Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

20% Bonus Pass CAUTION

The whole 20% pass thing needs to be dumped. If you draw a tag, good for you. If not, too bad. Try again next year. The whole thing is way too complicated.

Let me make sure I understand this. If I want to hunt in one unit (one hunt number only), I should put it in for both first choice and second choice, Correct!

No, for only one unit, you only need to put the hunt number in for first choice.

Putting the same first choice hunt number in first and second choice on the app would be used if you have a second hunt you want to apply for, but not want to draw it in the 20% pass and eliminate the first choice from being looked at in the 1-2 pass.

Good info Doug! So the down side of putting the same hunt number down first and second would be that you eliminate a choice in the 1-2 draw? Is that correct?

The whole 20% pass thing needs to be dumped. If you draw a tag, good for you. If not, too bad. Try again next year. The whole thing is way too complicated.

If it wasn't for the 20% pass rule, I would never get an elk tag, it needs to stay the way is.

If it wasn't for the 20% pass rule, I would never get an elk tag, it needs to stay the way is.

How do you figure that?

So do i have this right?

The first pass is done based on a " true bonus point system" where each person with the max or the most bouns points for there 1st and 2ed unit get tags until the 20% is filled for each unit.

The second pass is done off a lottery, where you are put in "the hat" for the total amount of bonus points you have and then the draw takes place..

do i have this right or am i still lost....

If it weren't for the 20% pass, some would NEVER draw a goat tag... at least with that 20% pass, a guy knows he'll get drawn once every 20 years or so for sure... which likely means one or two goat tags in a lifetime.

Arizona has by far the best draw system of the western states... you can draw ANY tag with NO points, but still get rewarded for building points in that when you finally get to max points you can get a tag in the 20% pass.

Read and understand the system, it's not that complicated. You'll only have to worry about the scenario that started this thread a few times in your life, as it only applies if you have MAX bonus points for the hunt you apply for first choice. You're not going to have max points for very many years in a row. That's the point of the system. If you have MAX points for the hunts you're applying for, don't put a hunt first or second choice that you don't want to burn your points for.

It's that simple...

If it weren't for the 20% pass, some would NEVER draw a goat tag... at least with that 20% pass, a guy knows he'll get drawn once every 20 years or so for sure... which likely means one or two goat tags in a lifetime.

Arizona has by far the best draw system of the western states... you can draw ANY tag with NO points, but still get rewarded for building points in that when you finally get to max points you can get a tag in the 20% pass.

Read and understand the system, it's not that complicated. You'll only have to worry about the scenario that started this thread a few times in your life, as it only applies if you have MAX bonus points for the hunt you apply for first choice. You're not going to have max points for very many years in a row. That's the point of the system. If you have MAX points for the hunts you're applying for, don't put a hunt first or second choice that you don't want to burn your points for.

It's that simple...

Well said MattMan, I think you should have chimed in a few pages ago.

Guest super jumbo

If they get rid of the 2o% pass it wont matter how many points you have anymore. It will turn into a true lottery and having a bunch of points wont help much when applying for units with thousands of applicants. I think that arizona has by far the most fair drawing system in the west, in that someone who has waited many years and accumulated many points has a better chance to draw in a seperate draw(20 % pass). Meanwhile people with no points or vary little can also draw the same tag thru the normal lottery draw. It would be a tragedy to get rid of the 20 % pass rule and unfair to the people who havent hunted their desired species for years and having many bonus points waiting for a special tag. I have 11 points for deer so you can see where i am coming from.

I'm fine with the 20% pass for sheep, antelope, goulds, and trophy elk hunts. I'd be alright with the 20% Dec WT tags and strip muley tags. It got me on a javelina tag. They wouldn't let me trade my 2nd choice tage for my 1st choice tag, even though both had leftover tags. I don't see the point for early deer hunts or javelina hunts. Now, I pay real close attention to what hunts I put in for 2nd choice.

It's that simple...

Well said MattMan, I think you should have chimed in a few pages ago.

+1... It is not rocket science..LOL. Good Post Matt.

Does anyone know what the max bonus points are for sheep?

TJ

Max points depend on the hunt for any species...

Max points for some sheep and tatonka hunts are well into the 30s.

Given there's likely not a 'bad' sheep tag in the lot, I gotta wonder what difference it makes?

All the info you need is out there for the taking...

And a guy can buy a tatonka tag for not much more coin than some wait 30 years to draw.

Not sure what you're saying. I've been putting in for 30+ years and then missed a few while out of work and now have 18. Just wondered, that's all. Thanks! :)

TJ