COOSEFAN

I KNEW IT!!!

Ever since I was a kid I just knew that Coues had to live underground! You can glass an area all day, front to back, and never see a deer....but in the blink of an eye there will be 10 of em' standing out in broad daylight! Or, you can watch a buck for an hour, take your eye's off em' for 1 second and he dissappears without a trace and is nowhere to be found! Similar scenario's are endless with these crafty little boogers and the only logical explaination is that they live underground in tunnels!

Well check it out, I finally have proof and it all makes sense now! These sneaky critters DO live underground!!!

I placed my camera at the entrance to one of these secret tunnels and I caught em'!

As an added bonus, I also found the reason why these bucks don't drink water....notice the 1 antlered buck, the explaination is stuck on his face! LOL! The older bucks in the areas I hunt rarely drink water outside of the rut. When the rut was on they were showing up on occasion, but when the rut was off they'd never show up! I watched numerous deer eating cactus and other succulents which I'm sure gave them quite a bit of water. Very interesting but not near as interesting as me finding their "secret tunnels"!!!

2010-11MexTC019.jpg

2010-11MexTC020.jpg

2010-11MexCouesPics06412.jpg

2010-11MexTrailcam3004.jpg

2010-11MexTrailcam3002.jpg

2010-11MexTrailcam3001.jpg

2010-11MexTrailcam3003.jpg

Alright, truth be told, this is a mine shaft entrance that is about 10 yards deep and has water in the back of it. It's still something that amazed me with how spooky and careful Coues are in nature, I had to see it to believe it!

2010-11Mextrailcam004.jpg

Hey Chef, I'm with you man, this pic is awesome! And not because it's mine, but I seriously think it's one of the best trailcam pics i've ever seen of a Coues buck! Mature Coues bucks are absolutely amazing and beautiful and I think this pic illustrates exactly just that! Makes a great screen saver too ;)

2010-11MexCouesPics06412.jpg

Jimbo.... :rolleyes: ...such a joker! HaHa :P :lol: Great pics! Your fav pic is a dandy, but a young buck, a true beauty! Next year you will be wanting to put an arrow in him for sure! ;)

that is a nice pose and a nice buck.

new pre-season scouting technique.....drill mine shafts. i better get started now.

Guest Lobo

Man thank you for solving that mystery for me. I thought it was either magic or I was just stupid. :blink:

That really is cool stuff.

Those are sweet pictures Jim!!!

I'm certainly not the coues expert that you are, but I never in a million years would have thought those spooky ghosts would go into a mine shaft to drink!! That's crazy.

What camera are you using? I've never seen such crisp trail camera photos.

Those are sweet pictures Jim!!!

I'm certainly not the coues expert that you are, but I never in a million years would have thought those spooky ghosts would go into a mine shaft to drink!! That's crazy.

What camera are you using? I've never seen such crisp trail camera photos.

Hey Blake, I'm a coues hunter "wannabe", and very far from being an expert at all! I just spent over 6 weeks in Coues heaven and I feel more clueless now about these dang critters than I did before I went! LOL!

The ranch owner told me he saw a big buck watering in this mine shaft last year so I gave it a shot with the camera. The ground was all rock so you couldn't see any tracks so it was always interesting checking the pics! I've got some amazing bobcat pics and coatimundi pics as well from this spot that i'll post later. The camera is a Moultrie I-40 which has an audible click when it takes a picture and always get's the critters attention but doesn't spook em'.