your rifles. When you are ready to hunt, your rifle is already set up to handle the SnipePod and it's already in your pack. I have an adapter on each big game rifle, muzzleloader, .17HRM, .45-70, etc.

All the reasons above combine so that I keep the SnipePod in one of the small pockets on the side of my Outdoorsmans pack where it is readily available. All my hiking, glassing, carrying, etc. is done with the bipod off, which is far more comfortable and less weight in my hands. It is also much easier to transport my rifle in a vehicle or ATV. When the time comes, I can remove the SnipePod from my pack, quickly deploy it, and attach it to my rifle for a very stable platform.

By the way, if you only want a prone model, SnipePod makes a couple, but I have never used one. They weigh only 3 oz!

Good Luck!

Over the years I have tried several different bi-pods, and I always go back to my Harris. It is a bit heavy but, heavy = sturdy. I have shot several animals with my Harris. Also after trying many different pods I wouldn't use one unless it had the swivel. I also like the added feature of having a stand for my rifle while resting or glassing.

Harris, believe it is the 25C. I have 2, one cants and the other you have to fiddle with the legs on uneven ground. Worth the extra $25 to get the one that cants.

Harris, believe it is the 25C. I have 2, one cants and the other you have to fiddle with the legs on uneven ground. Worth the extra $25 to get the one that cants.

hahaha!! I'm such a dork....all this talk in previous forums i couldn't figure out what "cants" meant....DING DING DING!!! Light bulb is on now... :lol: :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The swivel Harris is the ONLY way to go. My dad is a little bit of a penny pincher... He bought a Outdoor Ridge (I think) bi-pod trying to save money over the Harris. It literally fell apart in one or two seasons. My bi-pods are both well seasoned and work like champions!

+ 1 on the Harris holding up well. Mine has been on my .270 constantly for over 15 years and it hasn't even had so much as a glitch when using it. And I don't remember ever really even cleaning it. It's designed to hold up to hunting conditions.

The other thing I love about having my bipod on my gun all the time is that you can easily set your gun down with the legs out and it's a fast and stable way to put the gun down safely. No searching for a tree to lean it against and worrying it will fall.

Harris BR bi-pod, notched legs and swivel, use it prone or with a portable tripod rest with my hand-cannons

nmhunter

post-12107-0-35395900-1392138815_thumb.jpg

post-12107-0-40130600-1392139060_thumb.jpg