Sign in to follow this  
huntingfool

Our first 3-dog Day!

I haven't been out much for predators this year, I spent a lot of time getting my deer rifle set up to shoot longer range. So my free time has mostly been spent shooting that rifle. After elk season I haven't had much time to go out, but today my partner and I headed out for a half day of calling. We had a new spot in mind that we thought would be good and it payed off.

We were on stand when the sun came up and about ten minutes in this female came screaming in from my side. Man she was screaming, I had my rifle and Casey had his shotgun so I was gonna let her fly by me and let the shotgun do the dirty work. She got to about ten yards from me, hard charging the foxpro/decoy but then she hit the brakes. I assumed she must have seen Casey raise up and that he was on her, but he didn't shoot and she lit out the way she came. So I dropped her on the way out, at maybe thirty yards. Turns out he saw her as she was hitting the brakes and thought I was gonna get her. I did:

100_3785.jpg

At the end of stand 1, Casey saw either a small coyote or more likely fox take off as he stood up. It got away. On the way to stand two we saw one cross the road, so we made stand 2 right there.

Stands 2-4 were dry. Stand 5 Casey saw one pop in and leave at about 15 minutes, no shots fired.

Stand 6 we were in more open country so we both had rifles, Casey had only killed one coyote with his AR (specifically for predators) so it really needed some action. At maybe 3-4 minutes I heard him shoot, the again, then again, then again... he hit it every time but it wouldn't stay down. He hit it low the first time, but had several nasty wounds. We are both surprised he needed 4 shots. Here's coyote #2 with the AR:

100_3790.jpg

Stand 7 was to be our last, and we made it count. Again, at 3-4 minutes I here Casey shoot...then again, and again. Again, first shot was low and he needed more. He was shooting 40gr v-max from the .223, he's thinking about some heavier bullets. They did make a pretty good mess, but both dogs needed extra shots. Regardless, we got them. Casey's first dog was a young male but this fella was a little bigger:

100_3792.jpg

So in all we made 7 stands, saw 5 dogs, killed 3. This was our first 3-dog day together. We've only been at it a couple years but we're improving!

Cant thank you enough Cody! That really was a good spot! You and I will have to go in there soon!

Those 40 grain Vmax suck!

That's a great day of hunting. Casey, you should try the 55 gr v-max. Hornady factory loads are about 3200 fps.

That's a great day of hunting. Casey, you should try the 55 gr v-max. Hornady factory loads are about 3200 fps.

That is what I am planning on doing. I used to shoot 50 gr NBT out of my 22-250 and they worked wonders. I was hoping the 40 grainers wouldn't exit but boy was I wrong! I literally emptied an entire mag into the first dog. He would have died but was flopping and growling and barking. In situations like that I shoot until they are dead and down.

First dog:

Setting up over looking a little draw and hill side. Jake and I were expecting to see any coyotes work their work up the draw, hopefully to the open hill for a 100-200 yard shot.

About 3-4 minutes in, I see a dog coming from my left on my hill side headed towards the call. I life my ar off of my shooting sticks and let them fall on me. The dog stops broadside at about 35 yards but through a little bit of brush. I shoot and the dog goes down. About 5 seconds after the dog goes down it starts barking/growling/crying. Now, I could have let this dog sit there and do that to attract other dogs but I dont believe in that so I shoot again and it stops the crying and starts flopping and trying to get up. So I shoot again... Still flopping.. Another shot and it quits flopping but is still alive so I lose another 40 Vmax to the neck and the dog finally dies.

Next stand, set up over looking a draw that is pretty open, looking for <200 yard shots. Again, about 3-4 minutes in I see another dog running hard at about 200 yards heading straight to the call. When he drops down in the ditch I turn to face the direction he is coming from. About 20 seconds later, he is at 30 yards, stopped broadside. The Vmax him hard (lots of blood at the initial shot) and he starts running/rolling all at the same time so I shoot again. Same reaction, stops him but he starts running/biting/flopping so, in goes another Vmax. This one finally turns his lights out. There was a lot of blood at the intial, and second shot and no doubt the coyote would have been dead shortly after the first shot but I would rather put another round in to anchor him than not.

The first shots werent perfect, but they were all killing shots. I was not at all impressed with the 40gr Vmax and will be switching to heavier ones very soon.

Would you consider getting a group predator hunt going? I have been out 5 or six times with just a few called in, but no hits.

I'm probably not gonna have time in the near future, but if somebody were to put something together I would try to make it. My schedule is gonna be very hit and miss here shortly.