ScottAdams

Another Unit 27 Javelina

We busted yet another javelina this morning, the last day of the hunt. Johnny Lujan killed his first javelina today just up the canyon from the house. It was about 180 yards across a canyon and Johnny dropped him with one well placed shot to the shoulder. Johnny is Felix's cousin. You may recall she killed her first javelina Friday. I think Felix's may have been just a bit bigger. Sorry Johnny.

L1050029crp.jpg

L1050022crp.jpg

The hunting party.

L1050031crp.jpg

A view of the killing field from the house.

L1050032crppntrs.jpg

Hey Scott,

Just to prove its a small world, my wife picked up her aunt in Thatcher Wednesday and brought her to the valley to stay with us for a few days. Her aunt was telling me Wed. night about her grand-daughter getting her first javelina. Yesterday I see this post and realized that Johnny and Felix that both got their first javelinas are my wife's cousins! I downloaded the photos on my phone and showed them to the proud grandmother last night. Thanks for helping a couple more hunters get the bug.

Lee

That's funny Lee. Who would've thunk it!!! They were fun to go out with and I think both of them do have the bug now. Next on the list is deer!!

I never get tired of seeing that country around your house Scott. Some of the best I have ever seen. As for Johnny's pig being smaller than Felix's please tell him it's OK. I've shot a few pigs but never bigger than one my wife shot and she manages to out fish me also. Thanks for sharing Scott and good luck on the upcoming deer hunts. :)

TJ

I know I can never show my face around there again! LOL. :lol:

Me: Hey, anybody need help glassing?

Everyone: Uh, no thanks, we've got it covered.

:o :blink: :P

Oh man Jason. Everybody has an off day or two. Out of 6 days of hunting they only found pigs 3 days and only got onto pigs 2 of those days.

TJ, thanks. You and your wife need to make a run up this direction sometime.

Just wallowing in self-pity...LOL. That area is VERY decieving. We knew they had to be there, but following those hard-to-break habits, we just had to walk more country than we glassed trying to figure out the layout of the land, like any die-hard hunter looking to understand a new area would.

I think we both burned ourselves out the first day with a very early start, setting up camp and then trying to take in so much territory at once. We both set out on the first day with a quick trip in mind, not packing nearly enough food or water, assuming we would be back in camp in an hour or two. Somehow, we both endend up walking as much country as we could see (which turned out to be HUGE) just trying to figure out how the open areas tied into the the lower wash areas, looking for sign, etc. I know by the time I got back to camp the first day, I was cramping, tired, beat-up and discouraged. Bry was the same.

It's really funny. The areas there that have pigs just don't show the kind of sign I'm used to seeing. Everyting looked old - no new tracks, no new scat, no fresh rooting, and I was totally convinced that the herds had moved further into the foothills because of the pressure during the archery season, and that anything left were broken, small groups looking to find the larger herds.

Then you guys go out there and find them exactly where you said they would be. If there's a lesson to be learned, it's that once you know where they are, sit tight and keep glassing. Sooner or later they'll show up. Big-Bry and I just couldn't wait to walk every square inch of every wash tyring to figure out where they were holding up. Turns out, they were right under our noses the whole time.

However, I do take some solice in the fact that we did eventually find the "phantom herd". That was part of our continuing joke that we were looking for "ghost pigs".

We sure had a good time and truly appreciate your hospitality and guidance. Congrats to the hunters that were able to score on the "ghost pigs" and are now hooked on hunting. Great job getting them out there and giving them some guidance.

Take Care,

Jason

Just wallowing in self-pity...LOL. That area is VERY decieving. We knew they had to be there, but following those hard-to-break habits, we just had to walk more country than we glassed trying to figure out the layout of the land, like any die-hard hunter looking to understand a new area would.

I think we both burned ourselves out the first day with a very early start, setting up camp and then trying to take in so much territory at once. We both set out on the first day with a quick trip in mind, not packing nearly enough food or water, assuming we would be back in camp in an hour or two. Somehow, we both endend up walking as much country as we could see (which turned out to be HUGE) just trying to figure out how the open areas tied into the the lower wash areas, looking for sign, etc. I know by the time I got back to camp the first day, I was cramping, tired, beat-up and discouraged. Bry was the same.

It's really funny. The areas there that have pigs just don't show the kind of sign I'm used to seeing. Everyting looked old - no new tracks, no new scat, no fresh rooting, and I was totally convinced that the herds had moved further into the foothills because of the pressure during the archery season, and that anything left were broken, small groups looking to find the larger herds.

Then you guys go out there and find them exactly where you said they would be. If there's a lesson to be learned, it's that once you know where they are, sit tight and keep glassing. Sooner or later they'll show up. Big-Bry and I just couldn't wait to walk every square inch of every wash tyring to figure out where they were holding up. Turns out, they were right under our noses the whole time.

However, I do take some solice in the fact that we did eventually find the "phantom herd". That was part of our continuing joke that we were looking for "ghost pigs".

We sure had a good time and truly appreciate your hospitality and guidance. Congrats to the hunters that were able to score on the "ghost pigs" and are now hooked on hunting. Great job getting them out there and giving them some guidance.

Take Care,

Jason

Pretty awesome!