Sign in to follow this  
Lookin4amonster

My 2010 Antelope

I'll keep the story short and sweet. I shot this guy on Labor Day morning last year after 15 (count it) 15 shots! Now I would never admittingly share that too often, but I think laughing at your own humility is good sometimes and it humbles even the best hunters. PLUS, it will justify just how stupid a buck will become when he has a hot doe with him.

It started when we saw this buck crossing in front of us at about 1/2 mile with his nose to the ground like a dog trying to find his ball. He crossed over a ridge and my dad & I high-tailed it over there. When we got to the top of the ridge, the buck was sniffin' around this does butt with about 8 other does nearby. We set up for a shot around 300yd, squeezed one off, and missed high. (to save time, I'll give a brief description of each shot after) 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6: on the run, 7: high at about 400yds, 8, 9, 10: on the run, 11 & 12: buck standing broadside at like 250yds, I held perfectly on him, and I have no idea where I shot, 13: clipped his antler, and he spun around like 6x confused and looking for that doe, 14: low, and lucky 15: heart-shot from 372! BOOM!

Now I can honestly say that I've never missed more than 1-2 shots at an animal before it was harvested or in another county, so I consider myself a pretty good shooter. I can't tell you what happened to me that day, but if this buck didn't have his nose in this does tail the entire time, I never would have been able to harvest such a dumbass goat.

Morale of the story: Practice shooting often.

Here is what my dad said about the hunt in an email to close friends:

"This was no ordinary Antelope as It absorbed 14 fatel shots before secumming to #15. All joking aside, it is a great buck and even has a bullet hole in his left antler courtesy of " dead-eye". His horns are just shy of 15' and he scores around 72' total."

Me with the buck

Antelope3.jpg

My dad

ryansantelope004.jpg

My dad (profile shot)

ryansantelope005.jpg

Me packing the buck out

ryansantelope009.jpg

Wow what a story! Congrats on a very nice buck and thank you for getting it up on here for us to see. When things are meant to be there is nothing you can do to change it......it sounds like this was one of those times.

2, 3, 4, 5, & 6: on the run, 7: high at about 400yds, 8, 9, 10: on the run

8 shots on the run. that is a quick way to burn through some ammo for sure.

nice buck. thanks for sharing!

2, 3, 4, 5, & 6: on the run, 7: high at about 400yds, 8, 9, 10: on the run

8 shots on the run. that is a quick way to burn through some ammo for sure.

nice buck. thanks for sharing!

Well those dang things rarely sit still! You're right though, they were hopes and prayers.

Good looking mount. who did you use?

That is the same pose I chose for mine. (Wall pedestal, right turn)

P1020254.jpg

I used a guy named Ryan in Prescott Valley. My dad used him for my brother's antelope last year. (pictured below)

Mount1.jpg