Millhouse

Tips for Turkeys

I have a couple camera's that I started using last fall. I have a spring turkey hunt and was wondering if anyone out there has ever set up their camera's specifically for turkeys. Some of you have posted some pics of birds. Is there anything you put out to help get turkeys to stop by?

I have put a cam out for turkeys and I focused on finding a patch of ground that greened up early in the spring. It was easy to find because I was in a rocky lower elevation area. But if you are in classic ponderosa pine habitat you might look for some natural trails into and out of open areas that should green up first in the spring....turkeys are naturally drawn to that type of area

You can use ground up feed corn, that will help!

Find a good water hole in turkey country and lots of tracks. The only thing is it attracts alot of people traffic and a camera might not be safe. Turkeys have a habit of following the same pattern most days so look for tracks on dusty areas along roads and trails. Then look at the direction they are traveling and follow that direction for signs of scratches among oak or berries. Good luck! :)

TJ

Here are a few pics of Turkeys I have been lucky enough to get... these were over water in a canyon in the summer.

turkeys2.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

You don't need a camera to know where turkeys are hanging out in the spring. Look for seeps and greened-up spots with fresh turkey droppings, and set up nearby. Same with looking for roosting trees: check for poop on limbs and under trees along ridgelines.

Bill Quimby

Like every one else is saying, green areas, look for droppings, and corn doesn't hurt. Once they find the corn, it will be part of their routine. Here are a few pics from last years scouting for the spring hunt. Good luck!

post-2457-0-61098100-1299351185_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-41541200-1299351640_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-20649300-1299351704_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-33813400-1299351745_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-05507300-1299351800_thumb.jpg