Well I'm back from my Unit 22 hunt. It was a great hunt. There was 4 of us in our hunting party, and we ended up getting 2 bucks. It was myself, my dad, my uncle and our good friend Jim. I didn't get that elusive coues that has been evading me for 8 years now here in NM, but I did harvest a neat nontypical muley. It was my first muley for quite some time and I'm tickled to death with him. I was actually glassing for coues when I decided to go up top to a big flat then move across to another good glassing spot. Low and behold 3 muley bucks was standing at the edge of the flat at about 250 yards. I didn't hesitate as any muley on public land is a great trophy in my book. I ended up getting the best buck of the 3 and like I said am very happy with him. Our friend Jim was the other guy to get a buck. He got his first Coues buck! Infact he had never even seen a coues before this hunt. He got a nice 8 pointer (eastern count) with one shot at about 75 yards. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little envious. I had been trying to get the gray ghost for 8 years now and here Jim goes basically on his first coues hunt and gets one. B) Jim is a great friend and I am so happy he got his first coues. It was actually the first one our hunting party has ever bagged, so we were all really excited when we heard the news. Jim is having a great year. Ealier this year he got his first Bull elk, now a coues and in February he has an Oryx tag. He's definately having a wonderful year. I did a rough score on him and came up with 75. I have some picutures of my muley but haven't received Jim's pictures yet. I'm going to try to post my pics now. Please forgive me if it doesn't come out right. It's the first time I've tried doing this. As for anybody interested in this unit, it does hold a decent population of Coues, but the country is pretty thick, making glassing difficult. I am probably going to try my luck in some other unit next season if I'm lucky enough to draw a tag. :lol:

Travis

post-39-1132450985.jpg

post-39-1132451004.jpg

Way to go Travis! Congrats on your buck. I like unit 22. My son killed a nice Coues in that unit last year. I saw a few muley bucks over there last year but none as nice as that one. Fantastic!!!

Scott

Travis, Thats a great lookin buck :) Congrats, sounds like you guy's had a great hunt ;)

Way to go man! I am looking at that unit for myself next year. Fantastic muley, and congrats to Jim on the coues. -Shiras ;)

Travis

Nice deal there!

That buck looks pretty tall.

Congratulations!

Way to be travis.

Nice buck!

Mike

Sounds like a great hunt, congrats to you both ;)