Sign in to follow this  
matthewp45

Big Horn Sheep 2

I was a member of the hunting party that had the great pleasure of sharing the unit with Cliff, the other gentlemen that put his story up on here. Brian Johnson is my great hunting buddy and got lucky enough to draw a Desert Sheep Tag. We got to meet Cliff a couple of weeks before the hunt and I will tell you if you were to ever pick a guy to share a Desert Sheep Unit with Cliff would be my first choice. I speak for all 8 or so of us in Brian's camp when I say it was a great pleasure meeting Cliff and his gang and becoming friends with all of you on this unforgettable hunt.

Brian, myself, Jimmy, Craig (Brian'sBrother), Donny (Brian's Dad), Jimmy, Tyler, Lowell, Pat, John and a few others were all of the people that helped on this amazing adventure that started back in August when Brian and I put out the first camera. We all live with in 45 minutes of the center of the unit and all of us spent every spare moment we had out glassing trying to find the right sheep for Brian. Brian really didn't care about a score he was just looking for a beautiful ram that had character and one that would look great on the wall. We scouted from August until the day before the season opened and saw a lot of different rams. Brian had it narrowed down to 2 different rams a couple of weeks before the hunt until his dad found the one. Brian's dad Donny glassed this gorgeous ram a couple weeks before the hunt and from the moment Brian saw him he was thinking that he was probably the one he wanted. On a side note a couple of weeks before the hunt Brian told Cliff that he had a couple of rams he wanted to hunt in a certain area and Cliff being the great guy that he is said no problem we will hunt over in another area and leave you guys to hunt those rams. It made all of us feel good that there are still some great people out there hunting that are true sportsman and just all around good people.

Well, The day before the opener Brian's brother Craig found the big boy and lost him about noon. We never found him the rest of the day but we knew he would be close in the morning. At first light opening morning Brian's dad Donny spots the ram up on top of a ridge with the sun just lighting up those massive horns and gave Brian a perfect view of the ram. It took about 30 seconds for Brian to figure out this is the one and before we could say anything he is off on his stalk. The ram fed over the ridge and out of site but we were able to get an angle to get him back in our view. Brian made an unbelievable stalk and got to 180 yards. He laid down on his pack and put the smack down on this amazing ram. The only bad thing was he shot him straight through the heart and he went straight down tumbling down a rocky cliff for about 75 yards. Talk about a#$ puckering up but thankfully it didn't do a thing.

We all made our way to this monster of a ram and man was it an unbelievable moment for us all but especially Brian. He was an absolute warrior of a ram. We had him aged by 3 different Game and Fish Personel and one Official Boone and Crocket scorer and he is somewhere between 10-12 years old (He only had 1 and a 1/2 teeth left. Brian is having him mounted by Clay at Mogollon and he is an official B&C scorer and Clay green scored him at 171" gross. A huge congrats goes out to Brian for all the hard work and dedication that he put in to this once in a life time hunt. I know he is so thankful and appreciates the unbelievable amounts of time everyone in the "crew" put in to make sure his hunt went well. Brian's dad Donny, his brother Craig and good friend Jimmy, Lowell, Pat and myself spent to many days to count out there looking through glass all day to find the perfect ram and as far as I am concerned we did. Congrats buddy and thank you for letting me be a part of it.

brianssheephunt2010001.jpg

The Old Warrior

brianssheephunt2010043.jpg

brianssheephunt2010058.jpg

brianssheephunt2010037.jpg

brianssheephunt2010031.jpg

brianssheephunt2010035.jpg

Congrats again to Brian on a beatiful Ram! I got to meet Brain, Donny and Craig when they came to our Camp to see Cliffs Ram. Super Great bunch of Guys. Sorry I miss you Matt

Yeah I was really bummed I didn't get to see Cliff's ram but as you can see from my post in the elk section I was heping my wife get her first elk. I am sure I will meet you at the baquet or some other Arizona wildlife function or even in the woods some day. Congrats to all of you guys. You did it the right way too and got an absolutely gorgeous ram. You could not ask for more. This was my first real fully involved sheep hunt and I am hooked for life. It's like coues hunting, you glass non stop all day everyday until you find the one you want. Congrats again to you guys. Could not have happened to a better group of people I can tell you that for sure..

congrats on a sweet ram. nothing like a little hard work that payes off in the end. cant wait to see the finished mount!

tommy

Brian,

What an awesome animal.

Glad u were able to find the one you wanted.

Thanks for sharing the story Matt

I scouted that area a few times last year as my Bro N law had a tag. His sheep was around 162. (Sorry no photos)

We saw a handful of really nice rams Looks like you guys found the "right one"

Great job to all involved.

Holy smokes! That is just an incredible ram. I am really happy for Brian! Kudos to you and the rest of Brian's crew for finding such an awesome sheep. The mass on that ram is outstanding!

Way to go Brian and crew!

Nick

No one deserves the ram more than Brian,this was the largest sheep to come out of the unit in the last 25 years!!!!!!I can't say enough good things about Brian, and his group.We shared info back,and forth,and I really feel blessed to have had Brian as the other hunter in the unit.We'll see you at the sheep banquet.Cliff

Congrats