mbiewer

ham weekend report!?!?

talking to a friend at a super bowl party for the low down on 37b (where im going this weekend) didnt give me much hope. Rudy said they hiked (each day) for 3 days and didnt see anything. He also said they woke up friday to a windy 19 degrees ( so with wind chill.....?)

Also said he bumped into some other group there that had been out camping in aniticpation of the hunt. with a total of 6 days for that group and they hadnt found em.

Makes my hunt this weekend look bleak. Hopefully with the warming weather itl help bring them back out of hiding.

you sure thats a dog skull? looks like a javelina to me.

99.9 surethat be a yote - no way a piggy skull

I'm 100% sure its a coyote. That's a crappy pic of it. It still had a little fur on it.

Saturday started cold and windy but warmed up nicely. Spent the day in 37A and saw game all day including muley buck and does, jack and bunny rabbits, big coveys of quail, a reclusive desert tortise and finally late in the day a herds of Javi's. Didn't get a shot off as I walked right into a bedding area and they didn't wait around for introductions. I hope they continue to bed in that are and plan to try again Thursday. Anyone have experience with this scenario? Will they settle back into old habits and use these beds again? They looked well used with old and new (wet and stinky) scat. Good luck to all.

Saturday started cold and windy but warmed up nicely. Spent the day in 37A and saw game all day including muley buck and does, jack and bunny rabbits, big coveys of quail, a reclusive desert tortise and finally late in the day a herds of Javi's. Didn't get a shot off as I walked right into a bedding area and they didn't wait around for introductions. I hope they continue to bed in that are and plan to try again Thursday. Anyone have experience with this scenario? Will they settle back into old habits and use these beds again? They looked well used with old and new (wet and stinky) scat. Good luck to all.

I understand they tend to follow routine so I would say yes, head back out in a day or two and get you a pig.

Spent a good part of the day tramping around 37B and didn't see anything of substance. Some old sign,but nothing fresh. Back at er tomorrow.

Well, yesterday in my fall back spot by pleasant was a bust. Right now I am sitting three miles north of the lake, eating a freeze dried lunch and enjoying the 3g coverage.

About half an hour ago, we kicked up a monster 4x4 mule deer and about eight does. No javelina so far though, it's starting to get frustrating.

Speaking of frustration, I'm amazed how bad the area has been torn apart by cattle and wild burros. 99% of the sign we've seen is from them.

I was in 37A. Missed a 25 yard shot with my muzzleloading pistol. Having trouble stabilizing .45 sabot slug in .50 cal. Gonna switch to roundball when I get back out this week. Luckily, I was able to keep out of the sight of a couple of yahoo walter-mitty types on quads who came poking around after hearing my shot. I've hunted this unit for years but lately it seems that these vultures are coming around more and more. They should spend a little more time scouting and alot less time polishing the rims on their red dodge. Just my uneducated two-cents worth.

i had a chance to get out Saturday - spent several hrs glassin a favorite bowl - no piggys but a couple hikers up thru the bottoms and quailers in abd around the wash - guess the piggy's have moved out as they -people - should have kicked them out or at least got some piggys movin - back out tomorrow - may try a diffeent spot -

http://Slayed one on opening day with my bow in 24a.. I always have to shoot an arrow over the top of em to get warmed up then if they stick around long enough I can usually stick one. Had a great time till i walked up to the dead pig then thought " why did i kill this nasty thing!!"LOL

Ron

post-963-0-67257300-1297215249_thumb.jpg