Sign in to follow this  
kidso

Spring Bear Sign/ Shed Hunting

Anyone else going out next weekend for the EARLY OTC spring bear hunt? A nice chance to do some shed hunting while keeping any eye out for fresh bear sign post-hibernation.

Ill probably be going out! Hopefully I can find some sheds that would be great!

Leaving tomorrow for three days. Will be calling for lion tomorrow and checking trail cams I set back in October. Hopefully they are still there and have survived the winter! Calling for bear on Friday and Saturday. Will report back when home. I kind of doubt the bears will be out, but it should be fun to preview the area before the archery draw bear hunt opens.

RETURNED from the field. Glassed miles of bear country and checked water holes and trail cams, but no scat, tracks, pictures, or any other sign of bears that have left their spring hibernation locations. I'm sure a few boars must be out there, but I came across no fresh sign. Oh well, it great exercise and beautiful views!

Nothing for me! A friend of mine was up in a different unit and was stopped by a Game warden that didn't even know Bear was open in his unit. I guess he had to make to make a call to his office to make sure. Pretty funny!

Kidso how did you do?

Anyone seen any sign yet? We are headed out for a few more days.....

I took my boys out last weekend and we didn't find any sign and couldn't glass anything up. It's been warm this week and I imagine they are coming out of the dens....

Buddy of mine was out Thursday and Friday calling and glassing in 23. No response and no new spring sign spotted yet. It should start picking up in two weeks after the OTC hunt closes.

THE BEARS ARE OUT UP NORTH

GOT A COUPLE SHOTS OFF AT A BIG BOAR BUT HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE RIFLE.

THE BEARS ARE OUT UP NORTH

GOT A COUPLE SHOTS OFF AT A BIG BOAR BUT HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH THE RIFLE.

Details buddy! Did you call him in, spot and stalk, or sit water? How far were you shooting? What color phase was he? What time of day did you meet him? Thanks!

Went on a fishing trip this last weekend to the point of pines lake area on the san carlos reservation, got the chance to see a nice looking boar coming down off the ridge to get a drink down at the lake. He was maybe 100 yards away and could care less about the people fishin.