Sign in to follow this  
Rembrant

Anybody bowhunt scrapes?

Well that's hunting Mike. I just got back from 33 where I was guiding a pig hunt. Man those whiteys down there were rutting it up for sure.

I forgot to mention that I got my trail camera film back and holy crap!!!!!! In 6 days over the same scrape 10 doe came in and 9 different bucks!!!! I was amazed at the pictures. The biggest was a 80ish 2pt and a hasbeen 80+ 3pt. His antlers were wrecked, he looks way torqued in the pic. I put the camera up on a different scrape to see what happens there. I think I'm starting to learn quite a bit just by on roll of film. I think that most all deer check scrapes, bucks and does. I've seen dozens of scrapes so far this month and only a few of them I'd consider to be regularly used communal scrapes if you know what I'm saying. I mean I've found scrapes that get forgotten about, I find scrapes that are used only every now and then I find these scrapes that look like they're used every day. Definitly starting to learn to read sign better too. I read a huge article on rubs in the latest N AM Whitetail magazine, very interesting. If you want to see my photos just send me an email and I'll send them to you Mike, Ernesto, anyone.

Josh

I would also like to see them. KGAINES30@AOL.COM

THANKS

i have a story that happened to me this year(03) after i had tagged out. i wasnt bow hunting but it shows how good of vision deer have. my dad was still hunting and they decided to go to a certain spot and send me back to go get the truck and pick them up. wel while walking back, i had to cross a few smaller sized canyons. in one of these i jumped a mature doe. instictivly, i dropped by a bush, but i tried something i had never done, i let out a mouth made bleeat, it actually worked, the doe stopped dead in her tracks at about 30 yards. she was facing directly away from me, remember i am kneeled beside a bush in full camo. i slowly reach for my binos and lift them up to see if its a buck or a doe. she imedieatly pinpoints me! i moved slow and she had me right away! she then bolted and was gone. thats amazing that she was directly away from me, i was camoed up, moved slolwy and next to a bush. just goes to show how good of eyesight they have!

casey

Sorry I haven't to you guys yet, pics are on the way. I need to get them posted on this site. Treestandman, what's your email?

Josh

I had a pretty crazy day yesterday. I got set up in a little pocket that reeked of Coues. I mean it just looked like a place there aught to be some deer action. I placed my scent on some tree branches about 25 yards out and kicked back under a couple trees while I rattled, grunted and bleated over a period of around 45 minutes. I didn't really go prepared for the cold morning that it was so I got the shivers really bad and needed to get up. I walked past where I'd placed my scents and there about 30 yards away was a huge scrape that I hadn't seen. This thing was getting some serious use over the past month or so so I decided this would be the spot for my trial camera. As I was hugging the tree trying to get the thing up I looked up and saw a button buck coming right at me at 30 yards. I was totally stuck and didn't move. He crossed the scents and started looking around. His mom came in behind him and I think the little fella finally figured out that I was there and walked back up the hill. Well I got back to putting up the camera and I heard something up the hill to my right.....here came 3 more doe and there I was hugging that dang tree again. I waved my arm and they saw me and drifted up hill from me. I heard something again uphill and left of me and here came that button buck and doe again. This time I knelt down hiding behind the tree. As I watched them I heard a limb snap to my left. I watched through the trees and at about 40 yards I could see parts of a deer. I stared and stared untill finally he came out. He was a super huge 2pt buck probably around 85-90"!!! My bow was behind me about 15' and I made a dash for it when he topped over a little rise about 10 yards from where I had been sitting 15 minutes before! I bleated and then grunted for the next 15 minutes but he never came back. He had a real wide spread and really orange looking antlers, great mass, eyeguards and G2's. I'm sure this is the buck that is making that scrape so I hope to have some pics of him by next week. I'll let you guys and gals know if I do. I found another scrape about a mile away that is getting trashed also. As I walked to it, after spotting it, I walked right up on a nice 3pt shed. I looked to my right and there was the match about 5 yards away. I was pumped. The sheds are from last spring's drop and are a decent 2x3 set about 75" or so. They were about 15 yards from the scrape so I wonder if it's him. I placed a 2nd trail cam over this scrape too so we'll see.

Talk at you guys later,

Josh Epperson

Guest Ernesto C

:rolleyes: Hey Josh rule # 1 never walk away fromyour bow/rifle not even when nature call (he,he) :( Probably those deer were thinking "what the ...... why is that guy making love to a tree?" :D

Thank you Josh and yes please keep us updated and congrats on that shed you find. Do you think they belong to the 2x2 you saw?

God bless you. Ernesto C.

Ernesto, the sheds I found were about a mile away and a lot smaller than the 2pt I saw. Definitly not the same deer. I did see this deer about 3 years ago when I had an elk tag there though. He was about 1/2 mile away going to water and was a big 2x3, I had him at about 30 yards but didn't shoot. It's got to be the same deer. I hope to have some pics of him soon!

Josh