Sign in to follow this  
arizonaelitefreak

MY VERY FIRST PIG

I didn’t get to hunt opening day due to work, but when 330 rolled around I hit the gate running and got off the hill (flagstaff) as fast as I could I already missed one day of hunting with my son! So we get to the spot we wanted to this morning about 45 minutes early! As soon as it got light enuf to start glassing we started in there, glassed for awhile and nothing so we loaded up the truck and drove down the canyon about a mile more, my dads telling me “this is where I saw the pigs when I was on my deer hunt” at that very moment I saw something. I put the 15’s up and knew immediately that I had pigs. Signaled to my boss and his son (in the truck behind me) that I had pigs, we then pulled off the road started our hike, We got to just under 200 yards of the pigs and got my son set up , but he couldn’t find them in the scope, we tried to get him on them for about 10 minutes, I asked him if he was gunna shoot and he said ”no dad I cant find them, shoot! So I got comfortable found a good pig and BOOM! I shot right under her, and what we thought was 4 pigs turned out to be 15! They ran out to about 250 and one came to a stop and BOOM! Alls I saw was legs flopping and other pigs running! My son did get 2 shots at a pig that stopped long enuf for him to shoot but he shot right behind the pig! So we start up to the pig once we loose the herd and get to within 50 yards of the down pig and my son says “dad right there right there!” a real big boar stayed behind with my recently deceased sow, but he didn’t offer a shot before he busted, but we did find their den and a wallow of mud they had been using a lot! Im 32 years old and this is my very first javalina! Now time to get my son and my dad one ( and since I didn’t gut her right by the den Im hoping they will come back in and we can do it again tomorrow!)

post-3389-0-65376400-1298160099_thumb.jpg

post-3389-0-48656100-1298160136_thumb.jpg

post-3389-0-81946300-1298160179_thumb.jpg

post-3389-0-58141200-1298160204_thumb.jpg

post-3389-0-69307100-1298160229_thumb.jpg

Nice! Finding a honey hole like that will pay out for a long time to come if you can keep from over-pressuring them. It's funny what you mention about not gutting them too close to the den. I just talked about that subject with a buddy a while back and we both had come to the conclusion that it can really mess with them if you clean them too close to a den/bedding area.

Those little piggies are a lot more social and complex than some people give them credit for. Thanks for the story and pictures, now go get your son and dad into them. Nothing better than 3 generations hunting together.

I have to agree with coach on the three generations hunting together. Congratulations on your first pig. Looks like a nice one. Finding a den like that is a gold mine when it comes to pig hunting. There will be other bedding grounds in the area and once you locate them you have a honey hole for sure. If you would like a little advise I say try to close the distance as close as possible for your son to shoot. Keeping the wind in your favor will definitely help you achieve this. Good luck and I'll be waiting for your next successful post. :)

TJ

thanks guys , and tj yeah I try and keep my son around 100 or less but he is practiced out to 300 and is confident. but yes we are trying to keep him under 100 till he has more experience under the gun! you bet a honey hole were gunna keep her under lock and key!

Congrats Cj on your pig. I forgot you guys were hunting. Hopefully Andrew can get a crack at another one soon.

yeah bro today sucked ,it was cold and windy and rainy but he wanted to stick it out, we put some miles on today but no luck! my dads taking him back out tomorrow and after school if he doesnt have practice!