Sign in to follow this  
Eliteshooter

Inquiring 257 Weatherby setups,

Get as good as you can afford, and save an extra month or three on top of that. The .257wby is a good cartridge and will shoot a long ways with good loads. I would get into a scope with turrents that you can set up for long range shooting. No matter what flavor scope get into the lifetime warranty class.

Whatever you do, look through everything that you are considering. Some people's eyes are different, and what is the best for one guy may not be the best for another. Ballistic Turrets are sure a plus, as they turn a regular old duplex into a bullet drop compensator. I like my MilDot though, as I can make adjustments in point of aim out to pretty good range without changing settings. That is just me. There are also some pretty good BDC reticles out there ... though I don't like Nikon's because of the size of the aiming circles ... they don't really allow for precise point of aim. Again ... that is preference.

Enjoy your .257 ... in my opinion that is probably the best Quarter Bore on the planet.

I have a new, but has been mounted, never shot Zeiss 4.5-14x44 AO with Rapid Z 800 Reticle/Hunting Turrets, I would sell for $700. It would be a nice addition to the 257 WBY.

+1 on the Zeiss. I have a couple and they put my Lupys to shame. I used to hunt southern AZ so I have the 6.5 - 20X (I believe...I'd have to recheck) and it really did make a huge difference. With that setup, it made a 425 yard shot just childs play! I loaded the Nosler 100 grain ballistic tip for a long time, but have more recently moved to the Barnes TTSX on top of IMR 7828. I'm getting 3600 fps out of it. IMR 4831 is a good second choice for powder.

Ive got a nikon monarch on my 4x-16x. put a kenton industries on it and it works well. reticle is m dots. The buck on my profile found out the effects of the .257 w/110AB. 419yds

I bought a Rem. CDL last year that came with a Leupold custom dial scope, the scope worked very well as it came (used) with two elevation caps for different loads. However, the rifle itself didn't shoot well regardless of my efforts. This was the 1" model, if I were to buy another, it would be the 30mm model. Prior to this, I was using ballistic reticles for holdover at longish range. Recently, I've started dialing in the range as it is more consistent and allows you to dial in the correct adjustment for specific ranges.

You will love the .257 Wby. Little advice, keep the barrel clean and cool. It will heat up quick. I've had good results with both 100 gr. TTSX and 115 gr. VLD Hunting Bergers. Here is my setup. Remington 700 LSS. Glass bedded in an HS Precision stock, Timney trigger, Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 BDC.

Recently bought a 257 weatherby and as far as scope setup, i was looking at Vortex, Leupold, Nikon.

What rifle/model did you end up getting? And what did it set you back if you dont mind me asking? The reason being is that I am considering getting a .257 just because its a round on steroids and just for the sheer thought of having a bada$$ round.

Recently bought a 257 weatherby and as far as scope setup, i was looking at Vortex, Leupold, Nikon.

What rifle/model did you end up getting? And what did it set you back if you dont mind me asking? The reason being is that I am considering getting a .257 just because its a round on steroids and just for the sheer thought of having a bada$$ round.

Tyler,

The .257 Wby's come in both 24" and 26" barrel lengths.

Your going to want the 26" for optimal performance.

If you want to shoot the vld's I have two boxes I'll sell

Hi Casey:

PM me about how much you want for those two boxes. I won a .257 Weatherby in a Friends of the NRA banquet last weekend.

Bill Quimby